Shoebill - a Macintosh II + A/UX emulator for OS X

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

neozeed
Apple Corer

Re: Shoebill - a Macintosh II + A/UX emulator for OS X

Post by neozeed »

For those of you who get all excited about partitioning disks, I managed to get my Basilisk II fork running Previous's SCSI framework (well enough for disks, I haven't tried a CD yet), and yes, with the A/UX 3.0.1 tool you can partition and format disks.

I've only done super minimal testing but it looks ok.....

Of course, safety is not guaranteed. :mrgreen:

I'll update binaries and all that jazz soon.
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

It is really surprising to me that Apple didn't hold to this OS. I read it can make calls to the ROM and access the Toolbox and System functions, right? Why would they root for Mac OS? Was A/UX hardware demanding?

By the way, how much dependent it is on the ROM? Would an incomplete-executor-like-ROM-copy be possible with this emulator? Hypotethical, of course. I personally don't mind using any ROMs, I think Apple is far from being concerned about legacy software today.

Sorry, but I am not all that acquainted with A/UX. Yet. =D
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

In other development, may I suggest we have a sticky post in this forum with Shoebill's setup and link to the necessary tools?
I think that even in this early stage it earns a space there. =D
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

sentient06 wrote:It is really surprising to me that Apple didn't hold to this OS.
I think this is the biggest surprise, They were basically sitting on OS X as early as what? `88?

I think there was a lot of NIH syndrome, with copeland along with this massive derailment with IBM that was Pink/Taligent. I mean they were so far off track with licensing A/IX for a server platform, ultimately dumping MAE (Mac Application Environment) was crazy again.

I guess they never thought they could make UNIX into something for everyday users. Then along came NeXT.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Hey, I haven't been following this emulator as closely as I should be. Sorry! If someone wants to create a new post with the setup info, guides and links I will sticky it and add it to the wiki as well.

It would be really wonderful if someone could make this as user-friendly as possible.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

It's been very fluid.... That is for sure!

I need to re-do my disk images now that I can run the A/UX disk tool from MacOS.

I wonder if we have enough bits to run the setup program? or just how tied it is to the floppy... there used to be SCSI floppy disks after all..
pruten
Tinkerer

Post by pruten »

Er, sorry guys - I've been real busy lately. I'll get back into working on Shoebill soon. The new FPU is 1500+ lines, and I haven't even tested a single line of it yet... But if it eventually works as expected, it should be the "most accurate" 68881 emulator (with regard to chip behavior) ever written, as far as I can tell. I can't find another open source emulator that even attempts to emulate FPU exceptions, probably because Motorora's documentation is terrible. Rife with typos and errors, and lacking descriptions for lots of edge cases. It's also a superset of IEEE 754, so it's tricky to get softfloat, a strict IEEE 754 implementation, to implement all the weird extra behaviors in the 68881.

It will also be much slower than the old version, since the new FPU uses integer-based softfloat. The transcendental instructions will be emulated by running whatever the best natively available function is, and then blindly copying the result to the dest FPU register. Since the FPU is the last big piece of shoebill that requires x86, this should allow it to compile on other architectures, like maybe PPC.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

pruten wrote:Er, sorry guys - I've been real busy lately. I'll get back into working on Shoebill soon. The new FPU is 1500+ lines, and I haven't even tested a single line of it yet... But if it eventually works as expected, it should be the "most accurate" 68881 emulator (with regard to chip behavior) ever written, as far as I can tell. I can't find another open source emulator that even attempts to emulate FPU exceptions, probably because Motorora's documentation is terrible. Rife with typos and errors, and lacking descriptions for lots of edge cases. It's also a superset of IEEE 754, so it's tricky to get softfloat, a strict IEEE 754 implementation, to implement all the weird extra behaviors in the 68881.

It will also be much slower than the old version, since the new FPU uses integer-based softfloat. The transcendental instructions will be emulated by running whatever the best natively available function is, and then blindly copying the result to the dest FPU register. Since the FPU is the last big piece of shoebill that requires x86, this should allow it to compile on other architectures, like maybe PPC.
Glad we didn't lose you! I took a look at the new FPU stuff, and wow it's involved... :D

I've been learning more about SCSI and some more networking stuff.. I hope to roll back the networking stuff at least into the newer version.
pruten
Tinkerer

Post by pruten »

Hey guys - I got into the zone last week and churned out 1500~ lines of new fpu code. It boots A/UX, and seems to work better than the old FPU, but I haven't really tested it much yet. It also seems slow, but that's expected. There are only 4 unimplemented instructions now, instead of dozens. For all those nerds who love A/UX and want to build a slightly more functional emulator than before (a population of < 3, I'm sure), it's all merged into the master branch on github.

