Unable to unlock these locked files. Help?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Mossy
Space Cadet

Unable to unlock these locked files. Help?

Post by Mossy »

I probably went the wrong way about installing (or trying to install) a couple of games. I think I had disc images that I turned to toast files, then I tried to lock them, as a guide suggested. It wouldn't let me. So then I tried to bring them to the Unix folder, where they automatically became copies. So I locked them on the Yosemite side and brought them back. Only one of those actually installed properly, but the point is, now I have these locked images that I can't delete or move to the Unix folder.

Holding the Option key when emptying the trash does nothing, and the trash folder is hidden on the Yosemite side. I searched for it and found it, but it had nothing in it, despite there being those files in the trash.

If someone knows how to set it so that I can actually unlock these things, that'd be great. But checking info and clicking the checked box doesn't change anything at all.
Edit: I should note that there was one file that I could unlock. The others, I can't.

Is it utterly hopeless? Will I be without these extra 350 megs forever?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Unable to unlock these locked files. Help?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am not sure how you try to mount the image files in SheepShaver. Anyway, you should not use them from inside the MacOS environment in SheepShaver. Do not use the shared folder, keep the image files on the OSX side and add them to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. See setup manual: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... own_issues

You cannot trash files from the Unix folder on the MacOS side, you need to do that on the OSX side. Also, files moved from the Unix volume onto the desktop are still on the Unix folder, in a folder "Desktop Folder" (invisible in MacOS but accessible in the shared folder on the OSX side). See setup manual: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... _unix_disk

Remember that in MacOS there is no single Desktop location, nor a single Trash location, each volume has its own Desktop and its own Trash. What you see is the combined Desktop and Trash of all mounted volumes.

Do I understand correctly that you now have locked image files on a volume (other than the Unix volume) inside SheepShaver?
Mossy
Space Cadet

Post by Mossy »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Do I understand correctly that you now have locked image files on a volume (other than the Unix volume) inside SheepShaver?
Yes. And there's only one volume other than Unix, so shouldn't the desktop be just for that?
The Desktop Folder shows up on the OSX side, but does not appear to contain these locked files.

Are you saying I'm supposed to add disk images to the volumes list in preferences, and not install with Disk Copy or the like?

All I really need to know is if there's a way to unlock these. Is there a control panel setting somewhere that I'm missing?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Mossy wrote:And there's only one volume other than Unix, so shouldn't the desktop be just for that?
No, unlike in OSX, each volume has its own desktop. What you see is the combined content of all desktops. The files in the Desktop Folder in the shared folder should also be visible on the MacOS desktop when the Unix volume is mounted. Note that applications will not run properly from the Unix volume, also not when moved to the desktop.
The Desktop Folder shows up on the OSX side, but does not appear to contain these locked files.
If that Desktop Folder is in the shared folder, those files are on the other volume in SheepShaver.
Are you saying I'm supposed to add disk images to the volumes list in preferences, and not install with Disk Copy or the like?
Yes, preferably. Depends on the size and on how you want to use it. The image files need to be in uncompressed, read/write, or DVD/CD Master format. Most Toast files will work also.

Please study the setup manual. All of it!
All I really need to know is if there's a way to unlock these. Is there a control panel setting somewhere that I'm missing?
How did you get these files to be locked in MacOS? If you used the Finder Info panel in MacOS, you can unlock them the same way. Select the file, hit command-I and uncheck the "Locked" checkbox at the bottom.
Mossy
Space Cadet

Post by Mossy »

How did you get these files to be locked in MacOS? If you used the Finder Info panel in MacOS, you can unlock them the same way. Select the file, hit command-I and uncheck the "Locked" checkbox at the bottom.
They were downloaded. One of them was automatically locked when I downloaded it, while the other one I manually locked in OSX, which a guide told me to do.

I think that, in the opening post, I mentioned that OS9 will not let me uncheck the lock box. That's the entire problem. I can't unlock them, I can't force-delete them, and I can't move them to Unix in order to delete them from OSX.

Is there any way to access, via OSX, the other desktop?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In MacOS you cannot move a file from one volume to another. It will always be copied. So you cannot move the files to the Unix volume (and thus to the shared folder).

If the SheepShaver boot volume is formatted HFS+, you should be able to mount it in OSX and make changes.

1. Make sure SheepShaver is not running.
2. Find the boot disk image in OSX, open Finder Info panel for the file and change its file name extension to .dmg
3. The image can now be mounted in OSX by double-clicking.
4. View its content and find the Desktop Folder. The offending files should be there. Try to trash them AND empty the trash. (Unlock the files first in OSX Finder Info if needed.)
5. Close the disk image window and unmount the image volume.
6. Again in Finder Info for the image file, change the file name extension back to what it was before.

Edit: Inserted 5. about unmounting the image volume.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Mossy
Space Cadet

Post by Mossy »

Thank you, that fixed it. :)

I'll go check out the entirety of the manual now.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

For future people coming here, if you do not currently have access to OSX (like me) nor if you do not see yourself copying your entire hard drive IMG file (40GB anyone?) over to an friend's OSX computer to do the solution proposed before my post, here's another very simple solution:

Remove the "FILE LOCKED" (*NOT THE SAME* AS "LOCKED") flag. You can easily untick the checkbox in FILE INFO from FILE menu in ResEdit. A "File Locked" file cannot be deleted even by pressing OPTION when emptying the trash :P

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Man that brings back memories.... I used to set that flag on hidden games files for people so that if their floppy disk was found by a teacher, their games couldn't be erased. I'd add the invisible flag, and just have it launched via another application (that could be erased, but rebooting would re-create it).
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Formatting the disk would still destroy all those locked files. It's not like it's impossible to delete them, just that with the OPTION KEY down while emptying the trash, it's impossible. It served its purpose back then because I'd say 99% of people thought it was impossible to get rid of those files lol :P