SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X 06-11-2010 available

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

yes I had a look but it seemed to be ok. currently in .sheepshaver_prefs

Code: Select all

cdrom /dev/disk2
which is the identifier for CD_partition_scheme

whereas the Western Digital vcd's identifier is disk2s0s2

it really shouldn't be trying to initialize it?

As I said it can be ejected and does not get 'inserted' into Sheepshaver again when it reappears on the OSX desktop, however, it does add a small annoyance on boot.

Also, bluetooth file exchange on the host will set the last device connected to (eg. a mobile phone) to Serial A in the sheepshaver prefs, which does not have a serious impact on me but i thought was interesting.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Well, the Western Digital being disk2, SheepShaver probably tries to mount it as a CD.

Try changing the cdrom line into

cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
which is what the line should look like.

The setting /dev/disk2 could be left over from a previous setup with an older version of SheepShaver and/or older Prefs or GUI application.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Hm I changed it to the directory you suggested, unfortunately the Western Digital VCD is still read.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Strange. Please paste the content of your prefs file here, so we can see for ourselves if there is anything unusual in it.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

disk /Volumes/My Passport/OS images/virtualdrives/MacOS8HD
disk /Volumes/My Passport/OS images/virtualdrives/HD2
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Users/(myusername)/Desktop/Shared
screen win/640/480
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 1073741824
frameskip 1
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile keycodes
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Nothing unusual about your prefs file. Apparently you use the disk images on a separate (external) volume/disk. I suppose that the "My Passport" volume is on the WD drive.

I understand that a VCD partition is mounted as a CD volume. That's probably why it is mounted in SheepShaver. If the issue is very annoying and you do not need CD-ROMs, you can try if disabling CD-ROM support in preferences (nocdrom true in the prefs file) prevents the VCD volume from being mounted in SheepShaver.

I suppose you need the protection. Otherwise you could disable the VCD partition using the VCD Manager: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/? ... ilitiesmac

Anyway, thanks for reporting this rare issue that may be encountered by users who use an external drive that uses a VCD partition with protection software.

BTW: Isn't the VCD volume write protected? It is not something to try, but I think that if one would try to initialize the VCD volume in SheepShaver, initializing will simply fail.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Actually I only moved the SS disk images to that external drive today, they were previously on my startup disk. Yes thanks for your suggestions, disabling cd-rom will prevent it from happening, and I don't need to use CDs within SS very frequently.

And also that VCD Manager offers an interesting alternative that I may try if I find this too annoying. I'm mostly just glad I know the cause.

And yes you are correct, I checked and it is read-only so initialization probably wouldn't work but I am not 100% on VCD properties so I'm not really game to try.
dtr01
Space Cadet

SheepShaver Hangs in Leopard

Post by dtr01 »

I have installed SheepShaver on my G5 running Leopard. I did the installation "by the book" taking all your recommendations. It works great -- for a little while. After about a minute, regardless of what I'm doing, I get the OSX spinning beachball and have to force quit. I've re-installed the ap, trashed the preferences file, turned off the auto clock-setting, all to no avail. Oh, I also installed SheepShaver on my new Intel MacBook Pro using the same files and it does not exhibit this behavior. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The first thing I would do is have a look with Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities/) if maybe a unusual amount of CPU time and/or memory is used.

Note that on a PPC Mac you should set Refresh Rate in preferences at a lower value, best not higher than 30Hz.
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

I just found out, that Apple is still providing the updates for Mac OS 9 which get installed via Software Update! :)
It's quite the opposite of what they do their other stuff, cut off old stuff and go with the new (which is good) so I'm quite impressed and needed to tell you. ;)
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

you don't mean system updates do you? 9.2.2 is still the final update. do you just mean certain software updates?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Or do you mean the update to the updater software in OS 9, which then finds no updates to the other OS software?
It's indeed a surprise that the service is still online after all those years, but it has also been delivering nothing new in those years.

Best,
Cat_7
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

I mean the updater software in OS 9. I had 9.0.4 installed and it found updates for the Software Updater itself and Carbon Lib which I needed to run DragThing.
Sorry for the confusion Of course they don't do any updates to it anymore, but I thought that service would be offline by now and was happy to see that they still have the files online. :)

Unrelated to that, yesterday, when I used OS 9 in SheepShaver I had some sort of freezes. The OS was still running, but I wasn't able to click anything. After a short while it worked again but I don't know why. Is that something related to SS?

