3mb ROM???

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ghw9132

3mb ROM???

Post by ghw9132 »

I have a PowerMac 6500 with a l2 g3 upgrade card installed. When i try to create a rom image using the program included with Basilisk II, the file created is only 3mb. Is this due to the g3 expansion card, or does the powermac 6500 only have a 3mb rom?
ghw9132

still 3mb without g3

Post by ghw9132 »

I tried removing the g3 upgrade card and pressing the reset button on the logic board, but still creates a 3mb rom image.
Will this work with SheepShaver, and if so, how do i get it from my mac to linux?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

Use ROM Grabber from MOL:
<http://www.maconlinux.org/download.html>

Then, if it doesn't work tell me, there could be a way.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Isn't a 3Mb ROM a New World softROM from MacOS 9.x??
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

ROM Grabber should output a 4 MB file that can be used with SheepShaver. When I used the BasiliskII ROM dumper I also got a 3 MB image from my 7500/100, ROM grabber created the proper 4 MB image.
ghw9132

Rob Grabber did the trick

Post by ghw9132 »

Rom Grabber successfully created a 4mb rom image.
Thank you for your assistance.
ghw9132

Unsupported ROM type

Post by ghw9132 »

The 4mb ROM image will not work in SheepShaver.
Should I try another ROM extraction proggie, or does the 6500 ROM not work in SS?
THanks
ghw9132

Creates Different File Every Time

Post by ghw9132 »

I now have 6 rom files, all identical in size, yet all have different md5 checksums. I have given up hope of using the ROM from my PowerMac 6500, and have turned to the one from Apple's site.

This seems to work, but it will only go as far as to show the "Welcome to MacOS" splash screen, then in the terminal window states
invalid instruction xxxxxxx at opcode xxxxxxx

I have tried the most recent version of RedHat as well as Mandrake, both with similar results.

I have also tried os 7.6.1-8.5 and have yet been able to boot to the finder.

Any suggestions?
micky
Space Cadet

Post by micky »

try using the mac rom from macos8.5 cd it works fine!
Linux Rulz`
ghw9132

Thanks, 8.5 ROM Works!

Post by ghw9132 »

The ROM from my OS 8.5 cd appears to work fine.
Thanks
Claunia

Extensions, disabled please

Post by Claunia »

When creating a ROM image YOU MUST disable extensions, or you will get a corrupted ROM image.

Of course this only applies to making hardware ROM images, not to the MacOS ROM file ;).