Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ShadowMyst
Space Cadet

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by ShadowMyst »

that-ben wrote:
ShadowMyst wrote:Do you have the most recent drivers installed?
According to the Gigabyte site, yes. But they did not change since 2012 and I built this computer in 2013, so yes, I've got the most recent driver from Gigabyte and probably not the most recent from Realtek altogether, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to take the driver from a different source than the motherboard manufacturer anyway.
I suggest trying them anyways. The motherboard manufacturer drivers are customized drivers, but the generic ones from the companies that make the individual components work just as well, sometimes even better depending on the age of the system. I tend to ignore the custom ones as they don't get updated as frequently (or at all).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

ShadowMyst wrote:
that-ben wrote:
ShadowMyst wrote:Do you have the most recent drivers installed?
According to the Gigabyte site, yes. But they did not change since 2012 and I built this computer in 2013, so yes, I've got the most recent driver from Gigabyte and probably not the most recent from Realtek altogether, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to take the driver from a different source than the motherboard manufacturer anyway.
I suggest trying them anyways. The motherboard manufacturer drivers are customized drivers, but the generic ones from the companies that make the individual components work just as well, sometimes even better depending on the age of the system. I tend to ignore the custom ones as they don't get updated as frequently (or at all).
Not to mention, the custom ones are often based off an older build, so older generic ones sometimes have fixes that the custom ones miss.
ShadowMyst
Space Cadet

Post by ShadowMyst »

Newer generic ones, they mean :)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

No, I mean that older generic fixes from the manufacturer often have stuff patched that didn't get to the custom builds for the specific chipset, because the engineers working on the custom chipset were working off of an older fork of the codebase. Happens all the time. So you get optimizations, custom feature support, but that nasty divide by zero bug is no longer fixed.
ShadowMyst
Space Cadet

Post by ShadowMyst »

Much better! Glad to finally be free of the insane mouse.

I do wish that Qemu could read .dsk type images, but otherwise I am quite happy.

Edit: It looks like GTK3 mode has issues with themes. I got several error messages related to them.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It looks like GTK3 mode has issues with themes. I got several error messages related to them.
Yes, I didn't look for a solution as it is not harmful.
GTK isn't really usable anyway because of the mouse problems, which are indeed largely gone with SDL updates. The build from the official source also seems to fix the problem with initialising and installing on an empty disk on Windows 10 ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

cat_7, please, delete your qemu builds, since you got rid of the emptydisk.raw one, os x dp2 is horribly broken and crashes during install, but dp3 up to public beta still works

can you either try and fix this, put the emptydisk.raw build back up, or delete all the builds please
Sorry? This is a forum run by volunteers, just providing some service to the community. Hence I will do no such thing. I also fail to see the logic in your suggestion. As written earlier, you can create your own emptydisk.raw using the updated guides. You can also use the unofficial builds, courtesy of forum members. Read up on the ways to use them.

Cat_7
ShadowMyst
Space Cadet

Post by ShadowMyst »

Cat_7 wrote:
It looks like GTK3 mode has issues with themes. I got several error messages related to them.
Yes, I didn't look for a solution as it is not harmful.
GTK isn't really usable anyway because of the mouse problems, which are indeed largely gone with SDL updates. The build from the official source also seems to fix the problem with initialising and installing on an empty disk on Windows 10 ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Hmmm. Aside from double click speed, I haven't encountered any kind of mouse problem with GTK. Same with the empty disk and Windows 10. I wonder if I've managed to avoid trouble by using an Intel Nuc as my system? Aside from an issue with graphics and sound in Skyrim SE, this little device has been as stable under Windows 10 as any Macintosh system. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that OS X / MacOS doesn't support the soldered on wifi/bt card, it'd be the perfect replacement for a Mac mini.
Cat_7 wrote:
cat_7, please, delete your qemu builds, since you got rid of the emptydisk.raw one, os x dp2 is horribly broken and crashes during install, but dp3 up to public beta still works

can you either try and fix this, put the emptydisk.raw build back up, or delete all the builds please
Sorry? This is a forum run by volunteers, just providing some service to the community. Hence I will do no such thing. I also fail to see the logic in your suggestion. As written earlier, you can create your own emptydisk.raw using the updated guides. You can also use the unofficial builds, courtesy of forum members. Read up on the ways to use them.

