Need help with running Warcraft Orcs & Humans on Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MacCraft
Space Cadet

Need help with running Warcraft Orcs & Humans on Basilisk II

Post by MacCraft »

Greetings, I'm new here.

Yesterday I read on the Internet that the Macintosh version of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans is better then its DOS counterpart, and both of them come in a hybrid CD. It has higher resolution and CD music.

So, thanks to the tutorial on this very website, I managed to get System 7.5.3 on Basilisk II. My host OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

I popped my Warcraft CD in and made an ISO image, as Basilisk II can't access the CD drive on a 64-bit version of Windows.

I installed it and began to play.

The intro runs fine, the main menu appears, the mission objectives video goes smoothly...And I finally began to play.

But, for my dismay, the units were slower than snails. Even setting the game speed at fastest didn't work. And the background music didn't sound at all.

My Basilisk II settings are these:

The CD-ROM Driver is disabled because it wouldn't work with my OS. I set the RAM at 16 MB because 8 weren't enought for running the game (by a few KBs). And the JIT Compiler is disabled because it caused me trouble when updating my System to 7.5.3 (thanks to this post I solved the problem :razz:).

So, can you help me out? Every helpful post will be highly appreciated.

See you around!
:)
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Need help with running Warcraft Orcs & Humans on Basilis

Post by Jorpho »

Well, now that you've updated your system, why not try enabling the JIT compiler?

I think you also might want to try switching the CPU Type to 68040 with FPU.
MacCraft
Space Cadet

Post by MacCraft »

Hello Jorpho, thank you for your reply.

As you can see in this picture, these are all my available CPUs:

There is no 68040 with FPU.

(Well, I Google'd that and according to Wikipedia, the 68040 has a FPU integrated on it. I tried it and it didn't help me at all.)

Also, switching on the JIT compiler didn't work at all.

Another interesting fact is that the scrolling speed (you know, when you navigate through the map) works fine.

So, the only problems I see is the moving speed of the units, and no music plays during the game. Aside from that, the game works fine.
:)
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

I'm very sure the problem is related to RAM. Most games, even today, run like snails when you don't give it adequate resources. If possible, please increase your RAM from 16MB to something higher like 64MB, or something in the middle if you don't have that much RAM to spare.

Also, change the RAM allocation for the game itself too. Find the application file, select it, go to the File menu (or was it the Edit menu?) and click "Get Info" (maybe I got that wrong too...). Or, you could just select it and hit Option-I. From there, there should be 3 fields at the bottom of the window that pops up that says things like "Mininum memory" and "Recommended memory".

For a game like WarCraft, I'd say give it about at least 16MB (yes, that's the current memory you allocate for the entire emulated Macintosh right now. That's why I said increase the RAM in the GUI).

Good luck in getting it running. Again, I am VERY sure it's related to the RAM. Of course, I might be wrong.