Mac OS 8.1+, Linux and Windows ... Simultaneously!

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Mac OS 8.1+, Linux and Windows ... Simultaneously!

Post by Mac Emu »

No, no screenshot yet. I just bought a PowerBook 3400c and plan on running Yellow Dog Linux on it. But I'll use Mac-On-Linux to run some Mac OS (8.1 to 9.1) "at near full speed" in a Window or Full Screen. Then I can run Virtual PC 3.x to run some Windoze variant (probably 95b, but I'll see if 98 or 98se runs at tolerable speeds).

So yes ... all three OSes running at the same time that I can easily switch to.

With a faster Mac, running LinuxPPC, Mac OS X and Windows (XP) is possible.
Pracht
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Pracht »

I have emulated with 1.4 GHz PC

Win98>WinXP>Mac OS 8>Win3.11
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

mw_jon
Student Driver

Post by mw_jon »

BBcode seems to have stopped working. I'll try to figure what the hell is going on.

EDIT: Fixed.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Dammit, I turned that off for a reason.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I wasted about a half hour trying to get the picture to show up before giving up. Wish I would have known BBcode was shut off damnit.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I didn't want anyone goatseing my forum.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Windows 95c (using RealPC emulator) on Mac OS 8.6 (using Mac-On-Linux virtual machine) on Yellow Dog Linux on an Apple PowerBook 3400c. I can surf the web from all three OSes.

Suprizingly speedy, a bit buggy.

I don't notice much difference in speed between using the Mac OS natively and running the Mac OS on MOL. RealPC is a tad slower then running under the Mac OS natively, but still very useable. (RealPC is faster then Virtual PC 3 on my system.)

But various "random" crashes or lockups, usually when running RealPC, makes my current setup too unstable for using RealPC under MOL, at least for now. Any number of factors may be the root of the problem. Perhaps I'll get things "just right" with enough tinkering.

The future: I might try old world MOL booting again with OS 8.1 to free up some memory for Mac applications and see if it's any stabler. And if I have enough space to apt-get the required development packages, I'll eventually CVS SheepShaver (again) and see if I can build a working binary.

rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

I used to have an old Acer laptop with 24MB Ram, running Windows 95, Windows 3.11 and Windows 3.00a - since the Acer didnt use the s3 trio 32/64 chipset I could run windows 3.00a in 386 mode, and vga color.

The laptop had a truly appalling display. Really grainy but looked cool with 16 bit windows.
Slice
Student Driver

Post by Slice »

Neat. :)
Have you tried running Win95 in LinuxPPC using Bochs?

On the topic of multiple layers of emulators, here is my screenshot of Windows for Workgroups running in SoftPC on BasiliskII running on Windows XP:

I tried but was unable to run Basilisk II on Windows 98 under VirtualPC for Windows. I have yet to try running Basilisk II on Windows running under VMware.
Summers
Student Driver

Post by Summers »

That's awesome.

Almost OT: Has anybody tried to emulate also BeOS from Windows?
Then maybe you know any emulator that can do it - I tried with VMware but it didn't boot.
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

Summers wrote:That's awesome.

Almost OT: Has anybody tried to emulate also BeOS from Windows?
Then maybe you know any emulator that can do it - I tried with VMware but it didn't boot.
If you go to BeBits.com you can get BeOS for free that boots in the windows environment.....

>Neospy 8)