SheepShaver update for Yosemite

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

V.I.N.Cent
Space Cadet

SheepShaver update for Yosemite

Post by V.I.N.Cent »

In looking at what I can find here, SheepSaver is having some problems running on Yosemite. It looks like folks are able to get it to run in 32-bit mode but not 64-bit, is that correct?

Has anyone had any more luck with this or heard anything from SheepShaver as to whether it is being addressed?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver update for Yosemite

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You're correct. The current build for OSX does not run in 64 bit mode.
Whether and when this will be addressed is uncertain.

Best,
Cat_7
vocaltch48
Space Cadet

Post by vocaltch48 »

I've been running the latest sheep shaver 2.4 on mavericks and it works perfectly. However, once I updated to Yosemite it won't even start I've read all the boards I've put it in applications folder in 32 bit mode, I've set up "open with" to sheepshaver, i have my previous disk, rom, preferences folder, and have put the shared folder on the desktop but nothing seems to work. I have my old setup on another disk running mavericks so i know that it works great can someone help
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

How did you upgrade to Yosemite? Did you do the upgrade in place on an existing system? Did you do a clean install and migrated using the Migration Assistant? Or did you manually copy files over from the old system to the new one?

If you moved SheepShaver and related files to a different startup disk, or to a different user, or to a newly set up user, you need to set up SheepShaver from the start. The preferences settings were left behind in a invisible preferences file in your Home folder.

Make sure SheepShaver is set to open in 32-bit mode and that the ROM file is named "Mac OS ROM" (without file name extension). See the setup guide: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
vocaltch48
Space Cadet

Post by vocaltch48 »

no luck everything is as you said started from ground up mac os rom. shared folder on desktop, new copies of os rom and my "new disk" and sheep shaver
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Make sure you have a compatible rom file, old world rom or new world rom depending on the MacOS version you want to use in SheepShaver.

If SheepShaver is set to open in 32-bit mode and if you have a compatible rom file in the same folder with SheepShaver and that rom file is named exactly Mac OS ROM (without extension!), SheepShaver should at least launch and show the screen with flashing question mark.

Check both SheepShaver (32-bit) and the ROM file (correct name without extension) in Finder Info:

vocaltch48
Space Cadet

Post by vocaltch48 »

are you going to retool version so it will run in 64 bit mode? thx again
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Not me. I am just an experienced user. I post application builds for users who do not know how to build from source and I wrote the setup guide. I am not a programmer, not a software developer.

Regular development of SheepShaver (and BasiliskII) stopped in 2006. Since then, several users with programmer skills have added features and fixed bugs. We will have to wait till (and if) someone will do something about the 64-bit issue in Yosemite.
Seguinbg
Space Cadet

Post by Seguinbg »

Don't know if this adds to knowledge base, but I was finally successful at migrating my OS 6.8 Sheepsaver volume to Yosemite.
I will do my best to list the steps I took.
1) Using 6.8 disk utility I created a new disk image of my 6.8 file, running Os9
Converting from a .HFV file to a .dsk file.
2) I made a disk image of my OS 9 install CD. For G3 Dv?,, uncompressed/locked
3). I downloaded an 8.6 retail image from os9lives. Bear with me on this, you'll see in a minute.
This file was received as a .toast image which apparently is ISO too.
4) I copied this image to my Mac G3 thinking I would use toast to unbundle it, but it wouldn't recognize it. I then either used the G3 or my 8.6 Intel disk utility to create a new image from the toast file.
5) then on Yosemite (2012 mini), Sheepsaver 4.02? In preferences I added first my .dsk volume, then the OS8.6 .dmg, then the os9 .dmg
6) I started Sheepshaver and behold my volume opened up!!
7) it did tell me one of my volumes was unreadable, so I tried various permutations. I backed up all then restarted and initialized the OS9 image volume, restarted and it still worked.
8) I clicked on the Os8 volume and it asked me to insert disk 1. So I just cancelled.
9) I tried various combinations of vols in prefs, and it only worked with these 3 in this order.
10). I now use the Os9 volume as data storage, and ignore the 8.6 volume.
11) weird, but I have all my legacy files and the personal fiancé software back
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Strange. Although a 6.8 MacOS installation is unusual (or was it 8.6?), if a startup MacOS volume works in any SheepShaver anywhere, it should work in any other SheepShaver anywhere else, also in Yosemite. Don't know what the problem is in your case.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
JimF
Space Cadet

Post by JimF »

I upgraded to Yosemite today, and my initial experience with Sheepshaver is that it will NOT run from the Dock, even when removed from the Dock and replaced there, but it runs when directly started from its folder in Apps. It will then run either in a window or full screen with no problems as far as I can see.

My setup was working perfectly in Mavericks, in 32-bit mode.
Basilisk II and MinivMac both start from the Dock as expected.

I'm not unhappy exactly, just puzzled! Is there any solution?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Strange. I cannot imagine the issue has anything to do with SheepShaver itself. Did you try to log-out and log-in again (which will restart the Dock)?
JimF
Space Cadet

Post by JimF »

Thank you very much, that worked, whether in conjunction with my removal of the icon and then reinstating it, I do not know. Where would we be without your helpful responses?!
By the way, for any remaining hesitating Mavericks users out there, I can only say the Yosemite upgrade has been - for me at least - one of the least disruptive (in terms of incompatible software) I have ever done. Most of my older apps just work, a few needed an older version of Java re-installing.