Internet speed

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Internet speed

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Because of limitations in the telephone landline, I had to settle with DSL speeds of 18Mbit down and 2Mbit up for years. The telephone infrastructure has been improved and since today I now enjoy 103Mbit down and 29Mbit up. Wow!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Internet speed

Post by Cat_7 »

Is there anything you wish to share over that line ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Such as?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I have no idea, I just noted that you now have the capability to share with high speed (if you wanted to).

Is this still over the telephone line? I had to switch from ADSL to a cable-tv based solution to get higher speeds.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This is still over the same copper telephone line, at least the last mile or so to my home. It seems that the distance between my home and the main glass fiber network is now shorter and ADSL is replaced by VDSL.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'll be joining you soon: been at 15Mbit down/1.7MBit up for years, moving to 150/10 (switching to cable) in a few weeks. I'll still have an annoying data cap, but at least it's 1TB/month....

The DSLAM at my current place is really dodgy, and I really should have switched years ago.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Nice improvement.
I´m still on ca. 3500m bell wire and no improvement to expect.
Funny thing there is a fiber wire in the main road property of EON.
EON does nothing with it and awaits a leasing offer refusing to sell the cable.
So its 8Mbit/s down and 2Mbit/s up here - but only with the good old TI UR8 chipset. :(
Rickerson
Space Cadet

Post by Rickerson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Because of limitations in the telephone landline, I had to settle with DSL speeds of 18Mbit down and 2Mbit up for years. The telephone infrastructure has been improved and since today I now enjoy 103Mbit down and 29Mbit up. Wow!
Nice, mine is less than half of that sometimes and my ping is horrible too. It sucks living in the country sometimes.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've now spent a couple of months on the higher speeds, and I no longer think about internet speeds at all. The big challenge now is getting my home network to use 802.11ac instead of 802.11n -- I still can't figure out why I keep getting dumped onto the slower bandwidth when the readings clearly show less interference and strong signals on the upper channels :\
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If all of the devices on your network can connect on the 5 GHz band, you can disable the 2.4 GHz band in your dual band router settings. Then all devices will use the faster connection.
MacintoshPrototype
Student Driver

Post by MacintoshPrototype »

I'm stuck with 0.7Mbit download and 0.2Mbit upload... They don't want to connect our town to fiber optics network which ends about 2km away. There is nothing else than this 40 years old copper telephone wire, no cable-tv or LTE / 3G mobile network either, just GPRS. ISP said that they're planning to connect our town to fiber optics but they didn't said when. I have to wait 1-3 days to download Mac OS X zipped ISO images...

And all this is happening in Central Europe in 2018!