Another thing is, I downloaded some .sit files and I was used to just double click them to get them unstuffed by StuffItExpander, but the Finder told me it didn't find the Application which generated it. So I had to drag&drop the file onto StuffItExpander. I don't think I ever had to do that back in the days when OS9 wasn't retro. Any ideas how to fix that?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

About the "freeze": When everything starts working again after some time, probably some software in the emulator or the emulator itself was temporarily unresponsive while being busy doing something. A real freeze can only be resolved by a force shut down of the emulated machine.

The issue with the sit files existed also before in OS9 running on real Mac hardware. It is sometimes related to different stuffit formats (there have been many). Although a later stuffit version can decompress archives made by earlier versions, the proper icon is not always shown in the Finder (and the Finder does not know which application should be launched). Editing the list in File Exchange control panel by adding and defining the file may solve the problem for similar files. Another issue in OS9 is that newly downloaded files are not always recognized immediately. In those cases the icon is revealed when the files are copied or manipulated otherwise in the Finder or when they are opened by the related application.

A SheepShaver specific issue is when the files are used while still on the Unix disk (or dragged directly from the Unix disk onto the desktop). Copying the files to another volume solves that.
dtr01
Space Cadet

Post by dtr01 »

Thanks for your reply. Activity Monitor shows SheepShaver at 187% CPU Usage and Not Responding. Here's a Sample of what's going on:

Sampling process 6173 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samples
Sampling completed, processing symbols...
Analysis of sampling SheepShaver (pid 6173) every 1 millisecond
Call graph:
1535 Thread_2503
1535 VideoVBL()
1535 jump_to_rom
1535 EmulOp
1535 PrimeTime(unsigned int, int)
1535 semaphore_wait_trap
1535 semaphore_wait_trap
1535 Thread_2603
1535 _pthread_start
1535 DarwinSysExit()
1535 CFRunLoopRun
1535 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
1535 mach_msg
1535 mach_msg_trap
1535 mach_msg_trap
1535 Thread_2703
1535 _pthread_start
1535 CAPThread::Entry(CAPThread*)
1535 HALRunLoop::OwnThread(void*)
1535 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
1535 mach_msg
1535 mach_msg_trap
1535 mach_msg_trap
1535 Thread_2803
1535 _pthread_start
1535 CAPThread::Entry(CAPThread*)
1535 HP_IOThread::ThreadEntry(HP_IOThread*)
1535 HP_IOThread::WorkLoop()
1535 CAGuard::WaitFor(unsigned long long)
1535 _pthread_cond_wait
1535 _pthread_cond_remove
1535 restore_sem_to_pool
941 __spin_lock_relinquish
941 __spin_lock_relinquish
594 __spin_lock
594 __spin_lock
1535 Thread_2903
1531 _pthread_start
1531 slirp_output
1531 pthread_kill
1531 select$DARWIN_EXTSN$NOCANCEL
1531 select$DARWIN_EXTSN$NOCANCEL
4 slirp_output
4 pthread_testcancel
4 pthread_testcancel
1535 Thread_2a03
1499 _pthread_start
1499 slirp_output
1498 select
1498 select$DARWIN_EXTSN$NOCANCEL
1498 select$DARWIN_EXTSN$NOCANCEL
1 _pthread_testcancel
1 __spin_lock
1 __spin_lock
36 slirp_output
31 slirp_select_poll
31 slirp_select_poll
2 select
2 select
2 slirp_select_fill
2 slirp_select_fill
1 __bzero
1 __bzero
1535 Thread_2b03
1535 _pthread_start
1535 TimerExit()
1535 TriggerInterrupt()
813 __spin_lock_relinquish
813 __spin_lock_relinquish
722 __spin_lock
722 __spin_lock
1535 Thread_2c03
1535 _pthread_start
1535 SDL_GetRelativeMouseState
1535 SDL_mutexV
1535 VideoInit()
1338 Delay_usec(unsigned int)
1338 nanosleep
1338 mach_wait_until
1338 mach_wait_until
171 video_set_cursor()
164 memcmp
164 memcmp
3 video_set_cursor()
2 dyld_stub_memcmp
2 dyld_stub_memcmp
1 SDL_LockSurface
1 SDL_ThreadID
1 dyld_stub_objc_msgSend
1 dyld_stub_objc_msgSend
1 _CG_spin_lock_try
1 _CG_spin_lock_try
23 video_set_dirty_area(int, int, int, int)
23 video_set_dirty_area(int, int, int, int)
2 GetTicks_usec()
2 clock_get_time
2 mach_msg
2 mach_msg_trap
2 mach_msg_trap
1 SDL_ThreadID
1 SDL_ThreadID
1535 Thread_2d03
1535 _pthread_start
1535 SheepMem::Init()
1535 TriggerInterrupt()
843 __spin_lock_relinquish
843 __spin_lock_relinquish
692 __spin_lock
692 __spin_lock
1535 Thread_2e03
1533 _pthread_start
1533 MakeExecutable(int, unsigned int, unsigned int)
1533 Delay_usec(unsigned int)
1533 nanosleep
1533 mach_wait_until
1533 mach_wait_until
2 MakeExecutable(int, unsigned int, unsigned int)
2 Delay_usec(unsigned int)
2 Delay_usec(unsigned int)

