Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by adespoton »

You can also mount CDs and DVDs on the fly by dropping into the monitor and mounting/ejecting from there. The monitor window is rather small compared to the help text though, so you may want to read up on qemu monitor commands in your browser.
powerpc_g4
Space Cadet

Post by powerpc_g4 »

Cat_7 wrote:Silly me, here I was assuming you still needed to install

qemu-system-ppc.exe -boot c -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user -drive file=osx.raw,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=name_of_disk_image.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

This will boot from hd and mount both hd and cd.
All -drive entries are mounted once the boot is done.

best,
Cat_7
thanks
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

Here's my 32-bit Qemu-WIP build:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahb1y7XJZN9sizwqdNs-vzGXpwra

the latest commit 4247773, built with Msys2 and optimized for my old IBM laptop(Pentium M or Pentium 4-M class). A processor with SSE2 support is required.

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc -sdl -M mac99 -m 128 -usb -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -sdl -net nic,model=sungem -net user -bios openbios-qemu-wip-13082016-startupfolder.elf -hda E:\Downloads\OS9.dsk -cdrom "E:\Downloads\Mac OS 9.2.2 简体中文版.iso" -boot c
Edit os9.bat and replace -cdrom/-hda path with your own ones.

p.s, the SDL.dll that I use is v1.2.14 from libsdl official site because the original SDL.dll from msys2 or v1.2.15 is buggy.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

What do you mean with resize/streching?

The size of the window can be set by using for example
-g 1024x768x32
or another desired window size.

The yellow openbios window always starts with size 640x480. But you can press ctrl-alt-u to set the initial yellow window to the size you speficied. The same key combination can be used when the OS has already started.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I think he's requesting that the internal aspect ratio be changed by resizing the window, instead of stretching the virtual pixels.

On VirtualBox, this is done via drivers added to the guest OS, and as VirtualBox can't do drivers for Mac OS, it isn't supported. There's even less likelihood of supporting this in a PPC emulator. A project like Mini vMac, Basilisk II, or SheepShaver might be able to do something like this because they all patch the video display already in the emulator -- but qemu aims to be an accurate emulator, and as such, any patching would have to be added as a system extension/kext.
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

Zacchi4k wrote:
Cat_7 wrote:What do you mean with resize/streching?

The size of the window can be set by using for example
-g 1024x768x32
or another desired window size.

The yellow openbios window always starts with size 640x480. But you can press ctrl-alt-u to set the initial yellow window to the size you speficied. The same key combination can be used when the OS has already started.

Best,
Cat_7
Exactly, I used -g 1024x768x32 but the window was still 640x480.
Thanks!
it's SDL.dll's fault. It never resizes automatically. Try to displace it with the SDL.dll v1.2.14
from their official site.
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

KVM does not run on a Windows host.
Also, it needs a POWER or PPC host 'coz KVM uses the virtualization techonology.
mascondante
Space Cadet

Post by mascondante »

Dare I ask if G5 support is possible?

Edit: Apparently I'm way ahead of myself. Just getting 10.4 to work is an issue. Even with -sdl and ctrl+alt+u the mouse is all over the place and no keyboard. I have not set any USB options which should have been the fix according to earlier posts.

Windows 10 using:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe -bios openbios-qemu-wip.elf -sdl -L pc-bios -boot d -m 1024 -M mac99p -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -net user -net nic,model=rtl8139 -drive file=104.bin,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=c:\Qemu\Leopard.img,format=raw,media=disk
Edit2: using the version from http://qemu.weilnetz.de/w32/?C=M;O=A gives feedback as to what's up and I've been able to narrow down some things but unfortunately the latest version is not compiled to support SDL so the mouse is jumpy but everything else seems to work. Perhaps if I can get a successful install I can carry the disk back to this project and continue on.

Edit 3: installation fails at a certain point. Going to carry the disk over to this version and see if I can continue without bugs or stalls.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

Could someone test with OpenGL games are working, for example Quake 3 Demo, Warcraft 3 demo etc?

How stable OS is?
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

What?! OpenGL is supported in QEMU? WTF! :D
powerpcfan
Student Driver

Post by powerpcfan »

I'm running kikyoulinux's QEMU build and formatting the hard disk image freezes it up. I've tried this twice and it froze both times. The ISO I'm using is Mac OS 9.2.1.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You are running windows 10? Please set the qemu program compatibility to windows 7.

