GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

sidoh
Tinkerer

Re: GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

Post by sidoh »

I'll just leave this here:

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

mcayland wrote:
adespoton wrote:Do the older builds have the same issues? Just wondering if we can pin this down to a refactoring issue, or if it is indeed something still unimplemented. From the fact that when using a raw device it appears to be hit and miss, I'd guess this isn't in the emulation itself, but more likely in the OpenBIOS code.
I think there was an interrupt change in OpenBIOS (edge to level) and Ben hacked some openpic code around this, so maybe that's the culprit? How does it compare with the official git master? Is it something in Ben's branch?
I've got limited access to my test rig this week; can someone else do a comparison with the master and see if the issue occurs there too?
pjc1990
Space Cadet

Post by pjc1990 »

does networking work in windows/os9 now or not? managed to get it to install at least.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

does networking work in windows/os9 now or not? managed to get it to install at least.
Certainly, both with the realtek and sungem device.

User networking:
-net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user
-net nic,model=sungem -net user

More full networking, tap based: Install openvpn's tap device and bridge it with your default networking device. Check the tap device name and put it where it says ifname=Tapdevicename. Example:
-net nic,model=sungem -net tap,ifname=Ethernet0

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

I can confirm that Mac OS X DP1 and Mac OS 9.0 do not work in the latest QEMU build as of this writing.

My DP1 image basically says that 'this image is not supported by my hardware' when booting. It also says 'Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer' when trying to run the installer from Mac OS 9.1.

My Mac OS 9.0 image is not bootable in QEMU for some reason. (It is fully installable in Sheepsaver though. I'll probably get another OS 9.0 disk later.) When doing a clean install on a disk that already has Mac OS 9.1 or later, QEMU hangs at an early part of install. When doing a clean install on a just formatted disk, I was able to install it, but booting it gave me the "floppy drive with a question mark on it" icon.
pjc1990
Space Cadet

Post by pjc1990 »

I've tried but internet explorer still says it cant find apple.com I've bridged my ethernet internet and the bridged connection turns on when I open QEMU but still doesn't work properly.
EVWeb
Student Driver

Post by EVWeb »

I just wish the mouse would stop jumping around as well as the display actually resize to the current resolution. I'm on Windows.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

Even with the newer 2.8-dev build, it still can jump all over the place. My solution is still to make it fullscreen (Ctrl + Alt + F) when you reach the desktop. I'll post how my 2.8-dev installation goes soon, compared to 2.7.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I can confirm that Mac OS X DP1 and Mac OS 9.0 do not work in the latest QEMU build as of this writing.

1. My DP1 image basically says that 'this image is not supported by my hardware' when booting. It also says 'Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer' when trying to run the installer from Mac OS 9.1.

2. My Mac OS 9.0 image is not bootable in QEMU for some reason. (It is fully installable in Sheepsaver though. I'll probably get another OS 9.0 disk later.) When doing a clean install on a disk that already has Mac OS 9.1 or later, QEMU hangs at an early part of install. When doing a clean install on a just formatted disk, I was able to install it, but booting it gave me the "floppy drive with a question mark on it" icon.
For 1: Please try the machine model mac99
For 2: Mac OS 9.0 should be for a G4, look for e.g., the cube install cd. There is a post above ;-) about which rom version should be included.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Do the older builds have the same issues? Just wondering if we can pin this down to a refactoring issue, or if it is indeed something still unimplemented. From the fact that when using a raw device it appears to be hit and miss, I'd guess this isn't in the emulation itself, but more likely in the OpenBIOS code.
It seems only the Windows builds are affected?

I just tried to install 9.2 with the Qemu/OpenBIOS rc4 Windows build by Stefan Weil. It also stumbles on the big morsels issue. But it can partition a disk. Should we consider this a real bug as it is in the main line code?

With my qemu/openbios build, the moment one clicks initialise in drive setup (when booted from a CD with OS 9.1, 9.2) qemu freezes. You also cannot initialise when using openbios from the busmaster branch. When using the main line openbios, you can initialise, but not install reliably due to the morsels error.

