Where to start

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

stereoscopic
Space Cadet

Where to start

Post by stereoscopic »

I am interested in emulating early osx versions. How do I start? I have a mac with yosemite. What emulator do i download? Will a grey Jaguar disk work?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Where to start

Post by Cat_7 »

hi, this is a difficult question to answer. There are two emulators capable of running OSX: Pearpc and qemu. Both run very slow, and both have limited features. Anything below 10.2 is not supported.

We have some rudimentary guides for both, please check the fora.

Best,
Cat_7
stereoscopic
Space Cadet

Post by stereoscopic »

I tried qemu. The installer worked but when i tried to boot it i got a kernel panic. Should i try pear pc?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

stereoscopic wrote:Will a grey Jaguar disk work?
Disks with grey label are usually machine model specific. Not sure if those will work with these emualtors.
stereoscopic
Space Cadet

Post by stereoscopic »

the disk came with an ibook g3.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

Machine-specific install disks usually don't work well with emulators, find a retail install disk somewhere. (Can't link here)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just as a note, I've got 10.1 working under PearPC -- but it's really slow (almost unusable) and has a number of bugs. I also seem to recall having to jump through a lot of hoops to get it installed. Anything prior to 10.1 definitely won't work in PearPC, and doesn't yet work in qemu (although support for 9.1 - 10.0.x /may/ *eventually* happen).

That said, unless you're demoing the UI changes (which is why I do it), 10.4 will likely run all the same software you'd want to run under 10.2 or 10.3. As an added benefit, you can also run most of this software under 10.5 (Intel) 10.6 (Intel) via Rosetta. The benefit of using 10.4 was that you could use hardware 68k emulation to run pre-PPC software -- but none of the emulators support this.
stereoscopic
Space Cadet

Post by stereoscopic »

Ok I got another disk. This time it just hung at the boot screen. The disk looked sanded and had a text file on it that said it was burned with Alcohol 120%. What does this mean?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Alcohol 120% is a Windows disk imager that can image hybrid and HFS CDs.

Out of curiosity, what does your config file look like? I'm wondering if you're selecting the iso in the correct manner. Have you got a more recent OS to boot in this manner?

What I've generally done for the older images is created a disk image file and "restored" all of the CD images to separate partitions on it, with the first partition being the boot CD. Then I lock them. Then I boot from the created disk image; this tends to work most of the time.
stereoscopic
Space Cadet

Post by stereoscopic »

I am using qemu. What about cherry os?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Wow,

That is bringing back memories. CherryOS is useless. It is just a shell around an old version of PearPC.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

stereoscopic wrote:I am using qemu. What about cherry os?
If you're using qemu, you'd better be using 10.4, or be ready to do a lot of testing and debugging yourself -- it's possible, but there are only a handful of people even looking at using it on OS X < 10.4, let alone developers who can tweak to ensure it works in all cases.
stereoscopic
Space Cadet

Post by stereoscopic »

where do I find pear pc for Mac os x host?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pearpc

However, I've always had better luck running the Windows version inside WineSkin to the OS X version. You'll also need a copy of the 6GB drive image to install onto. I can't recall which version ran properly for me with 10.2/10.1, but I do recall that it may not have been 0.5.0 or the redscorp release.
stereoscopic
Space Cadet

Post by stereoscopic »

Think i am going to try to install jaguar in executor tonight. i think executor will work better.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm?
Executor is an older and not maintained product that emulates the System 7 toolbox calls (originally under Windows). It isn't a computer emulator; it's an OS simulator. You can't run an OS under it, as it pretends to be an OS itself.

If you're considering Executor to run specific software, your alternative emulators are Mini vMac or Basilisk II running System 7.

Think of Executor relating to System 7 as WINE relates to Windows XP (sort of). PearPC running under WINE will let you run PearPC for Windows under OS X, including all the optimized JIT code -- using the PearPC build for OS X loses a lot of the code optimizations.

PearPC only runs on x86-compatible systems, so there's no way it would run under Executor, even if you were able to get it to compile as a System 7 application (using MPW or CodeWarrior).
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Looking back from Yosemite, do Tiger and Leopard look old enough maybe?
Both do run nice in a (x86) virtual machine and are quite easy to set up.
There is no Classic emulation with the X86 build for Tiger, but PPC apps do work up to 10.6 (with Rosetta).
Maybe a practicable starting point?