How can I install games on SheepShaver for Windows?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Axel95
Space Cadet

How can I install games on SheepShaver for Windows?

Post by Axel95 »

Hi to everyone! I'm sorry in advance for my not good english(I'm italian). I don't understand how can I install mac games on SheepShaver run Mac OS 9. I try with Monkey Shines, my favorite game. I download the .sit file on macintoshgarden.org, but when I try to open the .sit files, the system said to me: "The document "monkeyshines.sit" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found." And in small: "Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators.". Here an image:

I have tried to open other .sit/.hqx file but it's the same. How can I resolve this problem and why the sound doesn't work? Thanks in advance!
McIntosh
Tinkerer

REPLY x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by McIntosh »

Hey, go to Macintosh HD(or whatever the virtual hard drive is called) and select Utilities, Stuffit Expander, and the app stuffit expander. It may be in a different folder, because i havent used os 9 in a few months. You can drag any file with the .sit file extension to stuffit expander. The archive with the .sit extension shall make a folder with the archive contents(the game app inside).

McIntosh

btw, Ha! Cat_7, I beat you!
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

Hey, sorry that the program cannot be found. It's an issue when moving files from windows ntfs to macintosh hfs.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Hmmm?? Two installations of OS 9? You might want to disable one of those disks (remove it from the config, but don't delete the actual disk image).

Some advice I can give you would be to create a shortcut/alias of Expander onto your emulated Mac OS's desktop. That way, you don't have to keep going into your hard disk and then digging through folders in order to expand files. Just download your files to your desktop. Then when the download's finished, just click and drag the downloaded ".sit" or ".hqx" file onto Expander's icon.

Also, I believe OS 9 already comes with a fairly up to date version of Expander (v5.5) for that OS.... but if you want, you can always download Expander v7.0.3 (here: http://digsys.mac.tucows.com/adnload/206997_124129.html). Doing so ought to repair the file association for the ".sit", ".hqx", and ".zip" files on your emulated Mac OS. After performing the update, you'll end up seeing the proper icons for those files, which would look something like this:

McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

That's what I was trying to say! kikko's right. Just one thing: zip files end up entirely destroyed if they were created or used on windows, so stick with .sit and .hqx. (I always reccomend binhex(.hqx) best.
Axel95
Space Cadet

Post by Axel95 »

Thanks to both, but sorry I don't understand ;o; I haven't found the Stuffit Expander in SheepShaver, so I have download it from the link of kikko, but I don't understand how I can insert the file .sit of Stuffit in SS... On Basilisk I did: Computer/Users/nameusers/Desktop and extract the .sit file, but here in SS doesn't work like that ;o;
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Axel95 wrote:Thanks to both, but sorry I don't understand ;o; I haven't found the Stuffit Expander in SheepShaver, so I have download it from the link of kikko, but I don't understand how I can insert the file .sit of Stuffit in SS... On Basilisk I did: Computer/Users/nameusers/Desktop and extract the .sit file, but here in SS doesn't work like that ;o;
Are you sure that you -don't- have Expander in Sheepshaver?

Try this:
In Sheepshaver, click on the "File" menu, then click "Find" (or just press "Command+F", then type "expander". If you see a resulting list of items, try to find the Expander application and create a shortcut of it and place it on your desktop. Then use it to decompress the ".sit" files you downloaded earlier.

However, if you still cannot find Expander in neither one of your hard disk images (as seen in the picture you provided here), then you might be able to find it on your Mac OS 8.x-9.0.x installation CD. Just make sure that you mount and access the CD from -WITHIN- Sheepshaver, and not from within the host OS (outside Sheepshaver).

Assuming that you have Expander available on Basilisk, then another possibility would be for you to share a hard disk image between Sheepshaver and Basilisk.
1) Simply create a blank disk image. Format it (select the 'HFS' format instead of the 'HFS+' format) and mount it in Sheepshaver.
2) Copy all your ".sit" files to the blank disk image.
3) Exit Sheepshaver
4) Mount that same disk image into Basilisk
5) Use Expander from within Basilisk to decompress all the ".sit" files onto that same disk image.
6) Exit Basilisk
7) Mount the disk image back to Sheepshaver
8) Your files should now be able to use........ including the previously compressed Expander 7.0.3 update.
Axel95
Space Cadet

Post by Axel95 »

kikkoman wrote:Assuming that you have Expander available on Basilisk, then another possibility would be for you to share a hard disk image between Sheepshaver and Basilisk.
1) Simply create a blank disk image. Format it (select the 'HFS' format instead of the 'HFS+' format) and mount it in Sheepshaver.
2) Copy all your ".sit" files to the blank disk image.
3) Exit Sheepshaver
4) Mount that same disk image into Basilisk
5) Use Expander from within Basilisk to decompress all the ".sit" files onto that same disk image.
6) Exit Basilisk
7) Mount the disk image back to Sheepshaver
8) Your files should now be able to use........ including the previously compressed Expander 7.0.3 update.
In this way work, thanks! But I don't was able to install Stuffit Expander for fault of an error... By the way, now the system permit to me to launch Monkey Shines, but when I launch it, it makes a white screen...
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

You have to wait a pretty long time Axel, as I told you. About 20min or so for a 2.5GHz dual core.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

REPLY!!!!!!!!

Post by McIntosh »

Yeah, SheepShaver is in a beta stage right now. ;(

If you use it in OS X PPC, you should have a great experience! For now, stick with mini games on SS, and full-fledged 3d awesome games on B2.

I'm glad you got SS working so quickly! It took me almost a year to get it to work on my PC!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

As I wrote elsewhere: the program starts almost immediately when you use the old world rom ;-)

Best,
Cat_7