Hypercard and visual effects

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ceraphei
Space Cadet

Hypercard and visual effects

Post by Ceraphei »

Hello, I have a pesky issue with SheepShaver that renders my ability to use Hypercard (my main usage of running the emulator) very difficult.

The issue is that SheepShaver will not show any visual effects at all, it just skips straight to the card when the visual effects are supposed to occur. If you don't know what visual effects are, they are the effects that you can setup to go from one card to the next (e.g. dissolve, venetian blinds, push, etc.). This happens in all stacks. The only way I can get visual effects to show up is to go into the settings and turn off JIT Compiler, but this in turns makes the emulator way too slow to do anything.

As far as I can tell, this issue is prevalent from all the versions of SheepShaver I've used from the beginning and I've updated to the latest version without any luck.

I've searched around and nobody has mentioned this problem. I'm using the Windows version of SheepShaver, if it makes a difference. But whether it's Windows XP, Vista, 7, 32-bit or 64-bit it doesn't matter.

Any insight or help would be great.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Hypercard and visual effects

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I don't know if it's relevant, but what version of Quicktime are you using in SheepShaver? The best version would be 4.1.2. If you have a higher version installed, you need to manually remove all files related to quicktime before installing a lower version.

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hi,
would you like to provide a sample file maybe?
Different Mac OS and different hosts may show diverging results.
Some here might want to try...
Best wishes!
Ceraphei
Space Cadet

Post by Ceraphei »

I'm using Quicktime 4.1.2 as you suggested, I don't think it has anything to do with Quicktime because visual effects work fine if JIT compiler is turned off (it's just too slow to do so).

I made a test stack so I'm hoping others can test this and see if it's just a problem with my configuration. I even believe it's just a universal issue with SheepShaver and maybe Windows.

Here is the stack. Just very simple button that goes to the next card, but I put in visual effect dissolve. So if it works, it should dissolve into the next card, not just jump straight to it. Make sure you turn on JIT compiler before testing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4em4lwpvdgczic4

Thanks!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I did not try all possible setups, but SS on OSX 10.6.8 will not play the transition, regardless of OS or JIT.
BII however does play the file correctly on a 10.6.8 host with OS8, JIT enabled or disabled.
I will have to look at my Windows/Linux box still.

Edit: Done.
No luck with the Shaver. BII will do the transitions as written above on the two hosts I tried:
W7 Ultimate64, Mandriva64. Maybe HypercardCard feels a bit more at home in 68k emulation?
The HCard Player is 68k and PPC code though.
FusionPC might be interesting to try too, some old apps run like a charm with Fusion, old SoundManager calls are working fine as well.

...MiniVMac System 6.08 is doing a lot better with your transition. Its not that sluggish, did you try?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thinking of some old B/W games unplayable because way too fast with SheepShaver:
Could it be, that the visual efects are actually played - just too fast to be seen?
The only emulator with speed adjustment I´m aware of is MiniVMac, so thats probably the way to go.
pgo_japan
Space Cadet

Post by pgo_japan »

Hi,
I had problems with visual effect on BasiliskII and on MacOSX.
This stack converts target stack's effects to drawing by XCMD.
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA019519 ... ct0.95.zip
Ceraphei
Space Cadet

Post by Ceraphei »

Thank you, I guess I'll give BII a try. Although I'd prefer to just use one emulator for both 68k and PPC apps. Hope it gets patched soon.
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

Do you have "Allow emulated CPU to idle" checked in SS prefs? If not, try checking it and see if that may fix the problem.