Is there an x86 (Windows/Intel) emulator for Linux/PPC?

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kikkoman
Master Emulator

Is there an x86 (Windows/Intel) emulator for Linux/PPC?

Post by kikkoman »

As the subject title reads, I would like to use such an emulator to make use of a wireless multifunction printer/scanner that lacks Linux/PPC drivers.

Here's my setup:

*iMac G3/600 (with MintPPC 9.3; really just GNU/Linux Debian 6.0.2)
*Canon Pixma MP560 (connected via Wi-Fi only; no USB cable)
*Netgear WGU624 router

Note: The MP560, while Canon offers OSX/PPC drivers and i386 (intel) drivers, there are none for the Linux PPC platform/architecture. I also already pored through all the online literature and forum postings about trying to get this printer working on Linux Mint (for intel), obviously, all of those users have the right architecture, but I don't. =(
enriqueg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by enriqueg »

There is Qemu for GNU/Linux, but performance will be less than poor...

I use it on a G4/867, but under OS X, in order to use Derive 6 on my PowerBook with Windows 2000 and errr... well, it works. Anyway I prefer VirtualPC.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

So, does that mean one can print from within Qemu if he/she had the proper platform drivers for the guest OS (the one being emulated on top of the host OS, in my case MintPPC/Linux).

Actually, now I'm wondering if it's possible to use something like Mac-on-Linux to install OS X Tiger, and then install the printer drivers on that..... so I'll have both MintPPC/Linux running a virtualized/emulated OS X Tiger, hoping that at least I can print from within the virtual Tiger environment... thoughts anyone?

It sucks though, since it'd be so much simpler if Canon just played nice and made some PPC drivers for this great printer for Linux.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

There is Mac-on-Mac.