How to put games on the emulator?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

tom11
Space Cadet

How to put games on the emulator?

Post by tom11 »

Hello. I just downloaded Basilisk II on my Mac OS X because I have been dying to play Crystal Quest. I've downloaded the .sit file from Macintosh Garden but I have no clue where to even begin on how to put it on Basilisk. If anyone could give me a run through that would be much appreciated. Thank you very much!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you followed the guide here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... _osx_setup
then you have a disk icon on your desktop with the name "Unix" During the Basilisk setup, you entered a path to a folder in your basilisk folder, called "shared". (if not, make a folder called "Shared" in your Basilisk folder and use the Preferences GUI to set the "unix root" to the folder "Shared" you just made)

Everything you put in that folder will show up in the disk "Unix" when you open it from the Mac OS desktop. So place your game file (the .sit file you downloaded in Mac OSX) in the folder "Shared" and start Basilisk. Then open the Unix disk and move the file to your Mac OS disk. Then double click the file and the program Stuff-it should start, unpacking the game files. If not, look for the Stuff-it program on your Mac OS disk, start it and manually un-stuff the game file. If you don't have the stuff-it program, download it from here: http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/stu ... der_55.bin and use the same procedure with the shared folder to get it into your Mac OS hard disk.

Never execute programs while they are on the Unix disk or on your desktop (when they came from the Unix disk), always copy them to the Mac OS hard disk in Basilisk

Best,
Cat_7
Nik0511
Space Cadet

Post by Nik0511 »

I realize this is an old post, but it helped a bit none-the-less. I'm also trying to play an old game, Power Pete. I have downloaded the power_pete.sit file, and i have basilisk up and running fine, ive installed stuffit, s7.5.3, and HFVExplorer. Im confused on this Unix program / software. Is this required to getting power_pete.sit to run / open? (the trial version works 100%, i just dont know how to get the full version).
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You might be confused because this topic covers BasiliskII on a Mac with OSX as host. It shows a Unix disk which can be used to share files between the host and Basilisk. In Windows, you use the My Computer icon on the Mac OS desktop to access files on your host disk. So, there is no Unix program, it's just another way of getting to your files.

You say you can find the full game? You'll have to find that on your own, as we do not exchange such files here. A tip: Have you tried the macintosh garden site?

Best,
Cat_7
Nik0511
Space Cadet

Post by Nik0511 »

yea, i have found the game via another website. somebody else on this forum help me make a little progress, however im getting an error message when i start the game suggesting that i reinstall it on the hard drive, which im not sure how to do, as the mac os is just an emulator. (im confused, as i am not too computer savvy haha. ive just been reading forums / tutorials and hoping for the best)

edit: i have navigated to where you said they would be, as i am using windows xp, thank you for this tip! i guess ill jsut click around a bit and try to reinstall on the harddrive?
Nik0511
Space Cadet

Post by Nik0511 »

found it, ty for your help
jackidrude
Space Cadet

Re: How to put games on the emulator?

Post by jackidrude »

I was having the same trouble and following steps Cat_7 directed in this post, I would like to take it further for people who follow this post like me.

I have successfully have it all ready to play Titanic: An Adventure Out of Time (2 CDs) and when I dropped down the 2nd .sit file it said 'There is not enough room on the disk 'MacOS753' to copy 'Titanic2.toast_.sit' (an additional 79.4 MB must be thrown away first).'

Now what can I do make it work I wonder? Would someone kindly help me please? :sad:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am not sure what exactly you are trying, but you should not copy these files into the emulator.

You have two CD image files that are compressed with StuffIt

- First unstuff the .sit files on your macOS host with an application that can do that. "The Unarchiver" works fine.
- The resulting .toast image files can be added to the volumes list in Basilisk II GUI
- At next launch of BasiliskII, the CDs will then mount in BasiliskII
jackidrude
Space Cadet

Post by jackidrude »

Thank you will try that, I was copying the .sit files from Unix (Shared) to MacOS753 Drive then Unstuff them with Stuffit in the Emu, and try to open/install them in the Emu. This seems a better way, another post I have read confused me. Thank you very much!