Windows 10, PearPC and Parallels Desktop for Mac

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

marka4
Space Cadet

Windows 10, PearPC and Parallels Desktop for Mac

Post by marka4 »

Can anyone confirm that they were able to run PearPC in a Windows 10 host? I am also interested in putting Windows in a Parallels (version 10 or 11) in Yosemite or El Capitan on my Mac. Does it have an effect on how well PearPC runs if it is in a VM?

It does appear that some people have worked to get Windows 7 working with PearPC but I didn't notice if they had success.

I'm looking forward to running Tiger within PearPC.

Thanks,
Mark
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Windows 10, PearPC and Parallels Desktop for Mac

Post by adespoton »

I run Tiger in PearPC for OS X; it works quite well this way. I've also run it through WineSkin, which prevents networking from working.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

PearPC runs just fine in Windows 10.
Putting PearPC in a Windows host inside Parallels would slow things down.

Best,
Cat_7
marka4
Space Cadet

Post by marka4 »

adespoton wrote:I run Tiger in PearPC for OS X; it works quite well this way. I've also run it through WineSkin, which prevents networking from working.
Do you mean the "PearPC for OS X" build from around Feb. 2004 that Cat_7 built and that he announced in the "PearPC for OS X" topic? He called it "slow as a slug" :smile: Were you able to speed it up?

I saw from a previous post that you asked about networking in that build; did you get networking to work in his build?

What host OS version did you use?

Thanks.
marka4
Space Cadet

Post by marka4 »

Cat_7 wrote:PearPC runs just fine in Windows 10.
Putting PearPC in a Windows host inside Parallels would slow things down.
That's good to know about Windows 10. I was afraid that Parallels would be slow. However I don't don't need too much speed for what I need to run in Tiger. I'll have to first try the Parallels method and "PearPC for OS X" since I don't have a Windows PC.

Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That build for OSX will still be slow as a slug. Slow as in unworkable.
My suggestion: don't go that way.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

marka4 wrote:
adespoton wrote:I run Tiger in PearPC for OS X; it works quite well this way. I've also run it through WineSkin, which prevents networking from working.
Do you mean the "PearPC for OS X" build from around Feb. 2004 that Cat_7 built and that he announced in the "PearPC for OS X" topic? He called it "slow as a slug" :smile: Were you able to speed it up?

I saw from a previous post that you asked about networking in that build; did you get networking to work in his build?

What host OS version did you use?

Thanks.
The last time I used the Mac build, I built it myself -- back around 2014 (or possibly early 2015). It was still slower than the Windows build under WINE, but networking worked via Tun/Tap and the RealTek kernel extension. Host OS was either Mavericks or Yosemite; I can't recall exactly. Guest OS that I tested was 10.4.

For my default VMs, I still use the WineSkin version for speed's sake. I'm looking forward to the day when I can replace PearPC and SheepShaver with QEMU, but that day hasn't arrived yet :)
marka4
Space Cadet

Post by marka4 »

Cat_7 wrote:That build for OSX will still be slow as a slug. Slow as in unworkable.
My suggestion: don't go that way.

Best,
Cat_7
Then I don't think I'll try the OS X build first. However I especially do want to work with the OS X version. When I retire in ~ 6 -12 months, I plan to build it myself and see if I can help work on it.
marka4
Space Cadet

Post by marka4 »

adespoton wrote: The last time I used the Mac build, I built it myself -- back around 2014 (or possibly early 2015). It was still slower than the Windows build under WINE, but networking worked via Tun/Tap and the RealTek kernel extension. Host OS was either Mavericks or Yosemite; I can't recall exactly. Guest OS that I tested was 10.4.

For my default VMs, I still use the WineSkin version for speed's sake. I'm looking forward to the day when I can replace PearPC and SheepShaver with QEMU, but that day hasn't arrived yet :)
Sounds like I have at least 2 other ways to run 10.4: WineSkin and QEMU.

Thanks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just a reminder that networking won't work under WineSkin.