AOL

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

AOL

Post by Silent Flamer »

Scoates never answer me . Anyone else here that uses AOL? I wanna chat using my Basilisk II AOL IM .
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Were you referring to AOL's built-in instant messager (FAT binary; PPC+68k)? Or the separate "AIM for Macintosh" (68k only)?

Also, you should know that AOL has more or less disabled practically all features for anything older than AOL 9.0. AOL 5.0 for OSX likely also doesn't work either, so you can be sure that if you have AOL 3.x or older (2.7, 2.6.x, etc), they won't work....... rather, they will connect, but you won't get any content. If you simply want to chat, I'd recommend that you simply find a suitable, stand-alone instant messenger/instant messager program that works under 68k and your version of the Mac OS. With that said, you can have a look here for the old AIM.... http://pure-mac.com/irc.html#aolim
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I use AIM via Bitlbee. There is someone called 'scoates2' on AIM, as I added them, but I am 'scoates2@mac.com' as I originally registered for use with iChat a few years ago.

Also, yesterday was my 20th birthday :)
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Back when I had more free time, I wrote a little guide about bitlbee in a 68k mac (with Stephen's help):

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/68k_instant_messaging
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Meanwhile, Stephen, do let me know if anything about bitlbee has changed so much that I should update the guide!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A bit late, but: Happy Birthday, Stephen!

Well, he's a....

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Indeed... happy birthday, Stephen. Enjoy your twenties.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Thanks.

BitlBee did get updated recently I think, but it is still used in the same way, so there shouldn't be any need to update the guide.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

I'm using AIM for Macintosh 68k v4 . I get Stephen's buddy icon , I can see he's online , and the system says he's away right now , which it didn't yesterday . So , the connection still works .