Internet Access (Mac client)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

calion
Student Driver

Internet Access (Mac client)

Post by calion »

I assume this has been asked and answered multiple times, but a Forum search didn't turn up anything useful.

I can't seem to get IE or Navigator to connect to the Internet; they are unable to connect to any host. I'm using SS 2.4, have slirp set as the Ethernet interface, and the TCP/IP cdev set to Ethernet and DHCP.

Any thoughts? It looks to me as if the DHCP isn't actually connecting to anything; the router address, for instance, is shown as 10.0.2.2, which just looks internally generated.

OS X 10.10.1
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Internet Access (Mac client)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The router address is correct for slirp networking. Consider it a built-in router that connects to the network the host machine is on.

The addresses DHCP should get are:

IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name server address: 10.0.2.3

You can also set those manually.

If you still have no connection with the correct addresses, there could be an issue with slirp and Yosemite.
Does it work for others in Yosemite?
calion
Student Driver

Post by calion »

Those addresses are what automatically populate, yes. Hmph. I wish I knew more about how SS handled networking, so I could try to troubleshoot.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In a different topic about issues with SheepShaver in Yosemite is noted that internet access works fine there with slirp networking. So the issue is apparently not related to Yosemite as such.
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 151#p49151

Could there be anything else that is interfering? Firewall settings?
calion
Student Driver

Post by calion »

It's not Yosemite, for certain; I tried with a copy of the same image in Snow Leopard, and no love there either. I guess I'm going to have to reinstall OS 9 and start over.
calion
Student Driver

Post by calion »

I have now reinstalled 9.0.4Z onto a fresh disk image…and I'm still having the exact same issues. Help please?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

(Since my last post in this topic I have upgraded to Yosemite myself.)

With all my SheepShaver setups, with different MacOS versions and different language versions, slirp networking simply works and has always worked, also on previous host machines, with different OSX versions since 10.4, and on different networks, wired and wireless.

So what could possibly be the issue in your setup? Anything unusual (non-standard) about your network setup in the OSX host or on router/modem?

The old Internet Explorer and Netscape that come with a 9.0.4 installation are, of course, unable to render the content of most, if not all, current web pages, but they do connect.
(For actually browsing the web in OS9 one can use Classilla: http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason:  
calion
Student Driver

Post by calion »

Hmm. Connecting to my router (using my router's actual local address, not 10.0.2.2) works fine, as does connecting to IP addresses directly. So this is a DNS issue. Putting DNS addresses into the "Search domains:" field does not fix the problem.
calion
Student Driver

Post by calion »

And Apple comes to the rescue with a Support page. I used to know all this stuff, once upon a time.

I'm a bit surprised that this isn't a common problem. Well, in case the above link ever breaks, here's the solution: In the TCP/IP control panel, choose Edit>User Mode…>Advanced. Then fill the Name Server Addr.: field with address of DNS servers. Google provides a couple, at 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Apparently, somehow slirp does not get the DNS info from your router. Normally that works without the need to enter external name server addresses. In fact, in all the years we discussed these emulators with slirp networking, this is the first time I hear of this specific issue. You do have DNS addresses entered in your router's settings?
Frenettd
Space Cadet

Post by Frenettd »

Hi,

SheepShaver runs fine but I cannot reach internet either on SheepShaver (jan 2014). I see the right addresses on the TCP IP control panel but no connection. So, I have started inquiring about slirp. It is a difficult to track binary. I cannot find it on my Yosemite installation using root privileges and the locate db. I reach empty slirp folders though at:
"/opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.opendarwin.org_dpupdate_dports/comms/slirp".

Is slirp hidden inside the SheepShaver binary? My question is how can I make sure that slirp functions well? I own two macs, an iMac 2008 and a MacBook Pro 2012. SheepShaver is installed on both. It worked perfectly, including the networking connection, on Mavericks. Yosemite seems to have changed something, maybe slirp. Installation packages for slirp are scarce and confusing. The best I have found was on "slirp.sourceforge.net" but it would not install because of missing ressources during "make".

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Slirp is included in the SheepShaver program. It provides a DHCP server to your Mac OS running in SheepShaver. So you set the TCP/IP control panel to Using DHCP server. It then automatically receives its network settings from the DHCP server. This normally works fine.

If not, you can enter your network settings manually.
Open the TCP/IP control panel and at Configure, you choose "Manually". Then set:
ip address 10.0.2.15
netmask 255.255.255.0
router adress 10.0.0.2
name server addr: 10.0.2.3

If this doesn't work, try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for name servers.
(these are google's open dns servers)

Best,
Cat_7
Frenettd
Space Cadet

Post by Frenettd »

Hi,

Your suggestion with Google DNS worked for me.

Thanks for the quick help and info.