Would you rather buy a $1000 Windows PC or a $1000 Mac PC?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Would you rather buy a $1000 Windows PC or a $1000 MAC PC?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:03 am

$1000 - Windows XP, Celeron 2 Ghz, 128 MB RAM, etc.
57%
$1000 - MAC OS X, PowerPC G4 1.2 Ghz, 128 MB RAM, etc.
43%

Total votes: 7
Dylan
Student Driver

Would you rather buy a $1000 Windows PC or a $1000 Mac PC?

Post by Dylan »

:?: I'm just doing some research for a project.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I would much prefer a 1.2GHz G4 to a 2GHz Celeron system.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Sorry, but a 1000 dollar Mac cannot hold a candle to a 1000 dollar PC as it stands...hell, a 1000 dollar mac can't hold a candle to a 700 dollar PC, sadly. Apple needs to open the market so that there can be some competitive growth and cheap clones...

However, I also wouldn't buy Intel or a Celeron either. AMDMe(tm) please...

Actually screw PC's period...I would buy a 1000 dollar Origin deskside box, because it would rape both those computers and my company makes the CPU for it...gotta love corporate loyalty!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Which would you rather buy?

$1000 Macintosh Computer
$1000 Hand-job
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I'd take the Mac there Clockwise. :D

But I'd rather have a $2500 or so 17" G4 PowerBook with keys that light up running OS 9\X and VPC 6.1 running Windows XP Pro (and Yellow Dog Linux on a third partition).
javier_garza4
Tinkerer

Post by javier_garza4 »

neither. more like a 2ghz pentium 4 512 mbram like the one i have
Dylan
Student Driver

Post by Dylan »

Well I learned today that AMD processors use some sort of VIA motherboard that really fks up music in the studio. :evil: For some reason or other, (probably cheapness of quality) crackles and pops etc. show up after recording. With Intel chipsets though, my music is as clean as, well, as Marc Nadene's crotch? (Though without the unwanted crackles and pops... ok thats a little over the top...) Contrastingly perfect.
And oh yeah.. that $1000 is canadian dollars: $763.94 u.s.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

I've been using a nForce2 motherboard for forever, and have had no such problems. You probably bought a VIA Chipset based motherboard (big mistake for performance computing). If you were to get a decent nForce motherboard, along with a decent sourd card (I love my Audigy, emu10k* cards have always been good quality, I find).
Dylan
Student Driver

Post by Dylan »

Oh the studio guy, Lee, said that AMD only used VIA motherboards. I guess he didn't know what he was talking about... even though he went on for about half an hour on the subject. *yawn* But thanks for the info I'll tell him about it next time.
mw_jon
Student Driver

Post by mw_jon »

While the VIA chipset is nothing spectacular, it's unlikely that the recording issues are related. I record through an AudioPhile 24/96 and have absolutely no audio glitches. I have one of the shittiest VIA based motherboards available. What version of Windows is studio guy Lee running? Win2k is notoriously bad for recording. The problem is probably resolvable; you should hit 'im up.
Dylan
Student Driver

Post by Dylan »

Well hes using Windows XP Professional. He said he did a lot of research on the internet about it and it's not fixable. Maybe it's just that type... We thought it was the sound card but he insisted that it wasn't. Anyways he's going back to his Intel board, so I wont bother. It's his problem. :wink:
Oh and Phirkel... Dr. Strangelove sure is a good movie, eh?
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Dylan: Yessir, it is ... possibly one of Kubrick's best (after maybe A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket).

I'm just gonna voice my support for my earlier opinion that VIA chipsets are crap, and I'm gonna add that "Studio Guy Lee" is a moron, because there are probably more ALi, AMD and nForce-based motherboards out there than there are VIA-based mobos. I suspect, however, that we're gonna look at the KT4V[-L] like we do the Mac LC nowadays -- like Apple keeps makin' them.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

66.227.223.92.kzo.mi.chartermi.net

(Expicit nudity and sexual orientation in Marc Nadiene's post above was deleted by someone, probably Clockwise. A few children visit this forum Marc, you should be arrested.)
Last edited by Mac Emu on Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all.

Post by all. »

vMac goatse's the forum, and that's the best you can come up with? I expected more from you, JW. Far more.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I don't have time to deal with idiots.
Summers
Student Driver

Post by Summers »

I'll buy a Mac - I already have 3 PC's :)
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

ClockWise wrote:Which would you rather buy?

$1000 Macintosh Computer
$1000 Hand-job
For $1000 I'd expect Jennifer Lopez to give the hand job with Beyonce Knowles taking over when her hand got tired!
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

I'll stick with Mac.

I like being able to emulate a PC, and I'm pleased to see so many PC users emulating a Mac.

PCs have come a long long way and deserve respect and I don't want to start a platform-flamewar. What's the right computer for one person isn't necessarily the right computer for someone else.

But I'd still rather pay $3000 for a Mac with the performance equivalent of a PC I could get for $650.

Naturally I'd prefer to pay $650 for the Mac :) and Apple isn't as overpriced as it once was.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

medafor wrote:im into 3d gaming and highend 3d animation, a market apple cant even come close to competing in.
What are you talking about? Apple is one of the major makers of highend graphics hardware and software, and most current 3d games are available for the mac.
medafor wrote:but what good is that if you cant have the latest console games
No personal computer can run console games without an emulator, which most run slower than OSX chess on PearPC (no offense Seppel).
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

I bought a $1200 x86 laptop...an Athlon 64 based one made by HP

Trust me, I kick myself everyday for not buying a new iBook (or Powerbook off eBay)

Windows and Linux have both gotten on my last nerve
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

I would definitly buy the Celeron (or preferly an AMD 8) ) because i like using Linux so much, i would never want to use any other OS than GNOME + Linux.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

trygvebw wrote:I would definitly buy the Celeron (or preferly an AMD 8) ) because i like using Linux so much, i would never want to use any other OS than GNOME + Linux.
You do know that there is Linux for PowerPC....
robotintestines
Tinkerer

Post by robotintestines »

I've been hearing complaints about VIA chipsets and sound problems for a long time, though I have never had a single problem while recording in my humble home studio.

Regarding the topic at hand:

I would buy(build) the $1000 x86 computer.