Qemu package and guide for OSX available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Re: Qemu package and guide for OSX available

Post by MetalSnake »

thanks works with the images from mac garden :)
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

trying to use the network version (Qemu_2.7-rc0-network.OSX) now. Out of the box it doesn't seem to work. So back to the guide it says
For OSX Mountain Lion and above, supporting network bridging:

sudo -netdev tap,id=network0,script=no,downscript=no -device rtl8139,netdev=network0
sudo ifconfig bridge0 create
sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm en0
sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0
sudo ifconfig bridge0 up
but the first command is wrong.

My qemu.command for the network package:

Code: Select all

cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc27 -bios ./openbios-qemu-busmaster.elf -boot c -M mac99 -m 256 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -g 1024x768x32 -netdev user,id=network0 -device rtl8139,netdev=network0 -drive file=empty_disk.raw,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=MacOS91.toast,format=raw,media=cdrom
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please forget the tap/bridging setup for now. Stick with the:

"-netdev user,id=network0 -device rtl8139,netdev=network0"

networking option. You to install the realtek drivers in os 9.1 for networking with the realtek card to work.
I provided a zip with the required drivers.
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =34&t=9012

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Programmingkid wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: 3. For mounting CD images ("change ide1-cd0" from the Machine menu), the Open dialog only allows choosing .iso files. It should also allow choosing .cdr files.
(A .cdr file entered in the command as CD file works fine, and when I change the .cdr extension to .iso the file can be used for mounting from the Machine menu.)
I just fixed this problem today. Now you should be able to open .cdr files.

Here is the patch: https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/q ... 06761.html
Could we get another patch to handle .toast as well? Right now I rename as .iso to load, but while we're fixing up the code....
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

adespoton wrote:
Programmingkid wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: 3. For mounting CD images ("change ide1-cd0" from the Machine menu), the Open dialog only allows choosing .iso files. It should also allow choosing .cdr files.
(A .cdr file entered in the command as CD file works fine, and when I change the .cdr extension to .iso the file can be used for mounting from the Machine menu.)
I just fixed this problem today. Now you should be able to open .cdr files.

Here is the patch: https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/q ... 06761.html
Could we get another patch to handle .toast as well? Right now I rename as .iso to load, but while we're fixing up the code....
I am so sorry I didn't respond sooner. I didn't know about your post. I guess the website forgot to email me. It might be possible to support .toast files. Could you post a link to an example .toast file please. I could use it for testing. I'm hoping this file can be as small as possible and not a full CD image file.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

I was wondering if you could add -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 to your compile options. When I try the screamer version of QEMU, I see an "illegal instruction" error on Mac OS 10.6. You may have to set the base SDK to that of Mac OS 10.5 to make it work on older versions of Mac OS X. I will be more than happy to help. Thank you.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Programmingkid wrote:
adespoton wrote: Could we get another patch to handle .toast as well? Right now I rename as .iso to load, but while we're fixing up the code....
I am so sorry I didn't respond sooner. I didn't know about your post. I guess the website forgot to email me. It might be possible to support .toast files. Could you post a link to an example .toast file please. I could use it for testing. I'm hoping this file can be as small as possible and not a full CD image file.
I'll see if I can generate an empty test .toast image in the next couple of days. .toast is iso-9660 compatible, with just a few header changes to include more data for mixed mode etc. CDs.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

adespoton wrote:
Programmingkid wrote:
adespoton wrote: Could we get another patch to handle .toast as well? Right now I rename as .iso to load, but while we're fixing up the code....
I'll see if I can generate an empty test .toast image in the next couple of days. .toast is iso-9660 compatible, with just a few header changes to include more data for mixed mode etc. CDs.
I made my own toast image file already. It does work with QEMU. I sent in the patch for .toast files to be usable in QEMU. Here is the patch: https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/q ... 03686.html
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks! 2.9, here we come! :)
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:21-12-2016
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/Qe ... 122016.zip
This is a build with experimental sound support. It only works reasonably well with Mac OS 9.2

21-08-2016
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/Qe ... 082016.zip
This build includes support for the sungem network device, so no need to install the realtek drivers anymore.
Is there a build that combines both sound support & sungem network support?
Irken
Space Cadet

Post by Irken »

Hi!
Sound is not working for me for the build 11022017 :(

Cheers!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The builds from the official source code like the one you used do not support sound.
Those that do have serious issues.

If you want to experiment, you can download a build with sound support here :
For OSX: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =34&t=8848
For Windows: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =34&t=9028

Best,
Cat_7
Varum
Student Driver

Post by Varum »

Cat_7 wrote: 11-02-2017
A build from the official source is available here: ...
I don't know if I did it right but I used the qemu website / wiki method and that work well.
Maybe the Qemu wiki page http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... mu-for-osx could mention this alternative method ?

