New Mini vMac Development Snapshot: Feb. 12, 2012

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

New Mini vMac Development Snapshot: Feb. 12, 2012

Post by ClockWise »

There is yet another development snapshot!

http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/

"News : (Twitter)

February 12, 2012

In today's Development source snapshot, Mike Fort's alternate version of SCCEMDEV.c (for LocalTalk emulation, with build system option "-lt") is merged with original file, using the preprocessor condition "EmLocalTalk" to enable it or not. This is more maintainable. Much work remains.

Also in this snapshot, the X version now supports a central ROM folder like the Mac and Windows versions have. If "~/.gryphel/mnvm_rom" exists, Mini vMac will look there for the ROM image. If it isn't there, it will look in the current directory as before. (And the -r command line option will override both.)

The X version now also supports saving Activation Codes, like the Mac and Windows versions have. The custom made variation service tried for 3.2.x seemed elegant, and a good fit for funding an open source project, but there does not appear to be demand for it. So for 3.3.x, I'll try going back to the shareware like custom variations service, and try some other tweaks.

The ongoing work on the X version involves drifting further from using the most generic standard c library and Xlib API's. Rather than guess what portability problems this causes, I'd prefer to have real data. So I've been setting up various operating systems in VMware Fusion, and getting Mini vMac to compile in them.

The build system now supports OpenBSD ("-t obsd"), NetBSD ("-t nbsd"), Dragonfly BSD ("-t dbsd"), OpenIndiana ("-t oind"), and, for a challenge, Minix ("-t minx"). These are all for 32 bit x86. I should try the 64 bit versions later. Adding support for other architectures like PowerPC, for the operating systems that support it (like NetBSD), wouldn't be much work, except that I don't know of any way nearly as convenient as VMware for testing them.

This snapshot fixes a bug where the clock is not properly initialized, and is only correct after the first second interrupt.

Also fixed is a more serious bug where in full screen mode, if the emulated screen is too big to fit on the real screen (when autoscroll is available), if the area of the emulated screen that has changed doesn't intersect the visible area of the emulated screen, then an invalid rectangle was used for drawing. I discovered this when trying out Vector Linux 7, which seems to have some extra debugging checks. "