SheepShaver OSX 07-07-2012 build for testing

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Cat_7
Expert User

SheepShaver OSX 07-07-2012 build for testing

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi All,

Further improvements were made to clipboard exchange between Mac OS and OSX. These are most notable when running in 64 bit mode, so make sure you deselect 32 bit in the info panel on the SheepShaver program.

Test build is available here:
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/She ... 7_2012.zip

The clipboard can now exchange multiple items and do a rudimentary "Pict" format conversion.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver OSX 07-07-2012 build for testing

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Cat_7 forgot to mention a notable new feature of the clipboard integration: International language/font support.

In 64-bit mode it should now be possible to copy and paste non-Western text, e.g., Cyrillic, Japanese, and Chinese, in both directions between the OSX host and the MacOS guest, provided the encodings and fonts for the language are installed in MacOS.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks for the recent build, it works!
Moving a file from JPEGView to Preview, really cool.
The clipboard is working vice versa too of course.

5% loss in performance compared to SheepShaver_UB_20101106 can sure be tolerated.
Users with faster hosts than mine (E5700) wont even notice. ;)

Edit1: My quad core AMD-II (oddball) runs the recent build 15% slower than UB_20101106.
Not much OSX AMD boxes (legacy kernel) around, I would guess.
Edit2: The new build is slightly faster than SheepShaver_UB_20101106 on my TP T60 T2400.
About 5% gain with the notebook. All hosts are 10.6.8.
Last edited by 24bit on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

I am running Lion v. 10.7.4 and I no longer have original OSX disks. What I can do is go to the APP store and download a fresh lion version to install. My plan is to install it on a standalone drive and to run Sheepshaver on that. Will this work or do I need to find CDs?

Thanks!

Richard
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Of course you can run SheepShaver on an installation on a standalone drive. But SheepShaver itself is just an empty shell, you would need a installation medium for the old Mac OS you would like to run. So, you either need a CD with e.g., Mac OS 8.5 or a disk image of such a CD. You should have a so called "universal install" CD. That is a CD that can install on any Mac, not a CD that accompanied a specific Mac model. They can be recognized by the yellow/orange Mac OS version number.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Not sure why you want to run SheepShaver on a second Lion installation on a standalone drive. Of course you can, but why not simply run it on your existing 10.7.5 system?

And, yes, as Cat_7 wrote, you will need a universal MacOS install CD. The universal MacOS 9 CDs have a white label with a large yellow "9", the universal 8.5/8.6 CDs have a green label with a large white "8" on it. You will also need a compatible ROM file. See for more info the setup manual: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

So kind of you to answer so quickly and completely. I found a suitable ROM and I am up and running with the Sheep! As for the separate drive, not knowing much about SS I had wanted to be cautious plus I have all these smaller capacity drives around that I am trying to repurpose :mrgreen:

Here is another question - the whole reason for needing OS 9 was to run an image mining program I wrote may years ago that has unique routines I now find I need again. One of the images I need to mine is 24 mess. What do you recommend I set the memory too in SS or in the app itself. My Lion machine has 7 gigs of memory.

Thanks!!!!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Good to see you're already up and running. SheepShaver can be set to use 1024Mb of memory and that is also the maximum you'll see in Mac OS inside SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

The disk Unix cannot be used because it cannot be found. What is up with that. I get that during some sessions.

Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The Unix disk is the Mac OS equivalent on the desktop of the shared folder on the OSX side.
Sometimes, (at least in my experience) when you are using real CD's or an .iso or .dmg image of a cd and start SheepShaver this error crops up.
I have no idea how to avoid it ;-) (besides not using CD's or disabling the shared folder option)

What rom file are you using?

Best,
Cat_7
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

fair enough. It seems to self correct if I reboot SS. I am not using CDs.

I really appreciate the support! One last Q - how can I maximize the window? I have it set to 1024x768. Would like to be able to see more of my imagery but other settings do not seem to do anything.

Thanks!

Richard
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

forget my last question. I was able to get what I want between SS prefs and OS9 Monitors. I am a happy camper!!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can set the size of the window by manually entering other values in the prefs editor. A suggestion is to stick to well known old screen sizes in the 3:4 ratio.
You can also select "Full screen" as setting, but I would advise against it, as you wouldn't be able to access the prefs editor to change the setting back to "windowed" in case anything goes wrong.

