SheepShaver issues with OSX Yosemite Beta

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

MacUser
Tinkerer

SheepShaver issues with OSX Yosemite Beta

Post by MacUser »

I have a couple of issues with OSX Yosemite Beta.

When I try to launch SheepShaver.sheepvm with SheepShaver 2.4 (2014-02-01) inside the bundle the app refuses to start up.
I can however launch an older version, SheepShaver 2.3 (2009-10-25) outside the bundle and then all works fine (SheepShaver then uses the hidden pref file inside my Home folder)

When I replace version 2.4 inside the SheepShaver.sheepvm bundle with version 2.3 the app refuses to start up, just like version 2.4.

So t seems there is an issue with SheepShaver 2.4 and Yosemite Beta and another issue with any of SheepShaver versions when the app is placed inside a bundle.

Any thoughts ?

Wim
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver issues with OSX Yosemite Beta

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The issue is probably not between version 2.3 or 2.4*, but with the sheep.vm virtual machine not being recognized as a SheepShaver "file". Does it show the SheepShaver icon?

Do you keep SheepShaver inside the virtual machine? That is not needed. Take SheepShaver out of the VM bundle and place it in an appropriate place, like the Applications folder. Then try "Open with" in the Finder's contextual menu to open the VM with the SheepShaver copy you want to use. If that works, you can choose in Finder Info on the bundle to open always with that SheepShaver copy when double clicked.

You really only need one copy of SheepShaver on your machine. Starting the application directly will use the hidden prefs file in your Home folder, 'opening' the VM will make SheepShaver use the prefs file inside the VM.

* We use builds (date) to identify different SheepShaver builds. Version numbers have little meaning because very different builds can have the same version number.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Just updated my VMWare installation of Yosemite to DP 5.
The SheepShaver 2.4 (01-02-2014) build runs fine when "Open in 32-bit mode" is ticked, but doesn't start inside the bundle when 64-bit mode is requested.

Best,
Cat_7
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald and Cat_7,

Thanks for your support.

I solved the issues by rebuild LaunchServices.
After this SheepShaver.sheepvm runs fine with latest build 2.4 (01-02-2014) in 32 bit mode :-)

Best,
Wim
jdehaller@bluewin.ch
Space Cadet

Post by jdehaller@bluewin.ch »

Hi!
I have now installed Yosemite, and Sheepshaver doesn't launch – bumps once and that's it.
I have a Sheepshaver folder im my application folder, and the application is inside this folder.
I don't really understand your explanations about a bundle and a sheep-VM, I must confess...
Can you help? Thanks a lot!
Jacques
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

As I also read in a report on MacInTouch that SheepShaver will run in Yosemite in 32-bit mode but not in 64-bit mode. Luckily SheepShaver defaults to 32-bit when installed the first time.

@ jdehaller
Did SheepShaver run before you upgraded to Yosemite? If so, make sure it will run in 32-bit mode. You can do that in Finder Info for the application: Select SheepShaver icon, hit command-I and in the Info panel check the related box.

If you did not use SheepShaver before and installed it just now, you are probably experiencing a different issue.

(Working with sheepvm VM's is again a different subject, not related to your setup. The VM apparently tried to launch the 64-bit part of SheepShaver executable.)
jdehaller@bluewin.ch
Space Cadet

Post by jdehaller@bluewin.ch »

Thanks a lot, Ronald ! I really appreciate an answer that comes so quickly :lol:
I opened the Infos, 32-bit mode was already clicked ?! ... so I tried to launch Sheepshaver again ... and it works !!
I'm glad – I have all my bookkeeping in an application that goes back to the 90s, I'd have hated to have to change !
Thanks again !
Grizzoola
Space Cadet

Post by Grizzoola »

I have latest version of Yosemite. I've downloaded SS, but same things have been happening. I've checked the info on the SS app. file & 32-bit mode is checked. But, SS still doesn't open. I'm on a Macbook Pro. Any advice?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Have you followed every single step in the setup guide?
Grizzoola
Space Cadet

Post by Grizzoola »

What I want to do is use SheepShaver on a G5 running Leopard. But, the G5 isn't hooked to the internet. I thought, download SS w/ my Macbook Pro running Yosemite, burn a CD of the folder and load that into the G5. It may be more feasible to hook up the G5 w/ Ethernet cable to my cable modem, access the Internet there & download SS directly into the G5. Maybe with Leopard more w/in the range of SS capability, I can successfully open it. I do think Yosemite is the problem, since SS doesn't say it's effective beyond Mavericks.

Also, I read the ReadMeFirst file. I've read the setup manual & these are too technical for me and seem to discuss more re: configuring SS once opened, which now I can't do. Hope this answers your question. Would appreciate your advice on what I've said. Thanks for your attention.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Sheepshaver runs perfectly in Yosemite.

I'm afraid there's no alternative to following the installation guide, no matter how technical it may seem. If any specific step seems hard to follow, please post a question about that specific step.

About your plan to get Sheepshaver on to a G5, I'd better leave that to people here who know more about running Sheepshaver on non-Intel hardware.
Grizzoola
Space Cadet

Post by Grizzoola »

First thing I run into is this: "You need a Mac OS install CD." I don't know what this means. I don't have such a CD; I updated my OSs online. What Mac install CD are they talking about?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

As per the guide:

"You will need a compatible Mac OS install CD to be able to install a Mac OS in the SheepShaver emulated machine. Depending on the used ROM file (see below for more info on ROM files), SheepShaver can run System 7.5.3 through Mac OS 9.0.4. SheepShaver cannot run 9.1 or later."

Those are ancient versions of Mac OS. You can buy a CD somewhere, but most people likely just find a download somewhere. We don't link to such downloads, though.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Grizzoola wrote:Also, I read the ReadMeFirst file. I've read the setup manual & these are too technical for me and seem to discuss more re: configuring SS once opened, which now I can't do.
The setup manual tells you that SheepShaver will not run at all without a compatible ROM file:
"SheepShaver will not run without a compatible ROM file. If SheepShaver does not find a compatible ROM file, it will immediately quit on launch."

You will need to obtain the additional ROM file, as well as a MacOS install CD yourself.

A MacOS install CD, or a disk image of such a CD, needs to be one for a Mac OS (operating system) that can run on SheepShaver, any MacOS from System 7.5.3 through MacOS 9.0.4. You can find (illegal) downloads of install CD disk images on the internet. You will find a 9.0.4 install disk image when you search for: "mac os" 9.0.4 download

And read the setup manual closely from the start. It tells you how to obtain a ROM file.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason:  
Grizzoola
Space Cadet

Post by Grizzoola »

Hi All. This project is more complex than I thought; I'm going to have to abandon my plans. I just wanted to check the contents of a SCSI HD I have, using my G5 w/ Leopard, but Leopard won't accept the HD's driver software for obvious reasons. I don't want to spend further time on this. Thanks All, for your attention.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

SheepShaver wouldn't have helped with your problem anyway, as the issue is reading an old SCSI drive on new hardware. Every OS up to 10.6 can read all the old HD formats used under Mac OS; after that, you start getting into read-only and "not supported" land on MFS and old HFS variants, as well as SCSI support.

If your drive is old enough, the work being done with ShoeBill to support SCSI might be useful; you're going to want to run System 7.1 or so for that, however.

You'd be better off booting the G5 into Mac OS 9 and imaging the SCSI drive there. If that doesn't work (due to the fact that G5s don't actually have SCSI ports and whatever adapter you're using may not have the right drivers), you're going to have to do something even more complicated.
macnosy
Space Cadet

Post by macnosy »

Ronald,

I am trying to move SS V2.4 which is running on my 2010 MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 over to my sons 2009 27" iMac running 10.10.1
I copied all my files over and set the prefs, but SheepShaver blows up with the following messages in the Console Log:
12/20/14 8:38:58.851 PM SheepShaver[1362]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
12/20/14 8:38:58.851 PM SheepShaver[1362]: set_foreground_operation_state(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
12/20/14 8:38:58.937 PM SheepShaver[1362]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.1 instead of 10.10.1. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.
Call location:
12/20/14 8:38:58.938 PM SheepShaver[1362]: 0 CarbonCore 0x9901c7e7 ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 135
12/20/14 8:38:58.938 PM SheepShaver[1362]: 1 libdispatch.dylib 0x93884130 _dispatch_client_callout + 50
12/20/14 8:38:58.938 PM SheepShaver[1362]: 2 libdispatch.dylib 0x938840b5 dispatch_once_f + 251
12/20/14 8:38:58.938 PM SheepShaver[1362]: 3 libdispatch.dylib 0x938850d8 dispatch_once + 31
12/20/14 8:38:58.938 PM SheepShaver[1362]: 4 CarbonCore 0x98faefb8 _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 1050
12/20/14 8:38:58.938 PM SheepShaver[1362]: 5 CarbonCore 0x98faeb69 Gestalt + 150
12/20/14 8:38:58.938 PM SheepShaver[1362]: 6 SDL 0x000299ed SDL_SoftStretch + 14394

HELP
Steve@jasik.com (author of MscNosy & the Debugger)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I see these same messages in the system log, but SheepShaver nevertheless runs.
Did you set SheepShaver to run as 32 bit app? I won't run in 64 bit in Yosemite, due to some address space restrictions implemented.

EDIT: I see, you wouldn't have gotten the log if SheepShaver was not set for 32 bit.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

As Cat_7 wrote, the messages are "normal", they do not indicate a problem that would prevent SheepShaver to run.

Exactly what does happen when you say that SheepShaver "blows up"? Apparently it runs, does not quit at launch, as you mention setting preferences. Does it crash during startup? At what stage?

Make sure settings are as specified in our setup guide, specifically make sure "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" is enabled.
macnosy
Space Cadet

Post by macnosy »

Blows up - The boot sequence quit very early during boot.
Enabling "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" fixed the problem and SheepShaver works like a charm.

As the author of "The Debugger" ( see www.jasik.com )
this leads to another question:
how does one debug bugs in the 68K/PPC code, ... ???

I would love to get Comm Tool Box working as I have a CNC Machine that uses RS-232 to send files to.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

FWIW: In the source, a debugger called "mon" is included. It was used to debug basilisk/sheepshaver.
It is activated with "with-mon" during configure.
Source is at github: https://github.com/cebix/macemu

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As for using MacsBug, I believe there's one build of BII that will do it with a specific System 7 version, but otherwise it doesn't work. "mon" is a much better method (and hey, you could even include support for it in jdb!)
macnosy
Space Cadet

Post by macnosy »

I downloaded the latest source from github around 2 weeks ago
and spent some time looking at the source in Xcode.
The files mon.h and mon.cxx are missing :-(
When I opened the project in some version of Xcode,
it also complained about some other missing files.
If would be nice if you gave a more detailed answer
specifying any other files, , versions of Xcode, ...

In the old days (1968 - 1981) when I wrote compilers for Control Data Corp we were expected to comment our code and write documentation (Internal Maintenance Specs)
explaining it's operation to other potential users.
I see no such documentation from todays programmers.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you want to use Xcode, a universal SheepShaver for OSX can only be compiled on Snow Leopard with Xcode up to 3.2.6. It depends on the 10.4 universal (gcc 4.0) development environment.
You also need the SDL 1.2 development libs.

Please see our compiling guide here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/com ... r_basilisk.

Mon files should be here: http://cxmon.cebix.net/

Best,
Cat_7