AFAIK, it's functional enough to post a new binary release - 0.0.5 - I just need to get around to all the icky details of testing, getting ethernet working in a reliable cross-platform way, documenting, and scrounging up windows/linux machines to do the cross-platform builds. Maybe also implementing those last four instructions...
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

awesome dude!

I'll certainly give it a go! :mrgreen:
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Sorry work is driving me quite insane the last while.

Anyways I got a preliminary build on Win32....

some stuff is missing here & there, but nothing major so that is good.

Code: Select all

for %%i in (adb fpu mc68851 mem via floppy core_api cpu dis) do (
	del %%i.post.c
)

for %%i in (adb fpu mc68851 mem via floppy core_api cpu dis) do (
	perl ..\core\macro.pl ..\core\%%i.c %%i.post.c
)

gcc -O1 ..\core\decoder_gen.c -o decoder_gen
decoder_gen inst .
decoder_gen dis .

make
I wound up changing the win32 build file to this... so that it's more "clean" ... but I know I should just make a makefile to do the whole thing. But I'm honestly too impatient.

CC=gcc
CFLAGS= -O3 -flto -mno-ms-bitfields 

GOBJ = adb.post.o fpu.post.o mc68851.post.o mem.post.o via.post.o floppy.post.o core_api.post.o cpu.post.o dis.post.o 
OBJ = sdl.o ..\core\atrap_tab.o ..\core\coff.o ..\core\exception.o ..\core\macii_symbols.o ..\core\redblack.o ..\core\scsi.o ..\core\video.o ..\core\filesystem.o ..\core\alloc_pool.o ..\core\toby_frame_buffer.o ..\core\ethernet.o ..\core\sound.o ..\core\softfloat\softfloat.o
LIBS=-lmingw32 -lopengl32 -lsdl2main -lsdl2

%.o: %.c
	$(CC) -c -o $@ $< $(CFLAGS)

shebill: $(GOBJ) $(OBJ)
	$(CC) $(GOBJ) $(OBJ) -o shoebill $(LIBS) 

clean: 
	rm *.o 
	rm *.exe
And there we go, super simple makefile. From all the SDL stuff though you forgot the softfloat.c so that'll be an issue for others... :oops:

ether.c is very UNIX'y but I guess that is to be expected :razz:

I'll try to get some SLiRP and PCAP action going on.

Also I may be crazy but it "feels" faster. I guess we need some kind of benchmark.... although can the emulator really give any guide to how fast (even IPS?) it's going? I don't know.

And with my BasiliskII fun, I found SLiRP works best when hinged to some kind of timer, I'll try to hook into something 60Hz wise on here.... I hope to get this build onto the internet and past 24 hours....!!!!

-edit
Oh I see the FPU is quite slower.. and chatty. Running worms you can actually see them move now, instead of the blazing thing they did before. And it'll tell you what is going on. I haven't nullified all the sprintf/printf stuff yet. But it sure does look like they are doing the right thing. I'll test out phases of the moon and quake soon'ish today.!

--edit 2

building phoon.... compiles with GCC. stock -lm nothing fancy.

D:\shoebill\master6\test>..\Shoebill-master\sdl-gui\shoebill.exe  rom=macii.rom
disk0=Shoebill-Aux-3.0.0.dmg ram=64
Shoebill v0.0.4 - http://github.com/pruten/shoebill - Peter Rutenbar (c) 2014

Assertion failed: !"fmath: fscale not implemented", file fpu.post.c, line 1712

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Last edited by neozeed on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

For those who care, here is my updated build with the new FPU.

Win32+SLIRP source code
Win32+SLIRP pre-built binary

this incorporates all the "fixes" I've found in SLiRP from my Cockatrice III offshoot thing. Although there is still something amiss, as after an hour of slamming the Ethernet I did get the OS to panic with spurious interrupts. I know one thing I have to look into is to make sure my SLiRP queue isn't overflowing, although there was no crash in the emulator.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Not that it matters but using the default ethernet setup, and very very light usage I got this after 2 days

1:41am  up 2 days,  8:01,  3 users,  load average: 0.00 0.00 0.01
  1:42am  up 2 days,  8:01,  3 users,  load average: 0.00 0.00 0.01
  1:42am  up 2 days,  8:02,  3 users,  load average: 0.00 0.00 0.01
  1:43am  up 2 days,  8:02,  3 users,  load average: 0.00 0.00 0.01
  1:43am  up 2 days,  8:03,  3 users,  load average: 0.00 0.00 0.01
  1:44am  up 2 days,  8:03,  3 users,  load average: 0.00 0.00 0.01
And inside the program

ethernet: sleeping

Now with the "if ((ctx->isr & (isr_prx | isr_ptx)) == 0)
_clear_nubus_interrupt(slotnum);" fix Shoebill actually crashes (sorry I wasn't running it under GDB)

This is the last stuff I had running to check status....

