Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.4)

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 9)

Post by emendelson »

I like the SheepShaver Wrapper for the easy way it can be set to this quasi full-screen mode, although I myself never use SheepShaver (or BasiliskII) full-screen. But otherwise I do see little advantages over the regular SheepShaver versions. A simple pre-configured VM could be helpful for some, though.
I hope no one will be convinced to use the SheepShaver Wrapper instead of an alternative that might be better for them. Obviously, this is not the ideal solution for everyone.

I hope you will post a thread with instructions for using your prebuilt VM, which avoids all the AppleScript complications that I built into the SheepShaver Wrapper.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

emendelson wrote:The SheepShaver Wrapper does not - repeat NOT - change any OS X settings for the Menu or Dock.
Yes, you are right. I had forgotten this, but quite some time ago I read a discussion about setting the menu bar and Dock behavior for applications.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote:I hope you will post a thread with instructions for using your prebuilt VM, which avoids all the AppleScript complications that I built into the SheepShaver Wrapper.
Making a quick pre-configured VM is easy. Writing instructions is more work. I will get to it when I have more time.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Changing the name of a file is not something an average user will readily do. Many will not even know how to do that.
You are right. I've revised the AppleScript so that it will display the "Choose Unix Folder" dialog if CapsLock is ON when the SheepShaver wrapper starts up. (The older method, which uses the technique of renaming the application so that it includes "Setup," still works; but it's easier for the user simply to press CapsLock.)
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpmyst
Space Cadet

Post by jpmyst »

jpmyst wrote:
Now that that SheepShavers starts and the OS 9.0 installation begins the installer says that "This disk is unreadable by this Computer . Do you want to initialize the disk?" with a choice of either Initializing or Ejecting with the option to initialize an untitled drive with format Mac OS Standard 803.9 MB. Questions like this make me nervous so could you confirm that the drive in question is SheepShaver512.dsk, the disk listed in your preferences and why the system is trying to initialize a 803mb disk?

I have no idea why that message appears. It definitely should not appear. Do NOT answer Yes. I suggest that you download the latest version and start over. Do not reuse anything that you used before. Also, make sure that the disk image file that you made from the OS 9 installation CD is locked in the Finder. (Use Command-I or Get Info for the image file, then under General, add checkmark next to Locked.) If you have already used the image file without locking it, delete the image file and create another. (This may not be necessary, but it can't hurt.) Also, make sure that you are following the instructions exactly, and that you have not done anything that the instructions did not explicitly tell you to do. No matter how reasonable or obvious it might seem to do something else, do NOT do it. Follow the instructions exactly.

jpmyst wrote:
Also, I noticed that now I don't have access to the applications folder anymore though I am administrator. Is it possible that your package changes access privileges?

It is physically impossible for my AppleScript to have any effect at all on your access to any folder. There is absolutely nothing in the script that affects these things.

I suggest (1) that you restart your computer and see if that fixes anything and (2) that you run a maintenance utility like Yasu (search the web for it) and (3) if you still have problems, it is time to reinstall OS X. Something seems to be seriously wrong with your system, and we are not capable of solving it in a forum about Mac emulation.

Response:

All the anomalies disappeared once I allowed the SheepShaver bundle to complete it's task including allowing the emulator to completely install OS 9.0. There is nothing wrong with the OS X installation on the laptop; the DVD drive is not the original drive installed by the factory; the only two drives listed in the SheepShaver preferences are SheepShaver512.dsk & Mac OS 9.cdr

I was aborting SheepShaver whenever the OS installation made an unexpected request and then when I restarted the SheepShaver bundle again I got the request to initialize an 809 Mb disk drive to which I chose Ejected. However, once I allowed the OS installation to complete I didn't get the request to initialize a disk anymore.

I am using the November 19th version of the SheepShaver bundle but I will try your latest version to see what happens and I will let you know the result.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now edited this system again to make it even easier to use. If you have a disk image of an OS 8.5 through 9.0.4 installation CD, and the image is in the correct, bootable .cdr format (which Disk Utility calls something like "DVD/CD Master" format), then you only need to drag it on to the SheepShaver Wrapper, and SheepShaver will boot from the CD image. The next time you start the SheepShaver Wrapper, the disk image will NOT boot (it will act as if you ejected the CD after installing Mac OS). Of course you can drag the image file to the SheepShaver Wrapper at another time if you want to boot from it again.

