Mac OS 8.6 ROM

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Kilik

Mac OS 8.6 ROM

Post by Kilik »

Is the ROM from the Mac OS 8.6 CD [or the 1.0 Update (1999)] really working with SheepShaver 2.2.8?

If anybody is running Mac OS 8.6 with this ROM, which Linux Distro and which Sheepshaver Version are you using?

I have tried Mandrake 9.2 + Sheepshaver RPM. I don't have Internet under Linux, so i couldn't try the CVS.

Thanks

Kilik
Trancesphere
Space Cadet

Post by Trancesphere »

The rom from the Mac OS 8.6 CD does work.
You have to extract it before you can use it.

Im using the l8est Sheepshaver (The one that was released a few days ago with the improved performance, its on cvs). Its running fine for me on fedora core 1 and mandrake 9.1
Kilik

Post by Kilik »

Thanks! How do i extract the ROM? > I have a 2 Mbyte File called "Mac OS ROM". Isn't that the right size/file?

If i use it in SheepShaver i just get a grey screen and no Smiling Mac or any other icon etc. There's no error message. So the rom seems to be valid but it's not loaded..?

Thanks

Kilik
rogabean

when i used that rom

Post by rogabean »

i use that rom image as well...i noticed the first time i tried booting off it, it did the same thing... i rebooted SheepShaver several times...then i walked away and let it sit trying to boot for like 15 minutes..when i came back it was botting off the rom... slowly..after that i rebooted it again (after if booted from the cd fully) and it now boots up with good speed

Post by Guest »

It's working! Thank you! I just had to wait a while...

Ok, it's running, but i still have one problem! How do i switch to 1024x768 Fullscreen?! It's always loading the system in a window (800x600).

Is the fullscreen-mode working at all?

Thanks again

Kilik
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

I don't think fullscreen mode works at this time. At some point, I started to merge B2 code for runtime depth switching too. However, I put that on hold as I am adding AltiVec emulation. ;-)
robotintestines
Tinkerer

Post by robotintestines »

I also have an 8.6 CD. (It's actually a service source CD).

Mandrake will not read the CD. Do I have to run basilisk, save the ROM to a 'fake' mac drive, then point the SheepShaver GUI to the 'fake' mac drive where the ROM would now be?

Also, I can't seem to 'browse' to the ROM in the SheepShaver GUI. It looks like I have to type in the path myself.

I ran the 'create.sh' scripts to build SheepShaver and Basilisk. I can't seem to find the Basilisk executable binary.

I guess I'll have to run Basilisk from Windows.

Did the create.sh scripts build the latest version of SheepShaver, the one that is capable of booting from the 8.6 ROM?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Gwenole wrote:I don't think fullscreen mode works at this time. At some point, I started to merge B2 code for runtime depth switching too. However, I put that on hold as I am adding AltiVec emulation. ;-)

what is AltiVec emulation?
ShadowFox

Post by ShadowFox »

AltiVec is an instruction set found in G4 processors (essentially the difference between some G3s and G4s of similar clock speed), which results in pretty good speed increases for applications supporting AltiVec.

How can that be implemented in a 604e processor though?
micky

Mac os 8.6 rom

Post by micky »

Now sriously what is the link to the apple mac update rom? Yes i don't own a ppc mac. just a jousy classic mac 68k quadra 650. :(
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

AltiVec instructions are now emulated. This increases reported PVR (Processor Version Register) to match a 7400, aka G4 processor.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Re: Mac os 8.6 rom

Post by Mac Emu »

micky wrote:Now sriously what is the link to the apple mac update rom? Yes i don't own a ppc mac. just a jousy classic mac 68k quadra 650. :(
Here it is.