connect to internet with Sheepshaver for Mac?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

etkins
Inquisitive Elf

connect to internet with Sheepshaver for Mac?

Post by etkins »

I am not able to connect to the internet with Sheepshaver on my Mac. I was wondering if it is possible, and if so, how to setup/configure.
I am a total noob to most of this, and need explicit instructins. I gather that some part of the fix might be the TCP/IP thing, but that is all I know.
My Mac is running OS 10.9.5, and I have it connected via an ethernet cable.
Any help is much appreciated.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: connect to internet with Sheepshaver for Mac?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Start SheepShaver and open the preferences editor. Go to the Miscellaneous tab. Make sure you have entered "slirp" (without quotes) in the field Internet Interface, and save the settings. Only restart SheepShaver if "slirp" was not already entered in that field.

Then go to the tcp/ip control panel and check that you have selected "DHCP" in the drop down list at the Configure option. Close and save the settings.

Restart SheepShaver and open an internet browser. You should now have internet access. The included browsers are very buggy. It is best to download Classilla on your host and install it in SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Post by etkins »

Thank you for your help, it worked perfectly. I am now able to connect to the internet with Sheepshaver.
When trying to get to a file on my Google drive, and my Gmail, it says 'Security Failure, a secure connection could not be established'.
When I tried to download the Classilla installer, it said 'Security Failure, the server reply is invalid'.
What to do about both of these? Also, another potential problem I could foresee, when I was looking at the Classilla installer, it said it was a stuffit file. Is there an extractor already in OS 9?
Then I downloaded the .sit file for Classilla, and the .dmg for stuffit expander, but I had to do both outside of Sheepshaver, so in my regular 10.9 workspace.
I don't know how I would get the Classilla into Sheepshaver and OS 9, assuming that is what we need to do.
Sorry for so many questions. Again, I am new and I appreciate your help, it has worked so far.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you've got a full install of OS 9, it comes with Stuffit Expander by default. If you have the stripped down Redundant Robot image, you're going to be missing a bunch of stuff. Best idea is to create a blank disk image and use an installer image to install a full version of OS 9.04 on it.

As for getting Classilla in there, download it on your host and put it in your shared folder, then inside SheepShaver, open the Unix folder and copy the stuffit file to the local HD. From there, use Stuffit Expander to expand it and put Classilla in your Applications folder.

However, I'm not sure how up to date Classilla is right now; many servers (including all Google products) are moving to requiring a recent secure version of HTTPS be used for anything requiring an account. A few months ago there was a major security flaw found and patched in HTTPS, and so most sites no longer support older versions of the protocol. If Classilla hasn't been updated, it may no longer be able to connect to services like Google Drive.
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Post by etkins »

I do have a full install of OS9, done with my CD.
I got that .sit file in through the shared folder as you said, and also as you said, there was an expander in OS 9
It extracted the pieces of Classilla, but trying to run it now I cannot. It says not enough memory.
I did a Get Info>Memory on it and the suggested is 82070. Minimum is around 16K, maximum is again that 82 number.
Any help in getting Classilla to run is appreciated.
In the meantime, now I can get files in and out using the shared folder as you suggested, many thanks for that tip.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Where does the copy of Classilla reside inside SheepShaver?
The not enough memory warning will be seen when you try to run an application that exists on the 'Unix' volume (shared folder) or on the desktop of that volume (in classic MacOS each volume has its own desktop and the the Desktop you see is the combined desktops of all mounted volumes). Make sure the application is copied to the another volume, like the system volume.
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Post by etkins »

Yes, it's on the desktop. I pulled the .sit file in from the Unix shared folder and put it on the desktop, then extracted it there. It placed the folder there.
How do I copy the application to the system volume?
Thank you for your help.
Also, any idea of how to remove the security failures I was getting in Internet Explorer 4.5? It would open Google, and a news site, but most sites said it was experiencing a security failure.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

"On the Desktop" means you've stuck it in the Desktop folder on the Unix volume. You'll have to actually copy it to an internal volume to make it work. I recommend putting it in the Applications folder.

