GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Re: GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

Post by LightBulbFun »

I was wondering if my post on MR would show up on here heh (if anyone is wondering I did get 10.5.8 to boot in QEMU) be warned getting 10.5 going in QEMU is no easy task... (would of been much easier if mac99 emulation could boot OS X sadly it does not) I tried the same image in PearPC in 0.5 it hangs early on the boot process but in 0.4 it will boot to a desktop then the emulator randomly quits (some times it will quit just before the dock loads etc). BTW you can boot OS X 10.4 and 10.5 in virtual box you just have to remove the intel power management kext (VBox causes that to crash and take the system down)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yeah; 10.5.x is a headache to get anywhere with. So do you recall what you did to get it working? I've got a Mini actually running it, so I can definitely generate a working bootable image, and apply any kext patches/extra fixes needed.

I've had the same experience as you regarding PPC 0.5/0.4 (redscorp got me slightly further than vanilla 0.4).

Regarding VirtualBox, have you attempted booting in post 4.3.6? I was booting both my 10.4.11 and 10.5.8 images on that, but any later version, they fail to boot, even with the kext fix and CPU reporting fixes. There's a long discussion about it on the VBox forums, and I haven't seen anyone able to get a guest booting yet on, say, VBox 5.0.2. I'm currently over-installing VBox between versions depending on which image I want to boot (10.10 doesn't do so well on 4.3.6).
LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Post by LightBulbFun »

well my VBOX install is 5.0 IRC and I had 10.4.11 booting on it fine (system profiler crashes but thats about it) its a stock install imaged from a real Mac all I had to do to get it to boot was nuke the intel power management kext heh
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Weird... which host Mac are you using? It could be something to do with the EFI changes between the old and new Core Macs....
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Those mentions to Tiger 10.4.11 running on VirtualBox are somewhat confusing to me. I interpret that is NOT the stock PPC Tiger, but a especially compiled version for Intel. Is this hunch correct?
LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Post by LightBulbFun »

yes this is tiger for intel (the first intel Macs shipped with special builds of tiger machine specific for the most part) here is a screen shot of tiger running in vbox (the host machine in this case is a quad core intel i7 haswell hackintosh using the clover boot loader but it also worked on my Mid 2007 Macbook pro and a Core 2 quad Xeon hackintosh using the chameleon boot loader) Image
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Tiger for Intel started at OS X 10.4.7; I've stuck the complete list of what versions run on what hardware here: http://apple.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Mac_OS_versions
LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Post by LightBulbFun »

actually the first intel build of tiger was 10.4.1 then 10.4.3 with a full public release happening with 10.4.4 with the first core duo iMacs... (the Pentium 4 ADP machines used 10.4.1 and 10.4.3 I have 10.4.1 but cant get 10.4.3)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Right; thanks for the reminder; that page only tracks public releases, but I forgot about the core duo release with 10.4.4 ([edit] "forgot" as in, I updated the 10.4.4 page years ago, but forgot to change the list page). Tiger was, of course, built for Intel from the initial betas and DP releases, but I don't add those.

So... which hardware are you running the 10.4 VM on?
LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Post by LightBulbFun »

like I said in my post with the screen shot in it... iv ran it on a MacBookPro 3,1 T7500 Core 2 duo, a X3220 Xeon Hackintosh and a Haswell Core i7 4700MQ Laptop hackintosh (to boot tiger on a Haswell system you need to patch the kernel but thats regardless if its running in VBOX or vmware...)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks; somehow I never saw that on the screenshot post. I'd expect it to run on the Core 2 duo; the Xeon and Haswell should require kernel patches like you've got -- I'm wondering if that's what let it work on yours but not on mine. I've tried on two Mac Haswells (unpatched) without success.

At least that points me in the direction of what needs to be modified to make things work again. Thanks :)
LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Post by LightBulbFun »

Just going to point out that Leopard does not require the kernel patching to boot (Just remove the apple intel power management kext) and that Tiger only needs the kernel patch on haswell (the X3220 Xeon is based off the Core 2 quad Q6600) http://landonf.org/2013/12/index.html (check this out for kernel patching it works on the client OS X too)
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

So, is there any news at all regarding the progress of this project? Is there any likelihood to the scenario that someone (Cormac O'Brien?) will make booting of OS 9.2 possible in Qemu? Or is it more likely that we'll have to wait until at least the second half of 2016?
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

The git repo hasn't been updated since july 1st.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I sent Cormac an email yesterday; haven't had a reply yet.
DANADAX
Student Driver

Post by DANADAX »

So... Anything new, at all?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Nope, nothing happening on this front.

Best,
Cat_7
gtxaspec
Tinkerer

Post by gtxaspec »

woah cowboy!

there's always somethin' coming around the bend.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu ... 05556.html
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Thanks for the good news. I've replaced the old openbios-ppc with the linked file and run

qemu-install/bin/qemu-system-ppc -bios openbios-ppc -boot d -cdrom os9.iso -M mac99 -m 512 -cpu 750

Sadly, the boot process keeps dying in the same place. Maybe the near future will bring further hope.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That's VERY promising... Mark fixed the CUDA issues that were giving Cormac a headache!

This means that Classic and OS 9 should both boot far enough to load Macsbug now (no fully running OS yet AFAIK).
gtxaspec
Tinkerer

Post by gtxaspec »

adespoton wrote:That's VERY promising... Mark fixed the CUDA issues that were giving Cormac a headache!

This means that Classic and OS 9 should both boot far enough to load Macsbug now (no fully running OS yet AFAIK).

yep! and more importantly he fixed the issues that were preventing patch inclusion, and or breaking darwin/osx from cormac's patch set so hopefully these will be included into the official releases soon... bringing more exposure to the os9 on qemu issue!

spread the word!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The patches are meant for qemu. We need them applied to qemu before that new bios can be used in conjunction with a new qemu. I tried to apply all 13 of them to the source tree but failed.
Someone willing to give it a go?

Best,
cat_7
gtxaspec
Tinkerer

Post by gtxaspec »

perhaps they fail because the patches are already included in upstream git repo?

try compiling with no patches.

i would try but I am new to development on OSX and am currently trying to install all development tools to compile it.
gtxaspec
Tinkerer

Post by gtxaspec »

i was able to apply all 13 patches to the qemu master repo, but it still crashes on boot at the macos screen.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

gtxaspec wrote:i was able to apply all 13 patches to the qemu master repo, but it still crashes on boot at the macos screen.
Excellent. The big test is: Can you boot OS X 10.4 on the same build? If you can, we're exactly where we should be, and development on enabling /functional/ OS 9 in qemu can continue :)