There are insufficient system resources to mount this image

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

JorgeMDQ
Space Cadet

There are insufficient system resources to mount this image

Post by JorgeMDQ »

Hi! I´m running SS on a MacOSX 10.8 and as it cannot read from CDRom I installed Virtual DVD-ROM Utility (VDRU) . It seems to work ok, both creating and mounting, but it´s rather tricky to make work with some images…
After creating a ***.cdr on OSX, adding to Volume list on SS, open Desktop on SS and retrieving VDRU, the error message appears: "There are insufficient system resources to mount this image".
Any help there??

I read a note that said that after deleting from SS Preferences volumes used (***.cdr) and open them on OSX side, it will fix the problem, but nothing of it happens.

I have a 8GB HD for new software, a HD bootable on OS8.6 with 728 GB of RAM, also defaul settings as recommended.

Thank you for any help!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: There are insufficient system resources to mount this im

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

What exactly do you mean with "open Desktop on SS" and with "retrieving VDRU"?

Did you first create an image with VDRU? Where did you save that image? Is the CD you started with a normal HFS Mac CD-ROM? When does the error message appear, when you try to mount the image that you created with VDRU?
JorgeMDQ
Space Cadet

Post by JorgeMDQ »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:What exactly do you mean with "open Desktop on SS" and with "retrieving VDRU"?
"open Desktop on SS"
means open OS8.6 and all is ok, seeing its Desktop…

"retrieving VDRU"
Open Virtual DVD-ROM Utility again.

Did you first create an image with VDRU?
Yes!

Where did you save that image?
On a HD created for that purpose (8GB size)

Is the CD you started with a normal HFS Mac CD-ROM?
I dont know what kind. it was a zipped file and witin normal files compiled with StuffIt InstallerMaker™ 7.0.1

I made this:

First, on OSX I created a ***.cdr, then mounted in list Volume SS. Open VDRU and created a CD/DVD Toast image and save it on the new HD 8GB. Then went to Preferences SS and deleted ***.cdr and shut/open SS. When try to mount Toast w/DVRU that message appears.

When does the error message appear, when you try to mount the image that you created with VDRU?
Yes!

I forget to tell that even ***.cdr were deleted in SS Pref, on OSX side I mount ***.cdr also.

Thank you for your help!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

JorgeMDQ wrote:Is the CD you started with a normal HFS Mac CD-ROM?
I dont know what kind. it was a zipped file and witin normal files compiled with StuffIt InstallerMaker™ 7.0.1
When the zip file was expanded, was the result a (CD) disk image?

If the result is not a disk image, you do not need to use this procedure. Just move the files to the emulated machine using the shared folder/Unix disk, then copy them inside SheepShaver to a different volume, and run the installer.

If the result is a disk image, there is no need to convert it to a .cdr image, and probably also no need to use 'VDRU'. Just add the image file to the volumes list.
JorgeMDQ
Space Cadet

Post by JorgeMDQ »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
JorgeMDQ wrote:Is the CD you started with a normal HFS Mac CD-ROM?
When the zip file was expanded, was the result a (CD) disk image?

No.

If the result is not a disk image, you do not need to use this procedure. Just move the files to the emulated machine using the shared folder/Unix disk, then copy them inside SheepShaver to a different volume, and run the installer.

If the result is a disk image, there is no need to convert it to a .cdr image, and probably also no need to use 'VDRU'. Just add the image file to the volumes list.
Yesterday I Tried this way and near ok :( No message error appears but a new one: "Please insert the *** disk into your CD-Rom drive to continue", and I haven´t it …

Also, I downloaded others examples from the internet, to see how do they work, and find that all were fine, so the problem is with that kind of installation that ask for more resources.

I also tried to create a CD/DVD with VDRU from that folder but the following message appears: "There is not enough space on this volume to complete this operation". May be I need to make a CD/DVD from the installer only …

Thank you very much Ronald!! You are very kind.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

JorgeMDQ wrote:Yesterday I Tried this way and near ok :( No message error appears but a new one: "Please insert the *** disk into your CD-Rom drive to continue", and I haven´t it …
That means that the CD needs to be mounted in SheepShaver as the original CD and you do indeed need 'VDRU' to do that.

You still have not told us what kind of file (or folder?) is the result of unpacking the zip file. If the result is a folder with the files from the CD, there is no way you can recreate the properties of the original CD.
I also tried to create a CD/DVD with VDRU from that folder
Which folder?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
JorgeMDQ
Space Cadet

Post by JorgeMDQ »

Files that I downloaded with OSX was a .zip one. Within there were 3 folders. Each of every one had an installer for an old MacOS and several folders and some images of presentation (they are Tomb Raider trilogy for MasOS9).

