Error message with SheepShaver and OSX 10.9 Mavericks

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

MacUser
Tinkerer

Error message with SheepShaver and OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Post by MacUser »

Hello Forum,

I hope someone knows how to tackle an issue I have with SheepShaver.sheepvm.

SheepShaver.sheepvm is installed on a USB flash drive, when after use I removed the USB disk I didn't pay attention that OSX was still busy with dismounting it from the desktop and I got the warning from OSX that I first have to dismount the disk before removing it.
I checked the USB drive with the disk tool of OSX and according the tool all was well.
I removed and mounted the USB disk again and try to run SheepShaver as usual by clicking on the SheepShaver.sheepvm folder, I then got this error message:

- - The document "SheepShaver.sheepvm" could not be opened. Sheepshaver cannot open files in the "SheepShaver VM" format. - -

Apart from the error message nothing happened and SheepShaver did not start.
I then started SheepShaver app from within the SheepShaver.sheepvm folder, I got the same error message but this time SheepShaver was starting up but without mounting the UNIX folder on the desktop of OS9, as it turns out the prefs inside the SheepShaver.sheepvm folder where not used.
I closed the app, clicked again on the SheepShaver.sheepvm folder, I got the error message, the prefs where loaded and SheepShaver seems to run and function as usual.

I don't know how to get rid of the error message, I tried a lot, I copied the USB disk with all files on another USB flash disk, I expanded a backup ZIP with all files of the USB disk to a new formatted other USB drive, I installed the files on my iMac, rebooted the iMac, but whatever I try I still get the error message before SheepShaver will run.

I have run Mavericks since the release with SheepShaver and until now I never had a problem with SheepShaver.
Perhaps this is a OSX 10.9 bug or perhaps there is something wrong with my setup.

Any thoughts about this ?

Thanks in advance,
Wim
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Error message with SheepShaver and OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Post by adespoton »

It sounds like some of the metadata in the SheepVM bundle itself has been corrupted; possibly it hadn't all been written back to the drive prior to ejecting. Your best bet is probably to build a new SheepVM and move the disk image over to the new one.
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

adespoton wrote:It sounds like some of the metadata in the SheepVM bundle itself has been corrupted; possibly it hadn't all been written back to the drive prior to ejecting. Your best bet is probably to build a new SheepVM and move the disk image over to the new one.
Thanks for your suggestion, it was one of the things that I tried to tackle the issue but the backup I used (from before the wrong removal of the USB drive event) did't work either.
I checked the internal HD of my iMac with the disk tool of OSX and all seems to be fine, no errors found and permissions are ok so I think Mavericks has something to do with it.

Wim
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

UPDATE:

Issue is solved.
I used the diagnostic tool OnyX (version 2.8.1 for Mavericks) and run all default options as set in the Automation section.
After the cleaning and rebuilding of stuff and a computer reboot all is now fine and SheepShaver runs as before without error messages :-)

Wim
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Was "Rebuilding LaunchServices" among the default options? The issue could well have been with a corrupted LaunchServices database.
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Was "Rebuilding LaunchServices" among the default options? The issue could well have been with a corrupted LaunchServices database.
Hello Ronald,

Yes, both LaunchServices and dyld's shared cache where rebuild by OnyX, other files like logs, caches and temp files where deleted. I agree that a corrupted file(s) must have triggered the error message but luckily now the issue is solved :-)

Wim