Total number in stack (recursive counted multiple, when >=5):
9 _pthread_start

Sort by top of stack, same collapsed (when >= 5):
mach_msg_trap 3072
select$DARWIN_EXTSN$NOCANCEL 3029
mach_wait_until 2871
__spin_lock_relinquish 2597
__spin_lock 2009
semaphore_wait_trap 1535
memcmp 164
slirp_select_poll 31
video_set_dirty_area(int, int, int, int) 23
Sample analysis of process 6173 written to file /dev/stdout

Thanks,
Dave
dtr01
Space Cadet

Post by dtr01 »

Oh yes, I have the Refresh Rate set to 7.5Hz.

Dave
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The data you give mean nothing to me to me, maybe someone else knows what they mean.

SheepShaver is a known CPU hog on PPC and runs best on Intel. You could try an earlier build to see if it runs better on your G5.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 091025.zip
dtr01
Space Cadet

Post by dtr01 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The data you give mean nothing to me to me, maybe someone else knows what they mean.
This is what Activity Monitor gives you when you sample the process. I thought it would help.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:SheepShaver is a known CPU hog on PPC and runs best on Intel. You could try an earlier build to see if it runs better on your G5.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 091025.zip
Thank you. This version seems to be running without a hitch on my G5!
asok4uuu
Space Cadet

Post by asok4uuu »

i've also dragged and dropped the rom file on the field for the mac os rom file and i've created a new disk of 40 mb. it still crashes.

i don't know what to do now.

maybe i should put the pref.app in the ~/Library/Preferences folder.

please can you help me ?

thank you.

(Ronald P. Regensburg moderator edit: website link removed)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Normally, when you strictly follow the setup guide, you do not need the SheepShaverPrefs.app with this build of SheepShaver. You will need it now because SheepShaver crashes which makes its preferences settings inaccessible.

When you use SheepShaverPrefs.app, it must be in the same folder as SheepShaver.app!

Did you create a 40MB disk to install a MacOS system onto? That will not be large enough for most installations.

- Which is you host system (which Mac and which OSX version)?
- Did you fully configure SheepShaver (in SheepShaver preferences or with SheepShaverPrefs) as described in the setup guide?
- At which point does SheepShaver crash (immediately at launch or at some point during startup)?
- When SheepShaver crashes, which SheepShaver related messages appear in Console? (Console is in /Applications/Utilities/)
abe
Space Cadet

Re: SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X 06-11-2010 available

Post by abe »

running from osx 10.6 i get the error that programs cannot save. I repaired permissions in osx, but can't get the disk util from within sheepshaver's os9 environment to work. is there another setting to adjust?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X 06-11-2010 available

Please explain more clearly:
- Which programs cannot save where? Are you having a problem with saving in OS9 or in OSX?
- Are you trying to get disk util to work from within OS9 ??? Exactly what are you trying to accomplish and why?