Help wanted for Russian MacOS, please.

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

24bit
Forum All-Star

Help wanted for Russian MacOS, please.

Post by 24bit »

Recently I was looking around for RS flavours usable for Basilisk II or SheepShaver for a friend.
RS-7.6.1 is a perfect one: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-761-russian
i also found RS-7.5.3 on the Mac Anthology `99 and RS-8.1 on the net.
Both versions are here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-rs-81-russian

My issue is that both installers refuse to complete their task on my side and I´m unable to figure out what goes wrong, as my Russian is non-existent.
Can someone lend a hand eventually to figure out why both installers fail?
if other better sources are available, they were preferable presumably.
dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Help wanted for Russian MacOS, please.

Post by dadreamer »

I might try to test it but that site says that its IP's banned. :shock:
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Argh, too bad. Lots of malware attacks from your IP range, it seems.
Please send your IP via PM, maybe an admin at Macintoshgarden will unblock your IP.
dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dadreamer »

Well, this is strange. I have a dynamic IP from my ISP. But I checked it with anonymizers too and some of them are also banned. It looks like this mac garden tries to protect itself from some attacks or something else maybe.

I'll test this image tomorrow and report how it goes.
dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dadreamer »

Got my hands on it today. First, tried Mac_OS_7.6.1_Rus.toast_.bin in SheepShaver but unfortunately it doesn't boot for some reason. SS just shows a question mark on boot and that's all. I assume that this toast image should be added to the volumes in SS preferences and it should appear when the system starts. Well, tried both new and old world ROMs going together with SS and nothing. Maybe there would be more luck with BII (gonna try this later).
Second, checked out OS75-RS.dsk_.zip from Mac Garden. I unzipped it and added OS75-RS.dsk to the volumes in SS prefs. It has booted just fine. Then I launched Disk Copy (v6.3.3) tool from that image and mounted all the files from RS-Install Images folder. After that I started the launcher from the Disk 1, selected my hard drive to install onto and fired up the process. It was doing its work for a half of a minute or so and at some moment said that it needs one more disk.

Actually it asked for "Additions" / "Add-ons" or something like that ("Дополнения" in Russian). But there is no such disk in that image.

So, if it would be added somehow, the installation would go further I think.

upd:
Had a test of Mac_OS_7.6.1_Rus.toast_.bin in BII and the same thing's there (no boot).
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks for caring dadreamer!
The 7.6.1 bin has to be expanded, The Unarchiver on the Mac, 7Zip on PCs I guess.
When done it boots fine.

For 7.5.3: I was assuming that some floppy was "missing".
Can you figure out which floppy from the stack remains unused?
My guess is, that Apple messed with the floppy names and forgot to fix the installer routine.

8.1 has a similar quirk. No idea how to proceed there.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver boots fine from the 7.6.1 toast image from Macintosh Garden. Note that SheepShaver needs an old world rom for 7.6.1.

The installer worked fine here. Not knowing Russian, I needed to guess each time what to do next. I just continued until there was nothing more to install. Finally, SheepShaver booted fine from the installed system.
dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dadreamer »

24bit wrote:Can you figure out which floppy from the stack remains unused?
I've mounted all the floppys from the image (13 IDs + 1 Disk Tools) as you could see on my 2nd screenshot. Or you mean that I'd find out which floppy's needed by looking at "normal" 7.5.3 installer and pulling out that package from there?
24bit wrote:The 7.6.1 bin has to be expanded, The Unarchiver on the Mac, 7Zip on PCs I guess.
I'm on Windows and it appears that 7-Zip doesn't read that .bin archive. But on virtual Mac OS X I was able to unpack it and get .toast file. Then it booted fine.

So, the installation went okay. I received the same result as Ronald P. Regensburg. Ticked all boxes in the settings to get all the software installed. No errors at all:

As I'm from Russia I might find this system useful. The translation is almost accurate. Somewhere I see little typos and not entirely appropriate synonyms. But the rest is OK.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks for looking into the issue, comrades!
Good to know that you may benefit from RS-7.6.1 somehow, dadreamer.

IIRC the 7.5.3 suite was usually on 13+1 floppies, so I thought there may be a name confusion with one or more of the floppy images stopping the installer. Say the installer wants the floppy image "Installation 8" but the floppy image is named "Install_8" by mistake.

Did you find the time to check the 8.1 beast too?
dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dadreamer »

24bit wrote:Did you find the time to check the 8.1 beast too?
Tried to install it from under running System 7.6.1 as it doesn't boot from that .img. So both installers in that image say that user should insert disk "Mac OS 8".

This is odd because there's a folder named "Mac OS 8" in the image. I launched the installer there but it says the same.

I can assume that some files or disks are missing. Or their names are changed somehow and that's why the installation doesn't go on.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You can copy the entire install folder to another disk, and if you launch the installer from there, it should find all the folders if they're in the same location as the installer application. Otherwise, you could try making disk images out of each of the folders and mounting them, and that should work as well.
dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dadreamer »

adespoton wrote:You can copy the entire install folder to another disk, and if you launch the installer from there, it should find all the folders if they're in the same location as the installer application.
That doesn't work for some reason. Tried to copy the whole CD content and "Mac OS 8" folder only, launching different installers (there are three) - it still asks for some "Mac OS 8" disk to be inserted. I think this image really lacks some files/folders. Perhaps it could be fixed by inserting those missing packages into the image, but I'm not going to figure out now which of them are needed.
adespoton wrote:Otherwise, you could try making disk images out of each of the folders and mounting them, and that should work as well.
Didn't tried it 'cause don't know how to convert single folder into image under sys 7.6.1. :cool:
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

dadreamer wrote:
adespoton wrote:Otherwise, you could try making disk images out of each of the folders and mounting them, and that should work as well.
Didn't tried it 'cause don't know how to convert single folder into image under sys 7.6.1. :cool:
Use DiskCopy 6.0:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-copy-v64
dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dadreamer »

mabam, thanks for the hint. But sadly it doesn't work also. The popup now says that the disk is incorrect. I guess there must be System 8 Russian installed and after that it's possible to update it to 8.1. So to make this CD complete one should find RS-8.0 and insert into the image.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks again, fellows for spending your time looking into this.
Guess we may conclude, that the 8.1 installer is an update for 8.0 only.
The file size does indicate that too.
For 7.5.3, though it would be nice to have, 7.6.1 is superior by far.

I found RS-7.0.1 at the Internet Archive and added it to the page at MG.
Too bad the 7.5.3 full install seems to be missing in the IA, updaters are there.
http://ia800501.us.archive.org/zipview. ... 012.11.zip
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I have a few other sites that may have the missing discs; I'll have a look the next time I get a chance.

Does the International 7.5.3 Install CD have the RS installer on it?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I seem to recall that the Intl. 7.5.3 is a Z- release with some additional keyboard layouts maybe.
A few archives for download.info.apple.com were set up, but I can´t remember them right now.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yes, I've got a copy of the international Z release, but wasn't sure if it contained the RS assets -- I seem to recall those usually being separate, as were the JP and CN ones, while International was usually limited to Europe and S. America.