Cat_7
They are probably jealous?
ShadowMyst
Space Cadet

Post by ShadowMyst »

Themacthing wrote:cat_7`s builds do not work with os x dp2 anymore, also, he should get rid of openbios-qemu-wip.elf and use openbios-ppc-rtas instead, because qemu is meant to emulate PREP powerpc , not apple powerpc
Since you are referencing the wip elf file, I have to ask: have you even bothered to try cat_7's new build(s)created from the OFFICIAL source files?

As for DP2 not working, okay yes it'd be nice to have all versions supported in Qemu, but since you are obviously not a developer to begin with is there really any point for you to use Developer Preview releases?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Themacthing wrote:
ShadowMyst wrote:
Themacthing wrote:cat_7`s builds do not work with os x dp2 anymore, also, he should get rid of openbios-qemu-wip.elf and use openbios-ppc-rtas instead, because qemu is meant to emulate PREP powerpc , not apple powerpc
Since you are referencing the wip elf file, I have to ask: have you even bothered to try cat_7's new build(s)created from the OFFICIAL source files?

As for DP2 not working, okay yes it'd be nice to have all versions supported in Qemu, but since you are obviously not a developer to begin with is there really any point for you to use Developer Preview releases?

Cat_7 , qemu is horrible for anything other then x86 (which it was originally designed for) , whereas pearpc and sheepshaver were specifically designed to emulate ppc mac, so let's focus on getting those to run all OS X ppc versions
Why not join with the people attempting to get PearPC and SheepShaver functioning smoothly on modern operating systems, while those of us focused on improving qemu-ppc and its support of Apple hardware continue to do that? Qemu-ppc is designed to emulate actual PPC hardware in a generic manner, which carries with it a performance load. It was not designed to run specific operating systems. In this way, qemu as a whole is similar to UME -- there's a framework for emulation, and then you need to build in the components you actually want to emulate.

SheepShaver, by comparison, is a port of some software designed to run one specific set of software on one specific set of hardware -- almost 20 years ago. Parts of it need a complete rewrite to be cleanly compatible with modern operating systems. This is doable, but would probably take long enough using volunteer leadership and help that by the time it was complete, it would once again be dependent on deprecated calls to do what it does, and it would be noticeably slower than it is now.

I'm not quite sure why you are instructing people in a qemu forum to give up on qemu development in the first place, and to stop making work in progress software available to those who don't have the correct compile chain set up.

This is a community of people who selflessly gives of their own time and effort to improve the emulation experience of classic Macs. Some things on here are designed to improve the experience of people who have never used the old systems (providing easy instructions on how to emulate old Mac software); other things on here are technical discussions and proofs of concept for how to improve emulation in the future.

It's unlikely that anyone who reads these forums is going to change their mind on what projects to contribute to without solid technical reasons (as have discussed at length in these forums over the past decade), and this site develops none of the software we discuss here -- therefore telling people to stop contributing is going to be unproductive at best and counterproductive at worst.

We welcome the enthusiasm of everyone who wants to join the community and help out. If you have specific suggestions that could help improve the site or the development discussions hosted here, we'd love to hear them.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Why does OS X dp2 not work in qemu anymore, before cat_7 replaced his builds it worked fine
See PM.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Hi guys! :D

Had some spare time this morning to try out the february 2017 release and read the guide.

The guide looks good now as is except it's still missing clear instructions on how to bind the ALT key to the COMMAND key for Mac OS usage. Other than that, it's complete to get things started :)

But something is broken in this release. I can't run the installation process, where I could install it correctly with the december release. It gives me this error now. I used the QEMU.BAT command line and Windows 7 compatibility is set, as per the instructions.

