PearPC for OSX available

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

PeterAhlstrom
Space Cadet

Re: PearPC for OSX available

Post by PeterAhlstrom »

Hi all,

I managed to use the JIT version in wine (on Snow Leopard) to install 10.2. Now my big question is: What's a good way to transfer files while PearPC is running?

Networking:
I don't know how to get it running. Solutions I've found are for a Windows host.

Disk image:
I tried mounting a small slave drive img in 10.2 and 10.6 at the same time, but it seems that changes are made to the img from within 10.2 only when PearPC quits, and 10.2 can't see any files added to the img from 10.6 while 10.2 is running. So basically, I can transfer files using this slave img only when PearPC is not running. It's far from an ideal solution...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

PeterAhlstrom wrote:I tried mounting a small slave drive img in 10.2 and 10.6 at the same time
You should not have volumes mounted in the two systems at the same time. Not only does it not work as you hoped it would, but you risk file system corruption on the volume.
ElGuillermo
Student Driver

Post by ElGuillermo »

I'm not a Mac OSX expert, but I think this OS can create a "fake" ethernet port, just as the Windows tool used to communicate with PearPC does.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

PearPC requires a tap networking device to be available in windows for networking. Perhaps you can try to install the OpenVPN solution (you only need the tap device installed).
I don't know if Wine for OSX supports networking at all, though.

Best,
Cat_7
ElGuillermo
Student Driver

Post by ElGuillermo »

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That driver doesn't work with PearPC in Wine. PearPC's code specifically looks for a network device called "tapX" in the windows registry. That's why you need a tap device installed in the Windows that Wine provides.

I don't know if and how the PearPC code can be changed to look for a tap device in OSX/Linux, but if it did, you would still be stuck with the non-jit version.

(the OSX tap device does work to get appletalk going for SheepShaver/Basilisk in OSX ;-) )

Best,
Cat_7
jebug29
Space Cadet

Post by jebug29 »

Woah. This is slow enough to kill a guy @_@

No offense, it's still pretty cool that you did this :lol:
ElGuillermo
Student Driver

Post by ElGuillermo »

:mrgreen: We didn't "did" this... We're just advanced (?) users.

But : Yes, it's slow. We're talking about emulation here. PowerPC is really different from x86. Running a whole PPC operating system and most of its apps in a emulated system is, indeed, quite amazing, even more if you consider PearPC has been developped by a very little number of enthusiasts.

It's quite a pity, though, that this platform has been abandoned by its manufacturers. We may have some hope of further PearPC development since OSX Lion hasn't any PPC compatibility. A lot of Apple Mac users may use PearPC's emulating code to get back older apps functionality.
PeterAhlstrom
Space Cadet

Post by PeterAhlstrom »

Okay. I tried using wine with the OpenVPN installer to install the tap device. I unchecked all the options except for the tap, then hit install, and it tried to install, but said it was unable to install and gave me error code 2. On the chance that it actually worked anyway, I installed the kext in my 10.2 install, then altered the config file to use the network card, but when pearpc tried to start it was unable to locate any tap32 device in the registry. So this seems like a no-go, unless someone else who knows what they're doing wants to try.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, I tried to install the tap device in Wine as well, but failed like you.
At least it's nice to see PearPC running rather smooth in OSX.

Best,
Cat_7
PeterAhlstrom
Space Cadet

Post by PeterAhlstrom »

My intent was to run Word v.X on 10.2 (it was released when 10.1 was out). Since I couldn't get the networking running, I went with Snow Leopard in VirtualBox instead. It was a bit of a pain to get all set up, but it was possible. (Though clicking with the magic trackpad seems a bit iffy.)

I planned to do most of my word processing in Word v.X (because of interface bloat in Word 2011) but also install Word 2011 for certain documents (file merging/multiple editors works much better in modern Word). Yet when I installed Word 2011 today, I found that it's possible to turn all that interface bloat completely off and set it up to look exactly like Word v.X. My exclusion dictionary (reported broken in Word 2004/2008) and macros are working perfectly too. So ultimately, it looks like I don't need Word v.X and thus don't need PowerPC emulation after all. Huh. Not the result I expected but I'll take it.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

I should test this on my Intel mac. It would be useful for running my old games since I upgraded to 10.7.

