Sheepshaver and my Laser Writer 16/600 PS

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Sheepshaver and my Laser Writer 16/600 PS

Post by rlesperance »

Hi,

I enjoy very much being able to use OS 9 on my Snow Leopard iMac. Is is great ... From the beginning, I have been using PrintToPDF with a folder action to print. I wonder if there a new trick to connect directly to my printer through the OS 9 Chooser ?

I thank the community for all the background work.

Regards.

Robert Lespérance
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver and my Laser Writer 16/600 PS

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Is your printer connected to your host through the ethernet connection? And do you know its IP address?
If so, you might use the direct printing method supported through the desktop printer utility.

Our forum has extensive covering of the subject here:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=3331 (see the first post by our member "emendelson")

Best,
Cat_7
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi Cat_7,

Oups ... It is connected to ethernet and I know my IP address. I forgot to say that I am using Classic-on-Intel !!! Can I configure COI ?

Thanks for helping !

Robert
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

COI is just a "blanket of usability" draped around SheepShaver. Your work should be done inside Mac OS, not in configuring COI.
If you can use the internet from within SheepShaver you should be able to configure the desktop printer utility. You should find the utlilty in the Apple Extra/Apple Laserwriter software folder. If the software is not there, you can download it from Apple.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And I've finally updated my post on printing methods to include Ronald's warning about Stealth Mode. Cat_7 and Ronald: If you've reproduced that posting elsewhere on the site, please feel free to update it with the new version.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Cat_7 wrote:COI is just a "blanket of usability" draped around SheepShaver. Your work should be done inside Mac OS, not in configuring COI.
If you can use the internet from within SheepShaver you should be able to configure the desktop printer utility. You should find the utlilty in the Apple Extra/Apple Laserwriter software folder. If the software is not there, you can download it from Apple.
I have never used internet from within SheepShaver. I only use an accounting software. I have the Apple Printer utility v2.1, Apple Chooser utility v7.6.2 and LaserWriter 8.7.1 chooser item installed. When my printer is opened, from the Chooser and when the LaserWriter icon is selected or from the Apple Printer Utility, I don't see my LaserWriter item.

When I installed COI at first, I remember that it was recommended to use PrintTo PDF because there was a problem printing directly to a PostScript printer.

Can you be more specific has to what I should do to use my printer directly from within COI ? Regards.

Robert Lespérance
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Forget about the Chooser, you cannot use it in SheepShaver (or COI) to print to an actual printer. You need to set up a desktop printer using the Desktop Printer Utility.

Here is a description about how to print to any shared printer on the OSX side: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 175#p29175

It should also be possible to set up a desktop printer directly to your LaserWriter printer in your network. You follow essentially the same procedure, but now the printer does not need to be shared at the OSX side and you enter the IP-address of the printer instead of the IP-address of your host Mac. If your LaserWriter's printer description is installed , you may even be able to choose that one in the Printer Utility instead of "General".

Again, do not use the Chooser!
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi Ronald ...

Excuse my ignorance. What is the Desktop Printer Utility ? If you are talking about creating a printer on the OS X side, that as already be done. How do I select the printer when I want to print from within my application running on the OS 9 side ?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

See my post:
You need to configure SheepShaver to be able to use the network/internet before any of this can work.

After you followed the guide on getting the printer configured, you can select it in the printing dialogue of any application you want to print from.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Got it ... I will be back !
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

In item 1 of the guide, am I looking for my printer's or my computer's IP address ? The guide's description seems to be referring to my computer's IP address. If this is what I am looking for, the verification in step 7 does not work, but works with my printer's IP address.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

rlesperance wrote:In item 1 of the guide, am I looking for my printer's or my computer's IP address ? The guide's description seems to be referring to my computer's IP address. If this is what I am looking for, the verification in step 7 does not work, but works with my printer's IP address.
The guide is designed to let you print to any printer (PostScript or not) that is accessible from your OS X computer, and step 1 says the following, which makes it very clear that you're looking for your Mac's IP address (notice the phrase that says "this is your Mac's IP address"):
In OS X, click the Apple menu, then About This Mac, then More Info... Under Network, find the IP4 address; this is your Mac's IP address on your network. It will be something like 10.0.1.15, but almost certainly will be a different set of numbers. Write it down. Close the System Profiler (the program that displays the information you wrote down.)
Verification is guaranteed to work with OS 9.04 under SheepShaver if (and only IF) you followed all (and that means ALL) the instructions exactly (and that means exactly in and every detail, not omitting or changing ANY step). If you omit or change ANY step, then the procedure is guaranteed NOT to work.

