GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

gtxaspec
Tinkerer

Re: GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

Post by gtxaspec »

i dont have that OS. I could upload a precompiled version if you would like to test!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Please do. I still have all OSX versions that run with qemu.

Best,
Cat_7
gtxaspec
Tinkerer

Post by gtxaspec »

http://bebop.gtxent.com/qemu_new.tar.gz

includes patched sources and binaries, and latest openbios from Mark's post on the mailing list.
gtxaspec
Tinkerer

Post by gtxaspec »

is there a chat room you guys hang out on? like #emaculation on freenode or something?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... ead#unread :D

Seriously; we're pretty much equidistant around the world and have full-time occupations. A chat room wouldn't be any more useful than this forum.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Small report: 10.3 and 10.4 still booting with the new qemu and bios. Booting the OS 9.2 cd image doesn't crash here, just hangs with 100%.
As hoped, but also expected, Classic now shows bootscreen in OSX but then hangs ;-)

So close....
A word of caution: when you try to start classic, OSX informs you it needs to update some files on the boot volume, stating that the operation will not influence your capability to boot from the volume. It seems this is not true. Both my panther and tiger images are now unbootable with this version of qemu and bios.

Best,
Cat_7
gtxaspec
Tinkerer

Post by gtxaspec »

I contacted Mark Cave-Ayland via email and he explained that his test setup crashed at the same spot, the issue possibly being a "USB OHCI reset issue".

Does anyone have experience debugging with QEMU? Macsbug? I've been able to load Open Firmware interface and enable macsbug, as referenced in page 6 of this thread, alas after the MacOS starting up screen displays it dissapears.

Cat_7, you mentioned your OS9 boot cd crashed at 100%... does this mean the progress bar was at 100%?

thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

No. 100% CPU utilization ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Some of the newer qemu components seem to require newer libraries to be installed in /usr/, which is now impossible to accomplish in El Capitan, unless SIP is disabled.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

/usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin aren't locked out by SIP. That's where all my libraries and binaries go.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

This qemu build is dependent on later versions of libpthread etc., as became clear when starting it with non-updated versions of these libs in Yosemite.
I updated the required libs by running brew and then de-link and install the latest glib.

Best,
Cat_7
nyreal
Space Cadet

Post by nyreal »

Hi guys, I'm trying to boot Mac OS 10.0 in QEMU using

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc
but every time I try booting off of the CD ISO image I get this screen:

"No valid state has been set by load or init-program"

It's driving me crazy. I have tried multiple different ISO's of different versions of OS X (10.2, 10.4, 10.0 public beta) to no avail. At the end of every attempt I wind up at that screen.
Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is my exact command I use when launching qemu:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc -m 256 -M g3beige -cpu G3 -cdrom ~/Desktop/10.iso -g 1024x768x32 -hda ~/Desktop/machd.img -boot d -prom-env 'boot-args=-v'
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

For OS X, you'll want to write the CD/DVD to a partition of an uncompressed unencrypted disk image and boot from that. The CD booting is for OS 9.2.

That said: has anyone tried booting OS 9.0.4 on the new experimental build of qemu yet? I bet there's some non-MMU stuff we need to get working, and checking the differences between 9.0.4 and 9.2 would help isolate them.
nyreal
Space Cadet

Post by nyreal »

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. The ISO I am trying to use to boot from is unencrypted. I made the iso with Disk Utility from one of my own Mac OS X install disks.

Could you be a bit more specific of what I should do?

Thanks so much for the help!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I mean you're going to need to create a regular disk image (not a CD image), mount it, and then restore the CD onto a read/write partition on it. Then you need to ensure that the drive image is bootable and uses the correct partitioning scheme (which differs for older and newer versions of OS X.

It's probably easier to prepare things using PearPC than using qemu, and then just use the prepared image to boot under qemu. That's what I do.
nyreal
Space Cadet

Post by nyreal »

Thanks! It boots now, but I get stuck at this screen:

Also, when I try booting with Tiger, I get to the setup screen. BUT after I run the installer, it appears that it hasn't really installed anything onto my qemu hard drive disk image. Any suggestions?

Thanks again, you've been a big help haha

Edit:

I can now get a little further, but then the kernel panics. :/

nyreal
Space Cadet

Post by nyreal »

OK, I can boot Jaguar now and run the installer, but after everything is installed and I try to reboot off the hard disk OpenBIOS just hangs...

Any suggestions?

I can give a screenshot if needed.

Thanks for the help, I wish I knew more about this stuff. I feel like I'm bugging you.
mcayland
Mac Mechanic

Post by mcayland »

Which version of QEMU are you using? Anything before 2.4 had a disk bug that would corrupt some unaligned DMA write requests, and this was exactly the symptom I would get before this was fixed.
gtxaspec
Tinkerer

Post by gtxaspec »

are sheepshaver images supported in qemu? i have been unable to boot from them. does anyone have similiar experiences?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No SheepShaver disk images are not supported, certainly not as boot disks. They can contain 9.0.4 as highest version of Mac OS, which Qemu can't boot.

Are you running these experiments with your latest version of Qemu and Openbios? I guess mcayland asked you that to assess whether there are any regressions with that openbios and qemu patch combination.

Best,
Cat_7
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I believe not. Those are the same 13 patches addressed earlier.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That's good news though -- the patches have been applied to ppc-next. Code freeze coming soon, which means we'll have this round of fixes rolled in to the main codebase soon.

Time to get back to proper handling of MACSBUG and identifying the still unhandled calls in the boot process :)
mcayland
Mac Mechanic

Post by mcayland »

It is possible to get into MacsBugs if you mount the HFS OS 9.2 ISO and manually copy the MacsBugs extension into the Extensions folder so it can be enabled on the next reboot whilst holding CTRL.

Unfortunately by the time that MacsBugs actually breaks it seems as if the stack has already become hopelessly corrupted so there are few clues as to what has happened.

What this really needs to progress is someone who has experience programming with MacOS toolbox and MacsBugs who can give pointers as to where to set breakpoints and how/what to trace with the NK debugger to work out what is going on here - and sadly that person isn't me :(
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

mcayland wrote:What this really needs to progress is someone who has experience programming with MacOS toolbox and MacsBugs who can give pointers as to where to set breakpoints and how/what to trace with the NK debugger to work out what is going on here - and sadly that person isn't me :(
I wonder.. aren't any of the classic Mac OS engineers out there interested in any sort of emulation at all? I don't know, it seems to me that at least a couple of these knowledgeable people could engage such activities after several years working with something else. It is curious how people in this Mac emulation community always have to figure out stuff by themselves.

Oh well, I wouldn't try to run some old systems I participated in the past, but I do think they aren't worth being ressurrected. Maybe these guys who developed for Apple in the past have a similar feeling?

I remember I read some stuff from a lady long ago about the Apple toolkit. It gave me the impression she was very knowledgeable. I don't recall her name, but I posted something here about it. I think she was in a QEMU mail list too.