I know that most users are capable of using the Preferences dialog, but some have trouble with it, and this makes the whole procedure slightly easier. Again, I really do understand that this provides nothing more than a slight bit of convenience and that no one actually needs it.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote:and the image is in the correct, bootable .cdr format (which Disk Utility calls something like "DVD/CD Master" format)
I have not tried your latest version yet, but the .cdr format is only one of the many image formats that SheepShaver can use. For a system install CD image, the only requirements are that it is a true image of a real system install CD (either made directly from the CD or through multiple generations of subsequent images), that it is made in a read/write format and that it is locked to be read-only before use (otherwise the installer refuses to work). Locking can be done With the 'Locked" option in Finder Info, but it can also be done by changing permissions to make it read-only for the user. Other properties, including the file name extension (.cdr .dsk .img .dmg .iso .toast, etc.), are irrelevant to SheepShaver.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
emendelson wrote:and the image is in the correct, bootable .cdr format (which Disk Utility calls something like "DVD/CD Master" format)
I have not tried your latest version yet, but the .cdr format is only one of the many image formats that SheepShaver can use.
I wondered about that. The only format that I was able to boot was .cdr - but I only tried a few images, so I didn't test adequately. I'll revise it to allow other formats, but with a warning. Also, I'll try to add some lines of code that test whether the image is locked or marked as read-only. (I had not realized that the read-only attribute also worked.)
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thanks to your excellent suggestions, I've now revised the SheepShaver Wrapper so that it will do the following:

1. Check whether the dropped disk image file is either locked or marked read-only; if neither is true, the script will offer to lock the file before proceeding.

2. It will accept any standard disk image file extension (dsk, img, etc.). I know that it is possible to use a file with no extension at all, but anyone who has such a file can use the Preferences to add it, or rename the file. I am more interested in protecting users from trying to boot from a DOC file (for example) than in allowing for all possibilities.

These choices are based on my long experience in answering users' questions at my own site. I've found that if I make it easy for a user to make the wrong choice, sooner or later, some user will do so.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Dropping a disk image file works as you described. But it is certainly not foolproof. It does not prevent using disk images that are not created from system install disks or not created as read/write image (for instance in a read only or compressed image format). And if one wants to use an installed bootable image that one does not want to be locked, one still needs to put it manually in the right location.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. A new "unsupported SheepShaver configurations" subfolder
The moderators have been discussing lately how to handle topics regarding SheepShaver configurations that we do not support. The many questions about using COI (Chubby Bunny) fall into that category. Also your SheepShaver Wrapper application is quite different from the basic SheepShaver that we support. We want to give questions and discussions about alternative configurations a separate place in the forum. In the course of this week we expect to have the subforum ready for use and we will then move recent active topics about alternative configurations, among which this topic, to the new subforum.

2. "Self-contained" is already used for an existing SheepShaver feature
The name of this topic is now "Self-contained SheepShaver". However, this may easily be confused with the "self-contained SheepShaver VMs", a feature that was added to SheepShaver two years ago (and that you use inside this SheepShaver Wrapper application). When searching the SheepShaver forum for "self contained", there are now already more references in the results to this topic than to any other topic mentioning the sheepvm virtual machines. We ask you to please change the name of the topic removing "self-contained", maybe replacing it with something else, and do the same (as far as your privileges allow) with references in the posts and post subjects. The moderators can do the remaining post subjects.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

1. is an excellent idea.

2. I've changed "self-contained" to "standalone" in my first few messages and in the thread title. I'll change it in my later messages when I get a chance.

EDIT: I've now changed "self-contained" to "standalone" in all of my posts, at least I've tried to.
Also, after some experimenting, I think I'll reduce the "Additional Software" in my system to include only Apple's own updates.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.

Post by emendelson »

I've now updated a revised version that does not contain the "Additional Software" folder but does contain a folder with an image file that contains Apple-supplied files useful for 8.6 (Disk Copy and the font folder fix) and for all versions usable under SheepShaver (Carbon Lib and QuickTime 4.1.2).
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I have now updated this system to use Ronald's latest SheepShaver build. I've modified the plist.info file slightly so that it only runs in 32-bit mode, because clipboard integration with OS X only works in 32-bit mode, and I don't think there are any real-world advantages to running in 64-bit mode.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now updated this again so that it's code-signed for use under OS X 10.8, and uses Ronald latest (15 July 2012) build - for which many thanks to Ronald. I've removed the code in the plist file that made it run in 32-bit mode, because the new build works smoothly with the clipboard in 64-bit mode. Again, thanks are due to Ronald for supplying this new build.
barryallard
Space Cadet