You can't remove the security failures in IE 4.5 -- it was developed so long ago that it is insecure by modern standards. It is not safe to use for encrypted data.
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Post by etkins »

Got it! That worked, thank you for your help again.
petebocken
Space Cadet

Post by petebocken »

Fired up SheepShaver this morning and can no longer connect to the Internet either. I added slirp to the Ethernet Interface field cause it wasn't there anymore for some reason. If I leave it at DHCP, it gives me a self-assigned IP. If I manually enter an IP on my network, I still cannot connect to anything.

SheepShaver 2.4.20140201
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

petebocken wrote:If I manually enter an IP on my network, I still cannot connect to anything.
It will not work with IP addresses on your network. Slirp networking uses its own virtual router.

1. Make sure slirp networking is enabled. In SheepShaver Preferences > Miscellaneous > Ethernet Interface: slirp.
After saving the setting, quit SheepShaver and launch it again.

2. In MacOS 9, TCP/IP control panel should be set to Ethernet and DHCP. As soon as you start using IP network access, for instance with a web-browser, the IP addresses for slirp will become visible in the control panel.

3. If 2. does not work, you can try setting TCP/IP control panel manually for slirp:
IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name-server address: 10.0.2.3
petebocken
Space Cadet

Post by petebocken »

Thanks! This worked.

3. If 2. does not work, you can try setting TCP/IP control panel manually for slirp:
pageographer
Space Cadet

Post by pageographer »

Launched SheepShaver and can't connect to the internet, although I have been able to do so in the past. Tried to go to any web address using Classilla results in a host not found error. Verified slirp is in the Ethernet Interface box in the prefs. Inside SheepShaver, the TCP/IP control panel is showing a self-assigned IP. Connect via is set to Ethernet, and Configure is set to Using DHCP Server. I tried setting the values in the control panel manually, as follows:

Once done, I restarted SheepShaver, and launched Classilla. Attempting to then go to any web address causes SheepShaver to immediately crash. I also tried updating to the newest test build of SheepShaver, and deleting the normally hidden .nvram file, same results. Related info:

Host OS: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
SheepShaver: 2.4 (2017-11-26)
Classic OS: 9.0.4
Classilla: 9.3.3

Any help is most appreciated! Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Settings are correct and the same setup works fine here in Sierra.

The self-assigned addresses in TCP/IP were the same as the addresses you entered manually? If not, slirp networking may not work correctly. Check again prefs. Ethernet should read "slirp" exactly (without the quotation marks). Make sure there are no spaces or invisible characters before or after.
Attempting to then go to any web address causes SheepShaver to immediately crash.
Did you try the Classilla site? That one should work, I would think.
http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/start/
pageographer
Space Cadet

Post by pageographer »

Thanks for the reply.

I've verified that "slirp" (sans quotes) is indeed in the Ethernet Interface box. No other characters. The self-assigned IP address and the router address are both 169.254.90.203, the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0, and the name server address is 239.255.255.251.

I tried using classilla to reach the floodgap website. After a few seconds of "resolving host http://www.floodgap.com", I still get the same message: "www.floodgap.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

It does indeed seem that slirp networking isn't working. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Usually, when the slirp addresses are not automatically entered in TCP/IP, setting the addresses manually solves that. Connection can only be made with those specific addresses, so when the self-assigned address are wrong, connection will fail.

You did manually set the addresses correctly before and the result was a crash while trying to get internet access. Although slirp is known to be not very stable, using Classilla to access its own webpage should work. Did you make sure that Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses is enabled in SheepShaver Preferences > Miscellaneous?
pageographer
Space Cadet

Post by pageographer »

I verifed that, yes, Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses is checked. FWIW, I have BasiliskII installed with System 7.5.5, and internet access works there. Not sure if that's relevant. Internet access on the host OS works fine. Turning off the macOS firewall, and disabling Little Snitch (an outbound firewall) makes no difference. I also tried running SheepShaver with my VPN turned on in macOS Sierra. If I do that, as soon as Classilla tries to navigate to any website, SheepShaver crashes. Perhaps the VPN software has something to do with this issue? I would think though that if the VPN software isn't running, it shouldn't matter, but the crash with the VPN on is interesting.

Thanks again for your help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I have no more ideas. You did everything I would try myself to solve the issue. Maybe someone else can help you further?