Best,
Cat_7
powerpcfan
Student Driver

Post by powerpcfan »

Cat_7 wrote:You are running windows 10? Please set the qemu program compatibility to windows 7.

Best,
Cat_7
I'm running Windows 7 actually, but setting compatibility with windows 7 helps oddly enough.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

Maybe is time to write some guide on main page.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

Hmm, i tried it by myself - 10.4 DVD version, but on Core i7 3770S and Windows 7 64bit.

First boot after instalation took 4,5 minutes its too slow.. I have used qcow2 disk (using only real used space) format instead of raw one, i dont if it could have significant influence on speed.

What is strange that CPU usage for QEMU is small, around 15-25 percent, i looks like pure single threaded app.
I can play Doom - 2016 during beside QEMU.

After first restart, im stuck on keyboard selection wizard, keyboard and mouse are working, i select U.S keyboard click on Continue and nothing is happened.

QEMU endless line:
qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe -bios openbios-qemu-wip.elf -L pc-bios -boot c -g 1280x960x32 -m 1024 -M mac99p -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -net nic,model=sungem -net user -net nic,model=rtl8139 -drive "file=HDD-System10-4.qcow2,media=disk,format=qcow2,index=1,copy-on-read=off" -usb -usbdevice mouse -usbdevice keyboard

I have tried it without usb mouse and keyboard parameters, it was the same? What about G3 parameter, in tutorial is mentioned, but in supplied bat it isnt?

What is better to use openbios-ppc or openbios-qemu-wip.elf for 10.4? Update: i tester openbios-ppc - i dont boot with it, at all, im stuck on initialization of graphics QEMU window, maybe i need to do complete reinstall with this bios?

Update1:
I have reinstalled it with G3, but its same.. Select Your Keyboard, i select U.S click continue a nothing is happened, cursor is still working, i can go back in wizard and return to this screen, but there is still same.

qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe -bios openbios-qemu-wip.elf -L pc-bios -boot c -g 1280x960x32 -m 1024 -M mac99p -cpu G3 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -net nic,model=sungem -net user -net nic,model=rtl8139 -drive "file=HDD-System10-4.qcow2,media=disk,format=qcow2,index=1,copy-on-read=off"

Update2:
It was network thing, when i removed network settings from QEMU start line, i could continue in Wizard.
Can someone pleas check my network parameters? I tried to use what was in tutorial, but maybe i didnt get it right.

With this settings:
-net user -net nic,model=rtl8139
is network quite slow: 100 KB/s, is there some speed up solution?

Update:
TAP networking - is way too much responsible, i think that even boot is now faster
Speed: 450 KB/s - if is not Flash speed test testmy.net measuring it right

Good info, is probably that even G4 would work same way.

Summary:
Its better than PearPC, because of:
- internet is working
- there is not keyboard bug when machine lost the focus
- its not freezing, when i start some apps as Chess
- GPU emulation looks better, is profiler right, 16 MB GPU is emulated

For gaming
- no go, no sound
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

What happens when you start the bat file?

best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

To get qemu to provide a network device to Mac OS, add
-net user -net nic,model=rtl8139
to your command line. For Mac OS 9.0/9.1/9.2 you need to download and install the realtek 8139 network drivers. Some versions of OSX have the driver included in the installation.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Wow I missed the new version compiled for QEMU 2.8! That's awesome! :D Gotta try this out soon! Thx :D

EDIT: Couldn't resist, so I just tried the experimental build with sound support! lol... Am I right to assume (since I don't see it in the vanilla .bat file) that the cache=writethrough flag for hard drive file is no longer needed now? Also, the first sound (the Mac beep) played like 3/4 of it and then 100% silence for the rest of the session, no matter from where I tried to play the sound, so I exited QEMU and relaunched, tried to make a system beep and got like 1/10 of a beep, QEMU hanged for a couple seconds and then 100% silence for the rest of the session :( I also see this in the STDERR: dsound: Could not initialize DirectSoundCapture
dsound: Reason: No sound driver is available for use, or the given GUID is not a valid DirectSound device ID
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Is that in windows or OSX host? And which guest? As said, only Mac OS 9.2 is somewhat functional with sound.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

It's under Windows 7 Pro 64-bits, Mac OS 9.2.2. Got a pretty standard onboard Realtek HD Audio chipset on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard. HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0889&SUBSYS_1458A132&REV_1000

qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe -bios openbios-qemu-screamer.elf -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M mac99 -g 800x600x32 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -sdl -net user -net nic,model=rtl8139 -device virtio-tablet -drive file=./hard_disk.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive "file=E:\Backups\Software\Macintosh\Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install (2002).iso,format=raw,media=cdrom"

BTW, what is the -device virtio-tablet parameter for? Is that even necessary now? Didn't have that in the august version.