Thx and keep it up guys :D
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

How strange. Did you change anything at all in your setup? I actually tested the build out a couple weeks ago, and installed 9.2.2 without that error.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

AFAIK, this is an OS 9 related error and also appeared on PowerMacs once in a while. Retrying might work. It did for me a few years ago on SheepShaver and was way more likely to occur with a sparse image HDD image than with a 'regular' one.

At least, that was my experience. I don't know the exact reason for the error.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

ClockWise wrote:How strange. Did you change anything at all in your setup?
What do you mean by "change anything" ? I started over FRESH, used the command line disk image creation tool, booted, initialized the disk and launched the installer... just like the guide stated. I do this on every release :)

I rebooted my computer and tried it all over and now it works. I guess mabam is right, but I don't recall this installer to ever crash on my original blue bondi iMac, but it's not like I attempted that installation procedure more than like 5-6 times in my life, so maybe it's true that it randomly crashes... I don't know, it's just weird to me that it crashes randomly. Anyhow, it worked just now.

The console log still looks like this (consistently even this morning when the installer was crashing, it's ALWAYS showing exactly this, doesn't matter if booting from the CD ISO or from the hard drive IMG)

Trying to write invalid spr 0 (0x000) at 00f113c0
Trying to read invalid spr 0 (0x000) at 00f113c8
Trying to write privileged spr 955 (0x3bb) at 00f168c8
Trying to write invalid spr 959 (0x3bf) at 00f16930
Trying to read invalid spr 959 (0x3bf) at 00f16938
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

that-ben wrote:
ClockWise wrote:How strange. Did you change anything at all in your setup?
What do you mean by "change anything" ? I started over FRESH, used the command line disk image creation tool, booted, initialized the disk and launched the installer... just like the guide stated. I do this on every release :)

I rebooted my computer and tried it all over and now it works. I guess mabam is right, but I don't recall this installer to ever crash on my original blue bondi iMac, but it's not like I attempted that installation procedure more than like 5-6 times in my life, so maybe it's true that it randomly crashes... I don't know, it's just weird to me that it crashes randomly. Anyhow, it worked just now.

The console log still looks like this (consistently even this morning when the installer was crashing, it's ALWAYS showing exactly this, doesn't matter if booting from the CD ISO or from the hard drive IMG)

That's "normal" Qemu output, when booting OS 9.x, doesn't appear when booting OS X.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

darthnvader wrote:

That's "normal" Qemu output, when booting OS 9.x, doesn't appear when booting OS X.
Oh OK, I didn't know that. Thanks.

So, what's the route from now on? Are you guys going to integrate the screamer stuff in the official builds so that we finally get sound output in Mac OS 9.2 or is it not planned in the near future? :D
ezscandi
Space Cadet

Post by ezscandi »

Hi there,

I'm using the build from the official sources to run Mac OS 9.2.2 on Windows 10 64-bit.
The Mac OS installation went smoothly, and so did the installation of the Realtek drivers.

My problem is that I cannot get a network connection with either Slirp or Tap.
My Windows 10 system is on a local network with a DHCP server, but I have no idea if I should use DHCP in Mac OS 9.2.2 or not. If I'm using Tap, I'm bridging the Tap adapter with my physical NIC. Is that correct? And how about the IP addresses?
Can anyone point me to a detailed setup guide for networking?
Just knowing how the network setup is supposed to work would be a great help.

Also, what is the easiest way to exchange files with the host O/S (Windows 10)?

Any help is much appreciated!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Slirp networking is the easiest. If you use it, Qemu provides a DHCP server to the guest (your Mac OS 9.2).
It is enabled when you add -net user -net nic,model=rtl8139 to your command line.

In Mac OS you need to set the tcp/ip control panel to use DHCP. It will get an IP address in the 10.0.x.x. range.
You can then run e.g., Classilla as web browser. You will need to download that browser using Internet Explorer. Check the info on the classilla site on how to download using the gopher service, as IE will not download it from the direct link.

