Sheepshaver and IPX ?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

loic
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver and IPX ?

Post by loic »

Hello,

I've installed SS version 2.4.20140201 with OS 9.0 and I would like to know if IPX is working. When I open the IPX Control Panel (1.3), it displays (with Ethernet interface) :
Network Number : N/A (driver not opened)
Node Number : N/A (driver not opened).

TCP/IP is working well.
Physical box is MacOS X 10.10.5.

Thanks in advance !

Loïc
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Sheepshaver and IPX ?

Post by adespoton »

I believe in order to get IPX working, you need to use tun/tap networking, as covered on here in the Sheepshaver wiki pages.
loic
Space Cadet

Post by loic »

Thanks for your quick answer.
I found this page with tun/tap : http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... heepshaver, but it's about Appletalk, not IPX.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, the page is about Appletalk, but the tap device basically allows all network traffic. The slirp connection is limited.

Best,
Cat_7
loic
Space Cadet

Post by loic »

OK, thanks for the information. I'll have a try.
loic
Space Cadet

Post by loic »

Good evening.

I managed to install tun/tap. I'm using OS 10.10 which has a bridge capability so it seems that I don't need IPNetrouterX.
But even before trying bridging, when I launch Sheepshaver under root (sudo), it doesn't open and I get a 137 return code (aka signal 9 / Killed).
Under normal user, it works but the tap0 device is of course not created.

I've reverted to the slirp device, but the 137 error is still there under root.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You could try deleting your nvram file; that might solve the issue for both slirp and tun/tap. If that doesn't work, I'll have to leave it to someone else to figure out.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Well, if you cannot run SheepShaver inside the bundle as root (which also is the case in Sierra), you cannot currently get the tap device to run.

At least Qemu has the ability to run a script to get the tap device up before starting qemu, I haven't been able to do the same with SheepShaver. As it contains the code to activate the tap device in itself, it seems it doesn't recognise the device as started from the outside.

Best
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

On second thoughts:

I changed the rights to /dev/tap0 and can now run SheepShaver with tap networking without running as root. This is the command I used:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 0666 /dev/tap0
Please report back whether this solution works for you. If so, I can fix our guides ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
loic
Space Cadet

Post by loic »

Hello,

What an idiot I am, chmod o+rw /dev/tap0 was an obvious solution, thanks !
Now I can start Sheepshaver without being root and tap0 gets created.
I had to remove an unused en1 device from bridge0 and add en2 (Ethernet) and tap0.

Now Internet works within SheepShaver.

Some comments :
- I don't need to put an adresse on tap0, just add the device to the bridge once SheepSaver launched
- MacOS X and SheepSaver can't ping each other
- SheepSaver can ping the router and the router sees SheepSaver (displayed on the router's web interface)
- trying from SheepSaver to reach the router's web interface makes Mozilla 1.3.1 freeze, but this comes probably from the browser)

Going then back to IPX, I still see "N/A (driver not opened)". I've started MacOS 9 with the IPX Control Panel and both Extensions. I even tried with absolutely all Control Panels and Extensions started, but still not working.
Last edited by loic on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That's odd... you should have full access to the OpenTransport IP stack with tun/tap installed and functional.

Maybe something needs to be adjusted on the Open Transport side of things to get IPX functioning? That is, the OpenTransport IPX plugin isn't loaded?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I found this on the macintosh garden:
"This is normal operation for MacIPX v1.3, which ships with the NetWare Client for Mac OS 5.1x. The "driver not opened" message means the driver is loaded in memory but is not active, it does not have an IPX network number yet and is not sending or receiving any packets. The driver will open when the first application using MacIPX specifically opens the driver. For example, when the user launches the NetWare Directory Browser, MacIPX will initialize and establish itself on the IPX network.
http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/appletalk

Best,
Cat_7
loic
Space Cadet

Post by loic »

Good evening and thanks again for your answers.

In fact, I want to use IPX for Command & Conquer (Tiberian dawn) local game. The game manual states that if the Network Game menu is missing (which is my case), then the IPX stack is not detected.
I don't have any knowledge in IPX and no software to test like NetWare Directory Browser.
So perhaps the reason is that for the moment I didn't install Sheepshaver (with IPX) on my second computer ?

A last test : in IPX Control Panel, by clicking on the Ethernet interface, you can select the frame type. C&C recommends 802.2, which I did. But a soon as I choose a frame type (any), a popup tells "Opening the network driver. One moment, please.". And nothing happens, Sheepshaver stops responding (the clock in the menu bar doesn't refresh), the mouse-style cursor simply waits forever.

Maybe tap0 needs an additonal option ?

Loïc
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Doesn't IPX require a Novell Netware server attached to the network? IPX isn't like TCP/IP... the system is server-driven instead of set up in a client/gateway setup where any client can also be a gateway.
loic
Space Cadet

Post by loic »

Hello,

I don't think a Novell server is needed. The C&C game needs IPX, but not a Novell infrastructure.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ah; after reviewing the specs again, I see that IPX can indeed be used in end-to-end communication, not just in Netware's server-driven mode. But I have no idea how you'd load the driver in this case, as both sides would be waiting for the other to open the connection triggering a driver load.
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

MacIPX doesn't work with the official SheepShaver build. It requires patched drivers made by Masaq':

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8672

I never got around to trying this myself, however.
loic
Space Cadet

Post by loic »

Hello,

This is interesting, but I don't have any Mac compiler. So there is not solution for me ?