Playing Games on Chubby Bunny

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ty_zeta
Space Cadet

Playing Games on Chubby Bunny

Post by ty_zeta »

Hello, I apologize if I seem too uneducated and of an annoyance. I am using an iMac running on 10.12.3 and I am trying to play two games (Wishbone Odyssey and Disney's Mathquest). I at first tried using Sheepshaver and seemed to set it up propperly and even had the games "installed" but the games would not run. This is where I start to sound even more stupid, I tried installing the games as a disk image(?), the thing where you set aside memory specifically for a drive. I became even more lost and clueless so I deleted everything and downloaded Chubby Bunny. Now I'm still lost on where the shared folder is to transport files between OS X and OS9 and then how to make the files on OS9 readable and make them run via Chubby Bunny's preset figures. As you can tell, I'm very new to all of this and unfamiliar with the technical terms. I'm not looking for anything too technical, as my main concern is to just play the games. I apologize again for my obliviousness. This is my first time posting. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Playing Games on Chubby Bunny

Post by 24bit »

From my side, it would be best to start with SheepShaver again.
Please download the app and the Preferences Editor from Ronald´s repository:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 140201.zip
http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... rPrefs.zip
You may use the boot drive below and the Old WorldROM or the prebuilt OS 9 image from GS12´s site.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators
With 10.12, SheepShaver has to be started once with the app copied to your desktop.
As SheepShaver is up and running, please install a fresh copy of the MacOS of your choice onto an empty Mac disk image.
Here are some: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators
Note that games have be installed on the emulators "hard disk" to work as desired.

Please do read the setup guide for SheepShaver again.
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
You only have to go to through the setup once, afterwards you may play all compatible games. ;)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Note that before you start again setting up SheepShaver, you best delete the existing prefs and nvram files that were created by Chubby Bunny using the scripts that are included in the SheepShaver download. You then do not need the stand-alone Preferences editor and you can follow the instructions in the setup guide.

When you have set up SheepShaver again, ask about how to get the games running in SheepShaver. I tried Wishbone Odyssey, it is easy.
ty_zeta
Space Cadet

Post by ty_zeta »

I've installed Sheepshaver again and I believe I deleted everything from Chubby Bunny as well. I'm a bit of a visual learner so I watched and copied a video (this is the same one I watched last time to set up Sheepshaver) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQAf7GII9NY I'm not sure on the quality of the video but it is at least something. I also followed along with the text from this website as well. I basically have the same set up as the video. Is there something wrong with the OS from the video? I'm not sure how to create/find the shared folder to put stuff from OS X to OS9/Unix folder and copy the games from there. I also have the physical CDs of the games as well as downloaded ROMs from the internet and they are .iso files. Thank you for the quick response!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I watched the video to see what you did. There are some issues with the setup in the video, but nothing that can't be corrected. There are more, but the two changes you may want to make are these:

- The setup in the video uses all of your macOS 10.12 drive as shared folder. Better change that. Create a folder with an appropriate name (e.g., SheepShared) in a convenient location. Start SheepShaver, open its Preferences, and at the item "Unix Root" browse to that folder and click Open. Save the setting and quit SheepShaver. When you launch SheepShaver again, the Unix volume on the SheepShaver desktop will refer to your shared folder.

- In the video, sound was not enabled. You will want sound when playing the games.
Start SheepShaver. In the Apple menu in SheepShaver choose Control panels > Sound. In the Sound control panel select (click on it) at the left 'Output' and then at the right side select (click on it) Built-in. Close the control panel. Sound should now work.

Now, for these particular games, you do not use the Unix volume/shared folder to move the games. You will need to mount the .iso disk images in SheepShaver. You can do that exactly the same way you added the MacOS installation .iso:
Start SheepShaver, open its Preferences, use the Add button to add the game's .iso file to the volumes list. The next time you launch SheepShaver, the disk will appear on the desktop. Open it and use the installer to install the game onto your Mac OS 9 HD. Do not use the included QuickTime "Mac Extensions" (OS9 already has a later version). You may get an error at the end of the installation, but when you launch the game from where it is installed, it will run fine.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
ty_zeta
Space Cadet

Post by ty_zeta »

Thank you! The Unix/shared folder now makes sense! I got that and the sound working! I got the game up and running but now part of the screen is black and unplayable. Only certain parts of the game's screen shows and the parts that are displayed are things that are animated in the background. Everything else is in black. I'm not sure how to post a photo from my desktop on this site to show you.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which game is it? I tried Wishbone Odyssey and it starts with most of the screen black. Clicking on the graphics that are visible gives spoken reactions that are not very helpful. I do not know how it should look, but isn't it supposed to be like that? Somewhere in the black is a spot where a white right arrow appears when you hover over it. Click on that arrow and you come to what seems to me the start of the game.
ty_zeta
Space Cadet

Post by ty_zeta »

It's the Wishbone Odyssey Game. When booting up, the opening logos look glitchy/spliced. When you get to the first screen of the game (Odysseus overlooking the city of Troy burning), only the animated smoke is shown and Odysseus/Wishbone is shown with the rest of the entire screen is black. This is what it's supposed to look like:

http://www.myabandonware.com/media/scre ... ssey_2.jpg

The black is covering up everything, the boat, the ground, etc.

I booted it up a second time and oddly enough, the game worked (the game screen was visible), but all of the scenes that involved quicktime movies did not work. It was a white screen and the sound still played.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Maybe it is a problem with the newer QuickTime and you will need to downgrade to an earlier version. That cannot be done by simply installing an earlier version. I am very busy the next three or so days, but I will come back to explain, maybe after trying myself if downgrading QuickTime will solve the issue.
ty_zeta
Space Cadet

Post by ty_zeta »

There's no rush and take your time, but thank you so much what you have done so far what you have done Ronald! You have done for me what I couldn't even begun to do! I've managed to work and play a few other games so far! Thank you!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I got Wishbone Odyssey to be displayed correctly (with a few glitches), including the introduction movie that was skipped before, after removing all existing QT related files, installing QT 2.5 from the Wishbone CD-image AND after disabling JIT compiler for SheepShaver. This may, however, cause problems for other (newer) games. The game may run better in BasiliskII. Or a separate .sheepvm virtual machine could be created for this, and similar, games. I will report back later.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

On System 7.5.3/7.5.5 in BasiliskII, I could not make the game run at all, regardless the installed QuickTime version. The introduction runs promising, but as soon as the game itself starts, a mouse click anywhere on the screen causes the game to crash. Maybe it will work on Mini vMac.