(BTW: Apple doesn't want to allow Virtualization of Mac OS X 10.6 on Mac OS X 10.7 that's stupid :/ )
ewood
Space Cadet

Post by ewood »

Hey gents,

I'm wondering if this thing could also be turned into a good PPC virtualiser to run on PowerPC Macs? It's just that SheepShaver is both unstable and incapable of running more modern software than Mac OS 9.0.4, and of course it lacks video acceleration and so on. What's sorely missing, and has been for ages now, is a good PowerPC emulation and virtualisation solution, and no one seems able or willing to make it.

I remember when emulators of all kinds were plentiful and pretty useful, but now that seems to have waned in favor of some x86 virtualisation software, primarily for platforms other than Mac, and little else. It's great to see someone still making an effort in the area of Mac emulation the way you all are, but as I've said, a good PPC emulation/virtualisation solution is still lacking after all this time, and at the rate things are moving, it appears that we'll be lucky to have one in our lifetimes.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You mean you want to run e..g, Mac OS X 10.3 for PPC in a virtual machine on a Leopard PPC version?.

Sadly there are no efforts in that direction that I know of. PearPC only runs "reasonably" well on Linux/Windows machines, as the JIT Compiler doesn't work on OSX Intel.

Best,
Cat_7
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Cat_7 wrote:...It's a X application, to be started from a Terminal window. Go to the folder you downloaded the application in and execute the command:
./ppc "name_of_your_config_file"
X11_Terminal_Window wrote:
bash-3.2$ pwd
/Users/ahunter3/ahunter resources/pearpc_osx_generic
bash-3.2$ ./ppc PearPC.cfg
bash: ./ppc: No such file or directory
bash-3.2$
???

ETA: also tried with regular Terminal; also tried, instead of "./ppc" to execute it, the name of the executable file, which is "ppc_osx_generic", apparently:
Terminal Window wrote:
bash-3.2$ ppc_osx_generic PearPC.cfg
bash: ppc_osx_generic: command not found
bash-3.2$
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

When you are in the folder your download is in and it is called ppc_oosx_generic, you should try this combination:
./ppc_osx_generic PearPC.cfg

Best,
Cat_7
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

That worked sort of

It is now executing the binary and I get the next window, the one in which I confirm which drive to boot from.

It doesn't accept keystrokes though :(

I need to enter a 1 to boot from the virtual hard drive.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You have to click inside the window to give it focus and then type.

Best,
Cat_7
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Yeah, I'm familiar with that... I have to do that when executing PearPC in the Windows environment within Parallels. But in the Mac X11 environment the graphical PPC window is unresponsive to mouse and keyboard. I can Command-Tab and make sure it's the active window (when I do, the mouse arrow completely disappears); there are no other X11 windows open (except for the console window).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I had to do some futzing with the keycodes file and X11 key bindings to get it working myself. Then I went back to my wineskin version of PearPC JIT for Windows, which runs at almost the same speed, and is more stable.
itux
Space Cadet

Post by itux »

Hello all.
I found list of all supported CPU for emulation, but when i set as PPC G5 PearPC did hang :(
http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/pvr.html

Also i try compile 0.5.0 PearPC on OS X 10.9 Host, i change one file to start compiling JIT, but on assembler code my compilation is failed :(

patched file: ./src/cpu/cpu_jitc_x86_64/ppc_mmu.cc

Code: Select all

#ifndef MAP_32BIT
#define MAP_32BIT 0
#endif
full compilation log here:
HERE

Did it right: "Emulation PPC is emulating CPU commands writes on Assembler" ?

p.s.: Also i have PowerMac G4 MDD if would help...
p.s.p.s: 0x000c0209 is max PVR when PearPC did load (G4)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The list of pvrs you found says: only some pvrs are supported! ;-)
PearPC only runs with the G3 and G4 pvrs, but the G3 is more stable.

You are correct: PearPC doesn't compile with JIT enabled on OSX. The assembly is not compatible.

Best,
Cat_7
Mominul
Student Driver

Post by Mominul »

PearPC now can compile with JITC on MacOS X. Confirmed here

Thanks
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, I saw the messages,

But still crashes ;-) with a segfault 11.
We wait.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Has anyone got tun/tap networking functioning on the OSX build yet?