ALSO: Could you please add to the guide how to configure the COMMAND key emulation so that Mac OS can be operated more easily? e.g.: COMMAND-W to close a window, etc... cannot be achieved at the moment. What happened to that project 3.5 years ago? https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/q ... 00091.html
I tried, but QEMU does not launch: qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe: -command-key: invalid option
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This screamer stuff should be considered experimental. Beside some audio support there are no additional features. If that command key stuff you mention is not in the main line of source code then perhaps it was abandoned.

About your command line: has it ever worked like you posted it?
You refer to your disk like this: -drive file=./hard_disk.img,format=raw,media=disk
In windows, you should enter the path like you did for the cdrom image.

The -device virtio-tablet was an attempt to use the mouse in tablet mode, so it would not move outside the qemu window and use absolute coordinates. It seems this doesn't really help so you can delete that part of the command line.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Cat_7 wrote:In windows, you should enter the path like you did for the cdrom image.
Relative paths work fine, I've been using them since august 2016 without a problem, given the COMPATIBILITY is set to Windows 7, even when running it from Windows 7! :P
Cat_7 wrote:This screamer stuff should be considered experimental. Beside some audio support there are no additional features.
I fully understand and I was simply reporting that it doesn't work at all on my PC with a pretty standard Realtek Audio HD onboard sound chipset. It plays the very first sound for a fraction of a second followed by a slight static noise, a 1 to 2 second total freeze and then never plays any other sound forever after, until QEMU is quit and relaunched.
Cat_7 wrote:If that command key stuff you mention is not in the main line of source code then perhaps it was abandoned.
Damn, OK but how can one use all the Mac OS shortcuts then? CMD-W to close a window, CMD-i to get file info, CMD-S to save a document, etc...?

Thx! :D
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you're using an SDL build, you can use an SDL key mapping file; I can't recall the specifics, but I think there was discussion somewhere on here about it a year or so back. You can also manually edit the key codes; I was fiddling with that when I was working on the VGA modifications, but can't recall now what I did that worked. It wasn't in the obvious code that you mentioned, but buried elsewhere.
ShadowMyst
Space Cadet

Post by ShadowMyst »

that-ben wrote:
I fully understand and I was simply reporting that it doesn't work at all on my PC with a pretty standard Realtek Audio HD onboard sound chipset. It plays the very first sound for a fraction of a second followed by a slight static noise, a 1 to 2 second total freeze and then never plays any other sound forever after, until QEMU is quit and relaunched.
I get the same error message in stderr, but have different results in Qemu: I don't get the boot chime, but system sounds do work when using either my front headphone port or rear headphone/toslink combo port both powered by Realtek HD. Do you have the most recent drivers installed?

Another "odd man out" for me, I have never needed to run any of the windows builds of Qemu in Windows 7 Compatibility mode.

My system:
Intel NUC6i7KYK "Skull Canyon" running Windows 10 Pro

OS 9.2.1 Guest OS

Edit: Cat_7, your 21 December 2016 windows builds don't include qemu-img and the batch file is missing -L pc-bios.

Additional test results:
OS 9 built in speech voices also work, although choppy. Too small of buffer size?
Under sounds, enabling check sound level for CD sent the level bar to max and slowed down the emulated system to the speed of a snail on Xanax until I unplugged my Apple headphones.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

adespoton wrote:If you're using an SDL build, you can use an SDL key mapping file; I can't recall the specifics, but I think there was discussion somewhere on here about it a year or so back. You can also manually edit the key codes; I was fiddling with that when I was working on the VGA modifications, but can't recall now what I did that worked. It wasn't in the obvious code that you mentioned, but buried elsewhere.
I have no idea how to do that tough... As I mentioned, it should definitely be added to the guide. Without a proper keymap, the COMMAND key is nowhere to be found and it's a source of frustration as it sits right now, compared to SheepShaver, which does emulate that key out of the box.
ShadowMyst wrote:Do you have the most recent drivers installed?
According to the Gigabyte site, yes. But they did not change since 2012 and I built this computer in 2013, so yes, I've got the most recent driver from Gigabyte and probably not the most recent from Realtek altogether, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to take the driver from a different source than the motherboard manufacturer anyway.