1 - Mac OS Terminal ; install brew https://brew.sh/index_fr.html
2 - brew install qemu (http://www.qemu-project.org/download/#macos)
3 - then create the disk as mention in the wiki page (qemu-img create -f raw -o size=2G MacOS9.2.img)
4 - use the suggested command http://wiki.qemu-project.org/index.php/ ... ms/PowerPC
5 - then use again the wiki page instruction to launch the VM

I say that because I was unable to boot with the MacOS install cdrom, using the wiki instruction. The OpenBIOS was stuck at the first line "try hd:,\\:tbxi" without being able to boot the cd.
I bet this is because I used brew to install Qemu...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Did you check which version of qemu brew was installing? This could also significantly affect what your version of qemu-ppc can do. The versions on this site are mostly custom builds with extra features added. OS 9 installation and early versions of OS X are still not stable in the official 2.8 release.
werdna
Student Driver

Post by werdna »

I've been a Mac user for a while and recently started playing around with emulators again, and checked back to this forum. I got 9.2.1 up and running on QEMU. A while ago I remember being worried things had died down to a halt; it's nice to see some active development going on in the emulation community!
:lol:
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

werdnaforever wrote:I've been a Mac user for a while and recently started playing around with emulators again, and checked back to this forum. I got 9.2.1 up and running on QEMU. A while ago I remember being worried things had died down to a halt; it's nice to see some active development going on in the emulation community!
It's nice, but Qemu leaves much to be desired when it comes to G3/G4 emulation, really slow, when compared to SS or Apple's Rosetta.
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

I was wondering which build of Qemu had 256 color support? Trying to test out a game but it requires 256 colors. Thanks!
shiggitay
Space Cadet

Post by shiggitay »

Thanks so much for the 10.0.0 Cheetah compatible QEMU 2.8 build! I'm feeling creative and nostalgic so I'm planning a retro/throwback Mac OS X review series for my main YouTube channel. I'm sure others have beat me to the punch on this, but I want some content for my main channel, and I thought this would be perfect for it.

Unless I figure it out before someone sees this post, I've having an issue with duplicating my qemu.command files so I can make a command file for each PPC OS X I plan on installing. I made a copy of the one that came with the 2.8 build and I changed the command line to include the raw HDD image as well as the CD-ROM ISO, but it doesn't budge. I do have it set as -boot c so it boots off of the HDD image, but it just sits there. I'm about to try it again with a fresh copy of the command file from a fresh decompress of the zip file. I'll report back.

EDIT: Okay that's odd and somewhat interesting... It seems that you can't boot up an instance of installed OS X when the command file has a path to the install ISO, even if you have it set as -boot c. I think I see what I need to do now to make it work how I want it to.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

EDIT: Okay that's odd and somewhat interesting... It seems that you can't boot up an instance of installed OS X when the command file has a path to the install ISO, even if you have it set as -boot c. I think I see what I need to do now to make it work how I want it to.
You should change -boot d to -boot c and change the order of the disk and cd image entries.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I was wondering which build of Qemu had 256 color support? Trying to test out a game but it requires 256 colors. Thanks!
Only qemu vga builds that came with the first qemu_vga.ndrv support 256 colors/greyscale.
Download this version of the driver and replace the one you are using now:
https://github.com/ozbenh/QemuMacDriver ... u_vga.ndrv

Best,
Cat_7
shiggitay
Space Cadet

Post by shiggitay »

Cat_7 wrote:
You should change -boot d to -boot c and change the order of the disk and cd image entries.

Best,
Cat_7
OH! Thank you for that! I was half-way there.
b0mbel
Space Cadet

Post by b0mbel »

Hej,

I would like to run OS 9.2.2 as a guest under a 10.11 host.

I've already installed 9.2.2 from a CD-Image, but every time I start it, I got "MacOS: unable to find a usable NVRAM partition - using offset 0x1400".
Sometimes it starts up ... but it's slow ... and it crashes very often ;/

Actually I`m not sure which combination would be the best for OS9.2.2 ... which QEMU-Version, which BIOS and so on.

I do need it for a very old software which uses a dongle - I was able to passthrough that hardware - and it works with a special driver.

The second thing would be a printer, but how I said ... it should run quite stable without any error ;(

Maybe someone has any idea.

Cheers,
-bomb

This is how I do start it:

Code: Select all

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -g 1024x768x32 -cpu G3 -drive file=MacOS9.2.2.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-host,vendorid=0x04b9,productid=0x0300
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you want to use that resolution, you're going to have to run a version with the VGA patch. I use the one from last August.

However, a recent build of 2.90 will work fine as long as you don't need sungem or vga support. USB passthrough could be tricky, but please document your attempts.
b0mbel
Space Cadet

Post by b0mbel »

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm ... I need at least 1024x768 resolution.

... anyhow - why is this "error" about NVRAM comming all the time?
... and in my opinion OS9.2.2 is quite slow ;(

USB passthrough works great so fast ... only tested with the dongle (RAINBOW Eve3) I mentioned.

Cheers,
-bomb
b0mbel
Space Cadet

Post by b0mbel »

adespoton wrote:If you want to use that resolution, you're going to have to run a version with the VGA patch. I use the one from last August.
But which openbios do you use ... is there any download-link for the complete QEMU2.8 not just "build only"

Thanks,
-bomb