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

sidoh wrote:I'll just leave this here:

:eek: This is just awesome :D I do hope Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 works at some point. I've always wanted to really use Rhapsody but never had the proper setup (on actual hardware). Which build of qemu are you using & what's are you using in the qemu.command file?
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

Cat_7 wrote:

1. My DP1 image basically says that 'this image is not supported by my hardware' when booting. It also says 'Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer' when trying to run the installer from Mac OS 9.1.

2. My Mac OS 9.0 image is not bootable in QEMU for some reason. (It is fully installable in Sheepsaver though. I'll probably get another OS 9.0 disk later.) When doing a clean install on a disk that already has Mac OS 9.1 or later, QEMU hangs at an early part of install. When doing a clean install on a just formatted disk, I was able to install it, but booting it gave me the "floppy drive with a question mark on it" icon.
For 2: Mac OS 9.0 should be for a G4, look for e.g., the cube install cd. There is a post above ;-) about which rom version should be included.

Best,
Cat_7
Thanks for that, mate. I'll try to get a 9.0.x CD for a G4 later (Downloading the 10.0 Public Beta right now). As for 10.0 DP1, this happened with both the mac99 and the mac99p machine types, no matter if I was emulating a G3 or G4.

@celebi23: The steps for installing DP2 are the same as the ones for installing DP3. I'll just post how I installed them here. (FYI, I am using the most recent 2.8 build for Windows, on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Techincal Preview 5. Also, these steps do not include networking, as I don't really have any need to use it in these versions. They don't even come with a web browser! :lol: )

1. Let's assume that the disk image is named 'macosx100dp2.raw' and the cd image is named 'macosx100dp2.iso'. First, format the disk image with any OS 9 version or even copy an existing OS 9 disk image to be used as your OS X disk image if you have one. Then, start up QEMU with this command:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-wip -bios c:\qemu-ppc\openbios-qemu-wip.elf -L pc-bios -boot d -m 256 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=false" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -g 1024x768x32 -cpu G3 -drive file=c:\qemu-ppc\macosx100dp2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=c:\qemu-ppc\macosx100dp2.raw,format=raw,media=disk
2. You should get to the openbios prompt. Once there, type the following command to boot to the Mac OS X partition: (The DP2 & DP3 cds contain a Mac OS partition and a Mac OS X partition, and qemu will boot the Mac OS partition by default. As the Mac OS partition contains a 9.0 version not for a G4, at latest, it will crash qemu.)

boot cd:9,\\:tbxi
3. Mac OS X should boot. The happy mac in both DP2 and DP3 will come up wrong, but don't worry, the actual installer comes up fine.

4. Follow the steps given in the installer, and make sure to format the disk. (You can use HFS+ or UFS. Pick your poison, guv'nor.)

5. When it's time to reboot, close qemu after the openbios screen comes up again and type in the following command:

qemu-system-ppc-wip -bios c:\qemu-ppc\openbios-qemu-wip.elf -L pc-bios -boot c -m 256 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -g 1024x768x32 -cpu G3 -drive file=c:\qemu-ppc\macosx100dp2.raw,format=raw,media=disk
6. Follow the steps given in the Setup Assistant. It should be somwhat similar to OS 9's Setup Assistant.

7. Reboot normally, and enjoy. :wink:

You may substitute the values given if you want a different config, and even add networking if you so desire. However, I can't help you in the networking department, so be warned. :smile:
Last edited by sidoh on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

sidoh wrote:I'd also like to note that Mac OS X DP3 crashes when trying to boot from it's CD in the latest Windows build. This happened when I was both emulating a G3 and G4.

UPDATE: Spoke too soon. Apparently, I was booting off the wrong partition. Specifying the correct partition allowed DP3 to install fine:

http://i.imgur.com/a9TqWg9.png

http://i.imgur.com/hAWruJC.png
How did you manage to specify the partition? I'm trying to mess around with Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 a bit and it just keeps booting to the Mac OS 9 partition of the CD.
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

celebi23 wrote:How did you manage to specify the partition? I'm trying to mess around with Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 a bit and it just keeps booting to the Mac OS 9 partition of the CD.
See above for specifying the partition. It's for DP2 and DP3, but I imagine that it would be the same for Server 1.x (which I haven't tried yet).
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

sidoh wrote:
celebi23 wrote:How did you manage to specify the partition? I'm trying to mess around with Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 a bit and it just keeps booting to the Mac OS 9 partition of the CD.
See above for specifying the partition. It's for DP2 and DP3, but I imagine that it would be the same for Server 1.x (which I haven't tried yet).
Ah, I thought you meant there was a way to select the cd partition from the qemu command file. I misunderstood your DP 3 post. I'm still plugging away at Server 1.x. I've got the proper System Disk control panel & extension installed, it's just a matter of booting into the Server 1.x partition of the CD to install it.