Name  Mtu   Network     Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
ae0   1500  10.0.2      10.0.2.15         903200     0   903112     0     0
lo0   1536  127         127.0.0.1            157     0      157     0     0
  4:27pm  up  1:53,  3 users,  load average: 2.65 2.63 2.56
And on the console before the crash:

ae0 transmitter frozen -- resetting
warning, ae0: init failed
Since eth_recv_free_bufs's is filling up, is there a good way to zap it and reset it to a 'clean' or zero state?

I never was good with macro's in C. :oops:
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Pruten updated the float code some more! as far as I can see, phoon works now!

No crashes, no explosions, and I spent more time undoing all of my hacks. Although it's interesting that the libfdm and regular 68881 libm both agree.

yay!

:mrgreen:
pruten
Tinkerer

Post by pruten »

neozeed wrote:Pruten updated the float code some more! as far as I can see, phoon works now!
That might be a coincidence... most of my new fixes are related to subnormal numbers (numbers whose absolute value is < approx. 2^-16382). Turns out that SoftFloat is rife with major bugs, even though its author's website claims no bugs have been reported since 1998 XD. Subnormal numbers don't work, unnormal numbers probably don't work, and there are a few other bugs. I guess nobody ever noticed, since most old Intel chips never supported subnormals anyways.

The latest commit on github has no more unimplemented FPU instructions, though I haven't tested *any* of them XD. They all derive relatively simply from the common 68881 instruction architecture, and I haven't even tested that the architecture is implemented (or interpreted from the documentation) correctly. I should probably write at least a small test suite to verify that the new FPU works approximately correctly. Historically, any newly implemented instructions (especially 68020 instructions) were guaranteed to be totally broken until tested - but I haven't specifically tested any of these new 68881 instructions, and A/UX seems to boot and behave correctly regardless. I expect there are probably *lots* of really major bugs lurking in the new FPU code.
neozeed wrote:Since eth_recv_free_bufs's is filling up, is there a good way to zap it and reset it to a 'clean' or zero state?
IIRC, eth_recv_free_bufs shouldn't stay permanently full. Whenever a new packet arrives, A/UX's driver should read out all the received packets, and restore eth_recv_free_bufs to the maximum value. If that's not happening, there's probably something wrong with my interrupt behavior. I haven't touched or thought about the ethernet code in months, so I'll have to go back and stress it until it fails, then tweak it until it starts working again. After I'm sick of thinking about subnormals...
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Hey no worries! All that 68881 is lightyears beyond me. I did find a book (finally) on 68000 assembly programming, so I'm going to take a small splash and try to figure some of that out. I thought about it a while ago when I smashed enough of SOZOBON to "compile" for the easy68k thing many moons ago...

I was thinking of trying to raise a flag next time the ethernet card gets stuck, and having the main thread watchdog it, and remove the card, and add it back in. It looks like the 'config' structure in the main C is only used building the cards, not removing them for shutdown (well the SDL main anyways)...

I also noticed that downloading with lynx, about 10MB worth of traffic would throw the ethernet card into the sleep loop. At least it saves me waiting two hours with 4 VT's running worms.

I know forcibly removing the ethernet, and re-inserting it is like the worst thing ever.. but Im curios to see how the OS will respond. But that's me being more of a cargo cult'er than a programmer.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Now that I finally have a bit of time on my hands, I would like to try this emulator out. Is there any quick setup guide to getting this up and running in Windows 7 and/or Ubuntu?
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

ClockWise wrote:Now that I finally have a bit of time on my hands, I would like to try this emulator out. Is there any quick setup guide to getting this up and running in Windows 7 and/or Ubuntu?
There needs to be.... mostly on how to setup new disks and copy the cd-rom onto the new disks.

I just haven't gotten around to it.

I guess I should write something more 3.0.0 focused.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I will look forward to a few setup notes. I can wikify them and promote the link in the usual spots. The emulator could get a lot more exposure... which would only be a good thing.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

I should probably do this in a better manner, but hopefully I can edit this as I go and this won't be too error prone...

First off, I'm going to be using the following ROM:

D:\shoebill\master6\j>md5 macii.rom
2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4 macii.rom
And ISO file:

D:\shoebill\master6\j>md5 Apple_UNIX.iso
76a62bde471b0a14b09f9bf39eb79755 Apple_UNIX.iso
This corresponds to A/UX 3.0.0

* A note on using Shoebill. The mouse will be captured when the window is selected. To release the mouse, click the right mouse button.

