Bad Panther CD image?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Slice
Student Driver

Bad Panther CD image?

Post by Slice »

I have been trying in vain to get PearPC working for days.

No matter what I do, whenever I try to boot from my Panther CD image I get this error:

Code: Select all

[IO/PROM] <Error> can't open boot file
The full text of the log is as follows:

Code: Select all

[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 = 0x00300003
[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 accepted
[CPU/MMU] number of pages: 2^15 pagetable_start: 0x00300000 size: 2^18
HFS+ has no backup volume header. skipping...
HFS+ has no backup volume header. skipping...
[IO/PROM] <Error> can't open boot file
This is with prom_bootmethod in the config file set to select. I get the error about being unable to open the boot file when I choose to boot from Panther CD1. The CD does show up in the list of detected bootable volumes. If I set prom_bootmethod to auto, then I will get the aforementioned error on startup before PearPC's GUI (where you select the volume to boot from) even appears, and will be dropped back to the command prompt.

I am now beginning to suspect that my Panther CD image is bad.

My Mac OS X Install Disc 1.toast is 673,783,808 bytes in size.
Does anyone have a CD image of the same size?
I asked some people in #pearpc on freenode and they said their CD image of the same name was a different size.

Thank you for any help.
SikSavant

Post by SikSavant »

I think that the number one problem with getting started is having a good OSX (Panther) image. I too thought I had a good image since PearPC could see a bootable partition, but alas, it was junk. I don't want to mislead folks into thinking there is only One Right Way to make this image, but it seems that anybody that uses Alcohol 127% gets a viable ISO image. Since you can download a 30-day trial for free, it's worth testing out, and at least ruling-out the quality of your install image as the problem.
SikSavant

Post by SikSavant »

I should have mentioned that my Panther Image for Disk 1 is 678,424,576 bytes in size; just so you have another data point.
Slice
Student Driver

Post by Slice »

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems more certain now that my Panther CD image is indeed bad. :(
Unfortunately I don't have the original Panther CDs so creating my own image is not an option.

Post by Guest »

Well just to show how much an image can be bad and still partially work, I have have panther DVD. It's 4.08 gig but for somereason I ripped it in nero because alcohol won't let me make an iso and it's only 87 meg!?!?!? But it still boots and will show the apple logo but then I get the looping exception: JITC Warning, program exception: 00080000 00000000

So it might work a little but if you don't have a good image you will get strange errors.

Now does anyone know how I can make a real iso image of the DVD? And will it work?
thimic

Post by thimic »

I just got my non-working images to work :) What I did was to burn the images with nero and then make new ones from the CD I burned with Alcohol 120%. I am looking at the Panther installscreen for the first time right now :)
Slice
Student Driver

Post by Slice »

I tried that without any success. :(
ShadowFox
Tinkerer

Post by ShadowFox »

I actually used DMGs created by OSX on a real mac. I used DiskCopy in OSX on my blue & white G3 to create a DMG of my Jaguar installation CDs, then burned them to a CD using toast. I setup PearPC to read the .dmg off of the CD, and it worked perfectly.

Food for thought.