Getting files in and out of Mac OS in Qemu is a different story:
-you can email stuff to yourself and pick it up on the other side, using webmail through Classilla.
-you can add stuff to a disk image and mount it through the command line (much as you booted and installed from CD image). It not possible to write to the image from inside Mac OS. It has not been tested which CD image formats Qemu can successfully read.
-you can use SheepShaver to copy stuff onto the disk image you use to boot Mac OS with Qemu. (But it is better to use a second hard disk image file for that.) And make sure you never have a disk image in use in both Qemu and SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
ezscandi
Space Cadet

Post by ezscandi »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I probably had functioning networking already, but the error messages from IE5 led me to believe that something was broken (I should have tried google.com earlier).

I was unable to download Classilla with IE5, so I tried boot strapping via iCab (which I *was* able to download). Unfortunately iCab also had Classilla download issues, so I ended up using an ISO file instead (just like the Realtek drivers).

Classilla is indeed doing a good job with modern web pages, and most importantly it allows me to share files with the outside world.

Thanks again!
KrondaliX
Space Cadet

Post by KrondaliX »

Hiiii,

I've tested all builds. So my questions:

1: the sound support build not playing sounds ? Is there a bat command to add for it to works ?
2: The Ethernet support build is it working with wifi adapter ? (i'm from laptop). And too for ethernet is there a bat command to add for internet to work ?
EDIT: 3: For resolutions switching in wip build, i cannot see any of possible resolutions in "control panels -> Monitors"

Thank you in advance !
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

OMG... This may 19th build is really awesome. Who's the god that binded the COMMAND key? You sir, deserve to win a handful of internets! AT LAST I can COMMAND-W to close a window and wow, that makes such a difference in usability! All these native resolutions and live resolution switching? HECK YES! :D Keep it up, that's just insanely awesome!

Also, this new build seems more stable, whereas before I had very random read/write errors while installing Mac OS 9.2.2 and now it goes without a hitch and only takes 4 minutes to install.

We need:
1) Better sound support.
2) Faster emulation speed, altough it seems to be faster than the previous build if I'm not mistaken.
3) "MY COMPUTER" network drive of some sort to easily import/export files with the host system, altough this is just a luxury feature.

Keep it up :)

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

1: the sound support build not playing sounds ? Is there a bat command to add for it to works ?
2: The Ethernet support build is it working with wifi adapter ? (i'm from laptop). And too for ethernet is there a bat command to add for internet to work ?
EDIT: 3: For resolutions switching in wip build, i cannot see any of possible resolutions in "control panels -> Monitors"
What is your host system? And what is the command line you use to run qemu?

1 -Sound support is experimental, and only works reasonably well when you emulate Mac OS 9.2. Even then, sound is problematic as it sometimes hangs Qemu or suddenly stops displaying the desktop icons ;-) There is no need for an additional command line argument, it should work with your default sound device.

2 -Network support needs a command line argument to provide the guest with a network adapter. The experimental wip build can use a device called sungem. You need to add -net nic,model=sungem -net user to your command line and set your guest to request an IP address through DHCP.
If you want to use networking with the later builds, you need to add -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user to you command line. Please note that you then also need to install the realtek drivers in most guests.

3 -That seems strange. Are you sure you are not mixing files from various builds?

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Cat_7 wrote: 1 -Sound support is experimental, and only works reasonably well when you emulate Mac OS 9.2. Even then, sound is problematic as it sometimes hangs Qemu or suddenly stops displaying the desktop icons ;-) There is no need for an additional command line argument, it should work with your default sound device.
May I ask which exactly OS version/image/download you are using? I can't get any sound under 9.2.
Missing sound and 256 colors are two thing stopping me from using qemu from obvious reasons (games).
Is any chance to get those any time soon?

Thanks you for amazing work here.

Kind Regards
Thom
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

For windows this one:
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/wi ... 122016.zip
with mac os 9.2 as guest.
But it doesn't support 256 colours nor resolution switching.

Best,
Cat_7