First you may want to verify that Shoebill and the ISO work by booting off of it (I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you use a copy of the ISO as it'll be mounted read/write and there is always the chance that it can become corrupted)

shoebill.exe rom=macii.rom ram=64 disk0=Apple_UNIX.iso

If everything goes well you'll be greeted by a login window. Login as root, with no password.

You may get an error about your appletalk configuration, but after that you should now be at the desktop. Under the top right icon (program switcher?) you can jump to a command prompt. You can verify you are running A/UX by doing a 'uname -a'. Also you can check the MacOS version and it should report System Software 7.0.1

So the first thing you will probably want to do is create a new disk for an "installation". A/UX can mount both HFS and UFS disks, but only the 'System 7' side of things can read both sides. Depending on what you want to do with A/UX will depend on how big you want the slices. Because virtual disks are cheap, and you can have 6 SCSI disks, I highly recommend going with additional disks for whatever task at hand you want. Because this is old software with some signed 32bit integer issues I try to keep everything under 1GB (Shoebill on Win32 has issues with disks bigger than 1GB). I like to use qemu-img for this task.

qemu-img.exe create -f raw root.dsk 1000M
Formatting 'root.dsk', fmt=raw size=1048576000
I don't know how to initialize a disk from the command line, and currently Apple HD SC Setup crashes Shoebill, but my build of Basilisk II (Cockatrice III) will run it (as long as your disk image is under 1024MB) And you can run HD SC Setup to partition your disk image.

I went ahead and used a 868MB root with the remainder for swap. Also take note that you still have to format the partition.

Now booting back into Shoebill. This time we need to change the session type to console, in order for us to be able to properly copy the CD-ROM onto our target disk. Change the session type like tihs:

And once we are in 'text' mode we can start by formatting the harddisk.

newfs /dev/rdsk/c1d0s0 other

And some numbers will go flying by.

Once this is done, we are going to use the Apple sanctioned method of doing a dump/restore to copy the disk. First we need to mount the drive that we just formatted:

mount /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 /mnt
Now we run the following:

dump.bsd 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 | (cd /mnt; restore xf -)

As you can see there are a few things we need to take care of. We need to create some named pipes (as dump/restore cannot recreate those) So we can issue:

mknod /mnt/usr/lib/cron/FIFO p
mknod /mnt/usr/spool/lpd/AppleTalk/pipe p
chmod 600 /mnt/usr/lib/cron/FIFO
chmod 660 /mnt/usr/spool/lpd/AppleTalk/pipe
And that has everything recreated. Finally let's dismount and check the disk for errors. This should be clean, but it's always good to verify.

umount /mnt
fsck -y /dev/rdsk/c1d0s0

All being well you won't see anything about errors so we can go ahead and shutdown the VM

shutdown -h now

* A quick note, always try to shut down the guest, quitting the VM, while it is not at this blank 'You may now switch off your Macintosh safely." screen may result in file corruption/loss and even a non-booting disk image!

Now we can boot from our newly created disk.

shoebill.exe rom=macii.rom disk0=root.dsk ram=64
And if everything went well, you should be presented with the login screen!

Additional Tasks

fsck
Now that we are booting up, this is a great time to make a small alteration to /etc/sysinitrc so when it runs fsck you aren't prompted every time.

Networking
I'm going to assume you are running one of my SLiRP enabled builds as it is much easier to get connected compared to tun/tap. first open a console window and type in 'newconfig'

regardless of your LAN configuration, the following addresses must be used for SLiRP:

Internet address: 10.0.2.15
netmask: 255.255.255.0

for DNS to work, you'll need to create the file /etc/resolv.conf it should contain:

nameserver 10.0.2.3
at the bottom of the /etc/sysinitrc file you'll want to add the default gateway

route add default 10.0.2.2 1
And now you can reboot the system once these files are created/updated.

After a reboot, you can ping the address 10.0.2.2, and you should get a reply.

* NOTE that this is the ONLY address that you can ping from SLiRP!

You can also telnet to bbs.superglobalmegacorp.com (or vert.synchro.net) and the DNS should resolve, and you should get prompted to login to a BBS. This is only meant to demonstrate that the TCP/IP connection is working.

