Increasing resolution

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

calion
Student Driver

Increasing resolution

Post by calion »

Running SS in full-screen mode is great in principle, but my screen can handle a better resolution than 1024x768; 1680x1050 to be precise. When I input those numbers into SS Preferences and start up in Full Screen mode, I get a beautiful high-resolution startup screen—for about five seconds, before it changes back to boring, fuzzy 1024x768.

Is there a way to remedy this?
calion
Student Driver

Re: Increasing resolution

Post by calion »

Aha! Nevermind. I just had to go into the Monitors control panel and change the resolution.

Here's a feature request, then: Control-Return should both change the resolution and switch to/from full screen. When it's in Windowed mode, I obviously want a lower resolution so I can see my desktop.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Would be a nice feature, but:

There is no regular development of SheepShaver (and BasiliskII) going on for almost 9 years. Various users with programmer skills have added features or fixed bugs since. So, you need to find someone who will want to look into this or you will have to add the feature yourself.

BTW: Knowing a little about how SheepShaver works, my guess is that it would not be simple to create such feature.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Actually, I just thought of a way of accomplishing this while thinking of how to write up "it's too complicated" with a bit more depth.

The issue is that you'd have to control the OS itself to change the screen size -- but that got me thinking that it really just uses the Monitors CP to update the toolbox call that sets the value in memory... and since SS controls this and only emulates one set of hardware anyway, it knows where this value would be in memory, and could set and lock it when in full screen mode (meaning the Monitors CP wouldn't actually do anything, but might cause a crash if you use it).

But making this change depends upon someone actually modifying the code, and I know at least I'm not going to have the chance to do that in the foreseeable future.