I get to a point in the installation process and this error message pops up:
A fatal error occurred.
"No boot-device property in device-tree"

I've even tried configuring the settings in the System Disk control panel to boot from that other partition of the CD and it doesn't go well:
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

It looks like Server 1.x, along with DP1, still needs some work to boot properly. Also, you can't specify the partition in the qemu command, only the image. Have you tried booting the partition via openbios yet?
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

sidoh wrote:It looks like Server 1.x, along with DP1, still needs some work to boot properly. Also, you can't specify the partition in the qemu command, only the image. Have you tried booting the partition via openbios yet?
No, how would I do that?
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

celebi23 wrote:
sidoh wrote:It looks like Server 1.x, along with DP1, still needs some work to boot properly. Also, you can't specify the partition in the qemu command, only the image. Have you tried booting the partition via openbios yet?
No, how would I do that?
From the info I've gathered from the pictures, first specify this in your qemu command file:

-prom-env "auto-boot?=false"
Remove this in the command file if it is already there:

-prom-env "auto-boot?=true"
After that, run QEMU. When the openbios prompt comes up, enter this:

celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

sidoh wrote:
celebi23 wrote:
No, how would I do that?
From the info I've gathered from the pictures, first specify this in your qemu command file:

-prom-env "auto-boot?=false"
Remove this in the command file if it is already there:

-prom-env "auto-boot?=true"
After that, run QEMU. When the openbios prompt comes up, enter this:

Ok, will give this a shot

edit:
Got this error message:
"No valid state has been set by load or init-program"

Like you said, OS X Server 1.x & DP 1 probably still needs something to boot properly. Pretty awesome that you got DP 2 working though :razz:
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Can someone clarify whether these latest Qemu shortcomings affect all platforms equally or are they Windows-specific? A few days ago, I came to the conclusion that running OS 9.2.2 and/or OS 10.4.11 on Qemu in OS X was entirely functional, except for sound (although I have some lingering doubts about the possibility of 3D "hardware" acceleration, USB usage and printing), but now it seems there are still lots of problems to be ironed out. Clarification would be nice. In addition, can the spreadsheet in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view?pli=1 be updated?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I just re-built with the qemu master git sources, and disk handling seems fine there. I haven't built openbios from scratch before, and it appears I'm missing a ppc cross-compiler :\ So I can't do any fine-grained tests there. More than willing to test multiple builds if someone throws the pre-built elf binaries my way though.
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

Cat_7 wrote:

Best,
Cat_7
Hmm. I got the 9.0.0 CD for the Power Mac G4, but booting it crashes qemu. Should I get a 9.0.4 CD instead?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Which qemu build are you using? Which OpenBIOS build?
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

adespoton wrote:Which qemu build are you using? Which OpenBIOS build?
Latest available build for Windows.
This problem happens on both the included openbios and an earlier one provided in this thread:
https://www.ilande.co.uk/tmp/openbios/openbios-ppc-rtas
mcayland
Mac Mechanic

Post by mcayland »

adespoton wrote:I just re-built with the qemu master git sources, and disk handling seems fine there. I haven't built openbios from scratch before, and it appears I'm missing a ppc cross-compiler :\ So I can't do any fine-grained tests there. More than willing to test multiple builds if someone throws the pre-built elf binaries my way though.
As long as QEMU master works for OS 9 then that's all we care about right now. QEMU has been in freeze for the past month in preparation for the 2.7 release which is why Ben's more recent work hasn't been reviewed/mainlined yet.

David's ppc-for-2.8 is queued ready for mainline as soon as 2.8 development opens, so making sure that branch works should be the next priority so it can be applied straight away.

BTW a massive thanks to Cat_7 for building experimental packages from David/Ben's branches and everyone here for testing and reporting back - the feedback is invaluable, especially with the cutting edge testing on Ben's branch (mac99p).