Copland OS?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

fanman93
Granny Smith

Copland OS?

Post by fanman93 »

After rummaging around the Macintosh Garden, I found the "original" Mac OS 8, Copland OS. Would this work, in theory, in Basilisk II, or does it require extremely specific hardware?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I reckon you might need an MMU for that, which is not emulated. But that's just an assumption.

Here's a thread on 68kmla about installing it on actual Macs:

http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=650
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

My earliest memory of the Copland OS was when I purchased a 1995 or 1996 issue of MacUser magazine, here in the U.S. that also had a "Mac OS 8 Tour" CD that came with it. The magazine cover depicted a Mac screen that had the "Techno" theme (aka the 'P-Theme') applied.

Not to go totally off topic, but back on the old AOL (America Online) and eWorld forums (about late 1995, early 1996-ish) and their respective user-uploaded file libraries, there were even fan-art pieces that depicted their take on what even the follow-up OS ("Gershwin") would look like. Drop-shadows, anti-aliasing, multi-user login-screens, glowing effects, transparent menubars, 32-bit icons.... lots of eye-candy for the time (obviously all done in Photoshop 3.x-4.x). It is such a shame no one saved all those user-submitted artworks for posting outside those of those ISP's once they caved-in.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

"Copland" was the code name for the completely new OS that was to replace the aging MacOS. It was never released and as far as I know it never even reached a fully featured beta stage. Instead, further versions of MacOS (8 and 9) were released. When it became clear that Copland was a failure and that further development would be useless, Apple was said to consider BeOS as a possible candidate for its new OS. Finally Apple acquired NeXT, and with it the NeXTSTEP OS (and Steve Jobs), and could build its MacOS successor, MacOSX, on the foundation of NeXTSTEP.

Considering the years in which was being worked on Copland, I suppose that one would need a PPC Mac to run anything from that project.

(Apart from Copland itself, there was software around that would provide appearance themes (like the above mentioned Techno theme) to MacOS that were said to look like what Copland would look like.)
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

I'll give it a try and see what happens. There was actually documentation with the archive I downloaded (!), so that will probably be helpful. Being that it's the official Mac PDF for it, I don't suppose that they got anything wrong.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I take it you never got anywhere?
My attempt went like this:
Attempt to install over 7.6.1 in BII
-> Errors out saying it requires a PPC to run
Attempt to install over 7.6.1 in SheepShaver
-> Errors out saying it requires a HDD formatted for OS 8 and to run the custom Disk Utility
Knowing the result but attempting anyway: fire up Copland Disk Utility, and see a nice blank space where a real computer would show the attached SCSI drives.

I'm stumped at this point....
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Knowing the result but attempting anyway: fire up Copland Disk Utility, and see a nice blank space where a real computer would show the attached SCSI drives.
Yeah, SheepShaver/Basilisk II don't actually emulate SCSI hard drives, just "disk images". The only way to get around this caveat would be to use an actual SCSI drive or somehow emulate a SCSI drive (no idea how). SoftMac does emulate a SCSI hard drive, but that won't help in this case.