Post by barryallard »

PHB Summary: here's a fix to the annoying error dialog "Where is WPMacApp.app'?" on launch

SheepShaver Wrapped (Fixed) - DOWNLOAD
sha1: d7b21016a65a44b6e917ac3a32a9c62d49ddb8b9
Source changes

SheepShaver Wrapper is useful. As most people probably would, I used the first mentioned archive (SheepShaver Wrapper.zip, sha1: edf3bdc7998b03fdf6aab9556ac3fa8e532f11f8) from http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/sheepshaverwrapper.html. Feedback: the download could be more obvious, e.g., DOWNLOAD, because the more steps it takes or harder it is to find, the fewer people are going to bother. If there's a subsequent fix, please update it. Might be easier just to put the whole resulting app bare in github and have it source archives on the fly, and point to that. (Yes putting artifacts in source control is kinda :evil:, but it's oh so much more :twisted: .)

Random errata: the 'drop on me' magic didnt work for the rom, I had to manually put the sheepshaver-suggested new world rom (sha1: a63053efcbf8c569f82ede6ec69a551c10b7e899) here:

Code: Select all

SheepShaver Wrapper.app/Contents/Resources/Files/MacOS.sheepvm/Mac OS ROM
Hope this helps avoid some unnecessary yak roughness
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Hmm... I forgot that I had left in code that I needed on my own system but were irrelevant elsewhere. I'll revise my code and post a new version. Good catch! And of course, it's always good to receive courteous comments.

EDIT: I've now posted a revised version. Same links as those listed in the first message in this thread.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Nice... I leave for a few months, and something happens :) I'll try merging your bundle with my own runnable bundles and see what comes out :)

(still trying to get 9.2.2 and 10.0.4 going on something, but so far, just have a frankenfinder 9.2.2 running on system 9.0.4)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Any chance you could update your wrapper to use this build:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8021
and replace the fixed disk image with a 2gb sparse bundle? End result: smaller wrapper size by default, better integration with Time Machine, and larger potential capacity. Don't go past 2gb, or you'll run into potential HFS issues, depending on OS installed.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:Any chance you could update your wrapper to use this build:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8021
and replace the fixed disk image with a 2gb sparse bundle? End result: smaller wrapper size by default, better integration with Time Machine, and larger potential capacity. Don't go past 2gb, or you'll run into potential HFS issues, depending on OS installed.
I'm on the road and probably won't be able to work on this for a while. I'd be perfectly happy if you made these changes yourself and made the results available. I haven't worked on that system for a while.

I remember having problems with sparsebundles and SheepShaver (and I somehow completely demolished a disk image on a sparsebundle) but I'm afraid I don't remember exactly what the problem was. But it left me reluctant to post anything that used one.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

OK; I'll see what I can whip up. SparseImages tend not to work very well; the build of SS I linked to handles SparseBundles fine, as long as you keep them 2 GB or less.

[edit] Try this one everyone: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6rw4liruj080 ... rapper.zip
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I downloaded it on the road, and it seemed to work very well. When I get back home I'll update the original, giving you full credit for the suggestion.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This works very nicely, but, unfortunately, the current version of SheepShaver doesn't let you select a sparsebundle as a disk from the prefs menu. It treats it as a folder. Of course, an expert user can edit the prefs file hidden six or seven levels down in the package, but it makes it slightly inconvenient for a non-expert user to manage disks.

I hope someone might update SheepShaver so that the prefs can handle sparse bundles - that would make this perfect.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, it should also be pretty simple to add that feature to the wrapper itself; change the modifier keys so that option brings up a preferences window :) After all... prefs don't take effect until reboot anyway.

And since the native filesystem recognizes sparsebundles and applescript can be selective based on file extension....

If you don't do it, I may do it myself (except right now I really don't have the need, as I just use the shared folder and a single sparsebundle image... any other images get mounted on the fly within the emulator using Disk Copy, accessed via the shared folder).

[edit] One other note: the fullscreen modifiers aren't really needed anymore, as true fullscreen works in this build via ctrl-enter. It doesn't change the resolution of course.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote:unfortunately, the current version of SheepShaver doesn't let you select a sparsebundle as a disk from the prefs menu. It treats it as a folder.
Wasn't this solved in the source I used for my latest test build? http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8021