Another SheepShaver Sierra OS Problem

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Letmegetitin69
Space Cadet

Another SheepShaver Sierra OS Problem

Post by Letmegetitin69 »

Hey, I followed the instructions to a T :
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
and I also noted the compatibility issue with SierraOS:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7360

The problem is that SheepShaver quits as soon as it launches as in this case:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=9285

I have properly named everything in the folder (as in I name the .rom file "Mac OS ROM")

What am I missing here ?
I feel like the "compatibility notes" are not very clear (maybe Im just a little delirious). I copied the contents of the SheepShaver folder to the desktop, deleted the ones inside the folder (old now) and then dragged the new ones (from the desktop that I had copied) back into the SheepShaver folder, yet I am still running into the issue of it quitting as soon as it launches.

What did I do wrong?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Another SheepShaver Sierra OS Problem

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Letmegetitin69 wrote:I have properly named everything in the folder (as in I name the .rom file "Mac OS ROM")
Did you make sure the .rom extension is removed and not just hidden? You can check this in Finder Info panel for the file.
Letmegetitin69
Space Cadet

Post by Letmegetitin69 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Letmegetitin69 wrote:I have properly named everything in the folder (as in I name the .rom file "Mac OS ROM")
Did you make sure the .rom extension is removed and not just hidden? You can check this in Finder Info panel for the file.

Hello, thank you for the reply.
Yes, I made sure the .rom extension is removed. It is not hidden as I made sure to have Finder Preferences show all filename extensions. There is no extension associated. I do not know what the problem could possibly be.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Letmegetitin69 wrote:It is not hidden as I made sure to have Finder Preferences show all filename extensions.
Even with that setting, filename extensions can be hidden on a per file basis. Please check in Finder Info: In the Finder, select the file and hit command-I. If the extension is still present, you can edit the file name and remove the extension there.
TheSebWho
Space Cadet

Post by TheSebWho »

Hi Roland, I too am having the same issue as the other person in this thread. I downloaded Sheepshaver yesterday and it was working perfectly but all of a sudden it stopped so I deleted everything and redownloaded everything thinking that would be the easiest fix (I'm not that competent with these sorts of thing) and now SheepShaver will not recognize the rom and yes I've made sure that it matches word for word and has no extension.

I think it's because the path to the rom is not working but I'm not an expert whatsoever so any help is good help

I'm using Yosemite also.

Thanks
TheSebWho
Space Cadet

Post by TheSebWho »

Apologies Ronald, for spelling your name wrong my bad, I didn't have my glasses on
Letmegetitin69
Space Cadet

Post by Letmegetitin69 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Letmegetitin69 wrote:It is not hidden as I made sure to have Finder Preferences show all filename extensions.
Even with that setting, filename extensions can be hidden on a per file basis. Please check in Finder Info: In the Finder, select the file and hit command-I. If the extension is still present, you can edit the file name and remove the extension there.
I did double check to make sure there is no hidden extension with command-I, there is no extension shown there, just "Mac OS ROM" (without the quotations in the name & extension area).
TheSebWho wrote:...I'm using Yosemite also.
I am using Sierra. I do believe this is a Sierra problem is it not ? (According to the "compatibility notes": http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7360)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Letmegetitin69 wrote:I am using Sierra. I do believe this is a Sierra problem is it not ? (According to the "compatibility notes": http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7360)
The described problem with Sierra only occurs with a new installation and can be solved using the workaround. Only the SheepShaver application itself needs to be copied out of its folder and the original then replaced with the copy. Otherwise, SheepShaver runs fine in Sierra, albeit only when set to run in 32-bit mode which is the default for a new installation.

If the workaround does not work for you, your issue may be a different one. Is the ROM file together with the SheepShaver application in the same folder? Which ROM file did you use (where did you get it)?
Letmegetitin69
Space Cadet

Post by Letmegetitin69 »

I got it to work !!

Thank you,
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:...Only the SheepShaver application itself needs to be copied out of its folder and the original then replaced with the copy...
I was messing up the way I was doing this... I feel dumb.

Thank you again.