However, if your printer is (1) a PostScript printer and (2) on your network with its own IP address (as your LaserWriter seems to be), then you can ALSO follow Ronald's advice in a previous message, where he wrote:
It should also be possible to set up a desktop printer directly to your LaserWriter printer in your network. You follow essentially the same procedure, but now the printer does not need to be shared at the OSX side and you enter the IP-address of the printer instead of the IP-address of your host Mac. If your LaserWriter's printer description is installed , you may even be able to choose that one in the Printer Utility instead of "General".
Whichever method works is all you need. Printing directly to the IP address of your printer is obviously preferable to going through the host Mac, provided that it's physically possible because (1) your printer has an IP address and (2) it is a PostScript printer (as the LaserWriter is).
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi emendelson,

I asked the question of the IP address because in my case I was not able to verify my computer's IP address but was able to verify my printer's IP address.

I followed religiously all the steps and did everything that was asked in the guide, until I was not able to verify my computer's IP address. I the decided to try the printer's IP and the verification process worked. Then I was able to begin creating a Desktop Printer but I was not able to complete the process. The window where I was asked to name this printer didn't have any SAVE button. It had only a CANCEL button. SO I stopped there ...

You recommend that I print directly to my LaserWriter since it has it's own IP address. Does that modify any steps in the guide ? Should I choose another type of printer than LPR ?
What could be the reason that there is no SAVE button in the window where I was asked to name my Desktop Printer ?

I appreciate your and everyone else's patience ... Regards.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

I have the Desktop Printer Utility v FU1-1.3 while my system is in English. Could this utility be outdated or creating conflict ? What is the latest version I should have ?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

rlesperance wrote:Then I was able to begin creating a Desktop Printer but I was not able to complete the process. The window where I was asked to name this printer didn't have any SAVE button. It had only a CANCEL button. SO I stopped there ...
Is there an "OK" button in addition to a "Cancel" button? If so, click the "OK" button.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Neither one !!! There is no SAVE or OK button in the window where I name the Desktop Printer ... I have no way to close that window other that by pressing the Escape button on my keyboard. Funny enough :!: :!: :!:

I have the Desktop Printer Utility v FU1-1.3 while my OS 9.0.4 system is in English. Could this utility be outdated or creating conflict ? What is the latest version of the DPU I should have ?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

rlesperance wrote:I have the Desktop Printer Utility v FU1-1.3 while my OS 9.0.4 system is in English. Could this utility be outdated or creating conflict ? What is the latest version of the DPU I should have ?
I have version 1.2. Perhaps you should download the Adobe PostScript driver and see if that contains a working version of the Desktop Printer Utility:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=1494

At this point, my best suggestion is that you stop wasting your time trying to use COI (which is a very messy solution), and set up your own copy of SheepShaver and OS 9, according to the instructions in the Wiki on this site. That method is guaranteed to work correctly. I looked at COI only once, but I remember thinking that the Mac OS part was not very well put together.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Mixing language versions sometimes does not work properly. I do not know if that is an issue with the Desktop Printer Utility (DPU). Version 1.2 of the DPU comes with the MacOS9 installation, but it is omitted in COI. I do not know where you got your version of the DPU. I suppose version 1.3 should work. Did you install it properly?

When setting up a LPR printer to a PostScript printer in your network, you can indeed add the IP-address of the printer instead of the address of the host Mac.

This is how it should look when saving the printer to the desktop:

(I agree with emendelson that COI is not a good solution. We do not support COI here.)
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi emendelson and Ronald,

The Desktop Printer Utility included in the Adobe link worked. Thank you very much. I got back the OK button. I was able to create the printer and also to print. That is great.

I was also able to create a second Desktop Printer to my USB networked HP OfficeJet 8500 printer. I see the printer in the printing preferences window, but the print result is ASCI characters. Can you help me with this one ?

Thanks again.

Robert

P.S. For now I am sticking to COI because it as been very stable compared to the version of SheepShaver that I tried initially. Maybe that now is different. I will give it a try.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

rlesperance wrote:I was also able to create a second Desktop Printer to my USB networked HP OfficeJet 8500 printer. I see the printer in the printing preferences window, but the print result is ASCI characters. Can you help me with this one ?
Yes. Follow the instructions in the post to which we pointed you originally - about using a shared OS X printer. If you can't make it work, then something is wrong in COI, and it's time to stop wasting your time with it.

All the information you need is in the instructions in the wiki and these posts. If you do something else instead (like using COI), then you make it rather difficult for other people to help you - and if you use the instructions on the wiki, then you probably won't need to ask other people to help at all, because the instructions are extremely clear.

From this point on, I'm going to pay attention to what Ronald said in a previous message: "This forum doesn't support COI." Ronald, I apologize for ignoring that policy and setting a bad example.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If printing to your LaserWriter printer works in COI, it should also be possible to print to your HP OfficeJet printer. But for the HP printer you need to make sure that the printer is the default printer in MacOSX, that the printer is shared in MacOSX, and that the IP-address of the host Mac is entered in the LPR desktop printer setup, not the IP-address of the printer. All exactly as is described in the post we linked to above. Note that to be able to set up printing to a shared printer, the firewall on the host Mac must be temporarily disabled, especially "stealth mode" must be disabled. With stealth mode enabled Desktop Printer Utility cannot verify the IP-address. Stealth mode can be enabled again after the setup.