Best,
Cat_7
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

I made that mistake - full screen and had to use the handy script and more or less start over. When you make mistakes like that you typically learn a valuable lesson. In this case lesson was - don't do THAT again!!!

By the way SS seems incredibly stable! More stable than I remember OS9 being. I let a search routine run all night long and it was rock solid and stable this morning.

r
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

podolsky wrote:I made that mistake - full screen and had to use the handy script and more or less start over. When you make mistakes like that you typically learn a valuable lesson. In this case lesson was - don't do THAT again!!!
See the setup manual about how to return to window mode when you have set SheepShaver to full-screen mode. There are many useful hints in the manual.

About the screen sizes: You can enter in preferences most usual screen sizes, also sizes that were not available in OS9 times. I myself use SheepShaver mostly in 1280 x 800 window mode.

About the Unix disk not found message: Can happen when changes are made in preferences without SheepShaver being subsequently quit and launched again. SheepShaver reads the settings when launched.
macman
Space Cadet

Post by macman »

Thanks to all of you for SheepShaver! I still need to run an essential OS9 apps, and you have made it possible! Thanks again!
j-man
Space Cadet

Post by j-man »

Thanks a lot, SS is awesome! It's just a couple of days I'm testing it: Monday night I felt the sudden urge to play with an old game, Strategic Conquest 4.01. After a Google search I found a post where a guy mentioned SS, so I got it and installed it. It works great, with the exception of this weird issue: when I quit Strategic Conquest I can't relaunch it, 'cause either the system crashes (error type 2099) or the app quits unexpectedly (error type 3). That means if I want to restart the game I need to restart the OS too. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work.

EDIT: I read about the desktop rebuilding trick (I completely forgot about it...). I did it and something has changed... Now I see both icons, the file and the app, but the OS still crashes: the error type has changed to 21760, then back to 2099... Weird, huh?

MacBook Pro i7 2.66 8 Gb RAM, OS 10.7.4
Emulation: OS 9.04, New World ROM, 1 Gb HD, 256 RAM
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

These emulators do not fully emulate all of real hardware Macs, so software may behave differently on them. This seems to be especially true for games.

You can try fiddling with settings in SheepShaver or in OS9, maybe try disabling OS9 extensions that are not needed. Otherwise, be glad that you can run the game at all and launch the game only after a fresh startup in SheepShaver.
j-man
Space Cadet

Post by j-man »

I agree with you: after all it works, though restarting every time is a bit boring. I was just wondering if you had an idea about that error type... Somewhere in my old backups I should have an utility called "Apple Error Codes" (if I remember well), I'll check it. But I never seen that code, and I suspect that I won't find it there. Anyway, thanks a lot for your amazing work.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I have a utility called "Apple Error Codes '98. (It has a photo of Steve Jobs in it. When the photo is clicked, you can hear him say "really new" and a crowd cheering him. Is that the same utility?)

ID=03 Illegal Instruction
The computer has a specific vocabulary of machine language instructions it can understand. If a computer tries to execute an instruction that isn't in its vocabulary, you see this error code. It's less likely than error 02, but still very common.

That could be consistent with opcodes not implemented in the emulator.

There is no description of an error 2099 or 21760.
j-man
Space Cadet

Post by j-man »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I have a utility called "Apple Error Codes '98. (It has a photo of Steve Jobs in it. When the photo is clicked, you can hear him say "really new" and a crowd cheering him. Is that the same utility?)
Yes it is.

In the meantime I experienced some issues... SS refused to start, no matter what I tried. In the end I rebooted the computer (the real one, not the emulator) and it did the trick, now everything works again. But the interesting thing is that Strategic Conquest was able to relaunch without crashing, at least a couple of times... before i set the Preferences as suggested in the setup manual. I suspect there's something to adjust in the video settings: I'll try to experiment.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There may be memory issues that are cleared when the host is restarted. Did you make sure that in SheepShaver preferences "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" is enabled?
j-man
Space Cadet

Post by j-man »

Yes, it's enabled. I've enabled "Ignore Illegal Instructions" too... and in the last few days I was able to relaunch the game without problems. I don't know how long will it last, but in the meantime I'll stick with it :wink: