Cursor not displayed during game play

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

djfinton
Student Driver

Cursor not displayed during game play

Post by djfinton »

First, thanks for creating this!

My first two apps have been old Mac games: Jewelbox and Glider Pro. In both, the cursor disappears once the game starts. I can move the mouse and it seems to be tracked correctly. If I move it beyond the SheepShaver window, I again see it in my OS X system. Once the game stops, I see the mouse again. Sometimes, I can click stuff while the game is running, and get the mouse to start displaying, but sometimes things get messed up, and all my windows are red. I see the same response in full-screen mode. (I made the mistake of clicking around in full-screen mode, and managed to hang SheepShaver -- had to do a hard reset of my Mac).

My Mac is an early 2008 Intel dual quad-core Mac Pro with 8 GB RAM, newly upgraded to Yosemite. I used the 1 Feb 2014 build of SheepShaver, with a new world ROM. My Mac OS installation disk image came from Macintosh Garden: MacOS904_Internal -- Apple's internal version of System 9.0.4. I used the settings given in the Emaculation setup tutorial, and chose a window size of 1024 x 768, "Dynamic" refresh rate, and 256 MB virtual RAM. I have used a Logitec trackball that communicates with a plugin-bluetooth receiver, as well as an old Apple one-button mouse plugged directly into the front of my Mac Pro -- same results.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

David
djfinton
Student Driver

Re: Cursor not displayed during game play

Post by djfinton »

One other datum: Jewelbox required me to change my display to 256 colors.
djfinton
Student Driver

Post by djfinton »

This is strange: If I slowly move the mouse onto SheepShave from the lower left, so that the cursor passes over the control strip, usually it continues to display. If I don't do this, it's usually invisible. What's going on? I don't have much familiarity with Classic Mac systems.

Thanks,

David
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I tried Jewelbox in both 1 Feb 2014 and 25 October 2009 builds (both MacOS 9.0.4) as wel as in BasiliskII (System 7.5.5). Same issue everywhere. Possibly, the game draws its own cursor that is not recognized by SheepShaver/BasiliskII. However, Macintosh Garden claims that the game is compatible with both SheepShaver and BasiliskII. I have no solution.

(This is in OSX 10.10.1 and with an Apple Magic Mouse.)
djfinton
Student Driver

Post by djfinton »

Thank you, Ronald! Now I feel much better about my installation.

For those two games, mouse is not even needed.

For the next game I want to install, mouse will be very much needed: Starship Titanic. :smile:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'm not sure about Jewelbox, but Glider Pro does indeed do its own mouse handling. The mouse showing up is actually a glitch; I don't recall being able to see the mouse during the game back when I played it on a Mac Plus. I seem to recall that in some versions of the game, you could adjust your tilt by mouse instead of the arrow keys.