So I put them into Shared folder, open SS, and installed ok. I can run the setting file but when you try to open the game (the setting file invit you with a button), there appear a popup window asking for a disk to continue.

I made a disk with VDRU, mounted it and then the message indicated… and the game couldn´t open.

Quote:
I also tried to create a CD/DVD with VDRU from that folder

Which folder?

The folder on SS that first was into the Shared folder then was moved to a HD (8GB), the above indicated.

What a mess!! :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The issue is now clear. Apparently you do not have the original CD, nor do you have a disk image of the original CD (the zip file does not contain such image file). You cannot make the game to run without either the CD or the CD image.

There is no solution unless you can find the original CD or a disk image of that CD.

Where did you download the zip file from?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
JorgeMDQ
Space Cadet

Post by JorgeMDQ »

I don´t remember from were did I got that file. may be a P2P or Aspyr or another site. But I have to found an old box at home where I left all my old MacOS9 CDs, that came with some magazine and try again.

It seems that all the SS simulator is working ok, so thank you for your help. If I found where to download old games or appl, I´ll write again in this post.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

JorgeMDQ wrote:If I found where to download old games or appl, [...]
Have a look at Macintosh Garden site.
JorgeMDQ
Space Cadet

Post by JorgeMDQ »

Thanks again! :)

P.S: Has this forum a site where to upload olds games?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The Emaculation wiki (link top right) hosts a collection of System 6 freeware and shareware games in "System 6 Hell" (see in wiki left side bar the link "Mini vMac Games") and a couple of other games (see link "All Downloads").

You cannot upload software here yourself. If you have an interesting addition to our collection, post a link here or contact one of the moderators.

Note that we do not directly link to or post commercial software. The board policy is to respect license agreements.
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

I think the VDRU can mount images only of discs formatted as "Mac OS Standard," not "Mac OS Extended." I once got the "insufficient system resources" error for that reason. To be clear, the VDRU will be able to make an image, but when it tries to mount the image, you'll get the error.

It looks like Macintosh Garden has a link for Tomb Raider Gold, and has the trilogy listed, but no links for the trilogy. If you can tell us how to find the files (without linking, I guess, due to forum rules), then we can help you get it working. If you've found game CDs you want to play in SS, we can help you get those working too.
JorgeMDQ
Space Cadet

Post by JorgeMDQ »

I´ll try this way. if I successfully complete the idea I´ll write here again… Thank you!
jegs2
Student Driver

Post by jegs2 »

ALARM! ALARM!

If you use OS X Mountain Lion, you CANNOT mount a physical CD image within Sheepshaver.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Why this wake-up call? We know we can't easily mount cd's with SheepShaver in Mountain Lion (it is possible though, with some tinkering).
But you say we cannot mount "a physical CD image". That use of language is not precise. What do you mean? A physical CD or an image of a physical CD?

Best,
Cat_7
jegs2
Student Driver

Post by jegs2 »

Cannot mount a physical CD. It really is in response to those who desired to work with physical CDs within Sheepshaver on a machine running Mountain Lion, using VDRU.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, as Cat_ 7 wrote, it is a known issue. It is documented in our SheepShaver setup guide, together with the workaround with disk images, and it is mentioned in various other places, among which this very topic.

For a CD image to be recognized as a real physical CD, VDRU still works fine. Only in Mountain Lion one must create an intermediate disk image first. See the explanation in the SheepShaver setup guide.

The issue the OP in this topic encountered appeared to be that his intermediate disk image was created from a folder with files and not from an actual CD. Then, of course, VDRU will not work.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat May 11, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason:  
serendipetey
Space Cadet

Post by serendipetey »

I've got OS 9.0.4 up and running with the most recent build of SheepSaver on MacOS X Mojave 10.4.6.

My issues is that when I try to install Performer 2.6 (now Digitial Performer) from my .iso image (created in Toast, locked, and then mounted with VDRU), the installer starts, then after I select Install, I get the following message:
Can not locate the installer CD!
I have the actual physical, and original, Performer CD mounted in OSX, though I realize that's not going to be recognized by OS9 inside the shell.

When I start up SS anew however, OS 9 DOES see that there's a CD in the MacPro drive, but it is "unreadable" and requests initializiation or eject.

Any thoughts on how to get SS to mount, or trick it into seeing the physcial disc so the install can proceed?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Note that you posted in a 7 year old topic. The method of mounting with VDRU is outdated.

Like with any disk image, the way to mount a .toast or .iso image in SheepShaver is to add it to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. Check the CDROM box if you want the image to be mounted as CD-ROM. Save the change and shut down SheepShaver. At next SheepShaver launch, the image will appear on the desktop.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat May 09, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Somebody seems to have been running 2.7 with SheepShaver.
Could that help? https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/digital-performer-27

If you can, please upload your ISO to the page above and edit it accordingly. ;)