With this completed, you can now telnet into your A/UX VM on TCP/IP port 42323

redirected ports are:

tcp 42323 to 23 (telnet)
tcp 42324 to 24 (mud?)
tcp 42370 to 70 (gopher)
tcp 42372 to 7000 (NUTS)
tcp 42380 to 80 (http)
udp 42326 to 26000 (quake)

usr/local disk
You can download my 'usr/local' disk from here. I start the VM like this to add in the 2nd disk:

shoebill.exe rom=macii.rom ram=64 disk0=root.dsk disk1=usr-local.dmg
Take note that the SCSI ID does matter! In this case disk1 means SCSI ID of 1. If you are going to use a different number the /dev/dsk/cXd0s0 will have to reflect that different number.

To get the disk to automatically mount, I alter the file /etc/fstab to add in the following line:

/dev/dsk/c1d0s0         /usr/local      4.2     rw              1 2
To give me a /etc/fstab like this:

/dev/dsk/c0d0s0         /               ignore  rw              1 1
/dev/dsk/c1d0s0         /usr/local      4.2     rw              1 2
rhost_1:/filesystem     /mnt            ignore  rw              0 0
Now if the file is modified correctly you can mount the partition and verify it's mounted.

# mount /usr/local
fluffy.root # df
/          /dev/dsk/c0d0s0       1512712 blocks  407941 i-nodes
/usr/local /dev/dsk/c1d0s0        872890 blocks  231671 i-nodes
To get the most out of it, you'll want to add two users to /etc/passwd

games:*:1001:2:NetHack acct,dungeon,,:/users/games:/bin/false
http:*:1002:1:HTTPD Daemon,,,:/users/http:/bin/false
This is for NetHack, and HTTPD.

Running this will link NetHack into your games directory.

ln -s /usr/local/games/nethack /usr/games
And optionally adding these to the end of /etc/sysinitrc will enable the httpd web server, and a gopher server (you don't have to)

/usr/local/etc/gopherd -c -C
/usr/local/etc/httpd/httpd -d /usr/local/etc/httpd
Naturally you'll want to add /usr/local/bin into your path. According to here, the best way is to modify /etc/profile.
Last edited by neozeed on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
pruten
Tinkerer

Post by pruten »

Thanks Neozeed! I wish I could chime in, but I have very little experience with the SDL GUI beyond compiling it on windows and briefly testing that it sorta-worked. For the future, I'm planning to rejigger the cli arguments to better support customizing ethernet and other things. Multiple monitors, maybe.

Still working on things... I'm trying to figure out why Adobe Illustrator can't properly fill in polygons. I've caught it in the debugger in the act of failing to fill in a circle properly, but the bug is still evading me. I thought it was an FPU bug originally, but the new FPU has the same problem

neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

ClockWise wrote:I will look forward to a few setup notes. I can wikify them and promote the link in the usual spots. The emulator could get a lot more exposure... which would only be a good thing.
Ok, here is my 1st pass!

I've updated my latest build package (shoebill+slirp+win32-21112014.7z) to have the right DLL's and a blank disk as well...

The file 1GB.dsk is all partitioned, and formatted ready to go, saving people the fun of booting into MacOS, and partitioning from there.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

pruten wrote:Thanks Neozeed! I wish I could chime in, but I have very little experience with the SDL GUI beyond compiling it on windows and briefly testing that it sorta-worked. For the future, I'm planning to rejigger the cli arguments to better support customizing ethernet and other things. Multiple monitors, maybe.
Awesome! Id' love to get my SLiRP stuff in there by default? SLiRP is FreeBSD's TCP/IP stack so it is BSD licensed. My trivial modifications (as always the trick is to know where) along with the integration glue can be licensed to whatever, I'm more interested in seeing it work than licensing hell. Otherwise this guide thing should be pretty agnostic.
pruten wrote: Still working on things... I'm trying to figure out why Adobe Illustrator can't properly fill in polygons. I've caught it in the debugger in the act of failing to fill in a circle properly, but the bug is still evading me. I thought it was an FPU bug originally, but the new FPU has the same problem

Very strange. I imagine there has to be some kind of 68000 test program out there to stress test emulators since it's always seen one of the more involved CPU's to emulate. Assuming this is even a fault with Shoebill, and not something to do with running under A/UX?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That looks great. Thank you for writing it! As soon as I have some free time again, I will test the instructions. Feel free to post that as a new topic, meanwhile. Just something with "Shoebill setup guide for Windows" or whatever as the topic. No need for it to be buried in this mega-thread.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

ClockWise wrote:That looks great. Thank you for writing it! As soon as I have some free time again, I will test the instructions. Feel free to post that as a new topic, meanwhile. Just something with "Shoebill setup guide for Windows" or whatever as the topic. No need for it to be buried in this mega-thread.
Ok! ... although these instructions should work anywhere... except the tun/tap fun part, which I avoided because I hate tun/tap... :mrgreen: