No sound in SheepShaver with Mac OS 9.0.4

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

alcazar84
Space Cadet

No sound in SheepShaver with Mac OS 9.0.4

Post by alcazar84 »

I have successfully installed SheepShaver, and I installed Mac OS 9.0.4 from a Mac OS 9.toast image I was able to download from the Internet. After getting everything installed, I removed the virtual CD from the machine and rebooted. When I was able to see the desktop, I went to check on the sound. I opened the Sound control panel, and under Output, I selected Built-in. I clicked on the Mute check box, but the menu bar flashed and the check mark from the Mute box was automatically removed. I clicked on Alert Sounds and clicked on the various sounds (SimpleBeep, Sosumi, Submarine, etc.) to hear what they would sound like, but each time, the menu bar flashed and no sound was made. I tried changing the Alert Volume (which defaulted to max volume), but whenever I moved it to the left, no matter how far, the menu bar flashed and no sound was made.

I had read somewhere that you should go to the Extensions folder and delete the Apple Sound Extension. I deleted it, emptied the trash, and rebooted. No effect.

Did I miss a step somewhere in setup? Is there something different that I need to do that I am not already doing? My host system is MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. This is the only system I have tried this on, and I do not have access to any other OS to try. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Scott
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: No sound in SheepShaver with Mac OS 9.0.4

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Odd. Could this be an issue specific to High Sierra?
alcazar84 wrote:I opened the Sound control panel, and under Output, I selected Built-in.
Although Built-in is the only option shown, it must be actually selected, clicked on to highlight it. Did you do that?
I clicked on the Mute check box, but the menu bar flashed and the check mark from the Mute box was automatically removed.
That is normal behaviour in SheepShaver.
I had read somewhere that you should go to the Extensions folder and delete the Apple Sound Extension. I deleted it, emptied the trash, and rebooted. No effect.
You mean the Apple Audio Extension? Yes, that one is better removed.
alcazar84
Space Cadet

Post by alcazar84 »

I do not have High Sierra, just regular Sierra (10.12.6), so that does not apply. I'm using a Mac mini (Late 2014) with a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 processor. If there are any other details I need to provide about my Mac, let me know what you need and I will find that information for you.

I did actually select Built-in. Didn't have any effect.

Yes, after I had deleted the extension, I forgot what it was called. Apple Audio Extension is the one that I deleted.

I checked other forums and even YouTube videos to see if anybody else has had this problem or other solutions to try, but nobody has suggested doing anything different than visiting the Sound control panel. I'm really at a loss as to what I can do to get sound.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

alcazar84 wrote: I'm really at a loss as to what I can do to get sound.
And so am I. In all these years I never encountered this issue.

Maybe something in your prefs settings? Please post the content of the prefs file here.
Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor.
Select all content, copy and paste it here.

Edit: You didn't by any chance disable Audio Output in SheepShaver preferences?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
alcazar84
Space Cadet

Post by alcazar84 »

Here are the contents of my prefs file:

disk SheepShaver/OS9.img
disk SheepShaver/MacOS9.hfv
extfs /Users/Scott/Desktop/SheepShaver/SheepShared
screen win/1280/800
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom /Users/Scott/Desktop/SheepShaver/Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 1073741824
frameskip 1
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait false

And I did not disable Audio Output in the SheepShaver preferences.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This is a bit handwavy, but what happens if you disable jit altogether? I'd expect there to be no difference, but the obvious things all appear to be configured correctly....
alcazar84
Space Cadet

Post by alcazar84 »

Nothing happened. Everything appeared (and sounded, or lack thereof) the same as before.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Your first disk entry (OS9.img) looks a lot like the disk image one can download from the redundantrobot site. At least it has the same name. What is the size of that file? And what is the hfv file?

Perhaps you disk image doesn't provide a full install of Mac OS 9. I would suggest you find a universal 9.0 image on the macintosh garden site and install again.

Best,
Cat_7
alcazar84
Space Cadet

Post by alcazar84 »

The OS9.img file did come from redundantrobot. I have since downloaded disk images from MacintoshGarden.org. I do not know what the .hfv file is, only that my first iteration of using Sheepshaver created it. I do not think that it is even being used any longer. Is it safe to delete it?

At this point, I have downloaded disk images of 8.5, 8.6, 9.0, and 9.0.4. None of them have sound. The Monitors & Sound control panel in 8.5 and 8.6 do not have anything listed under Sound Output. There isn't a way to assign anything to it either. I double-checked the .sheepshaver_prefs file, and it does indeed have a line that says "nosound false", so that's not where the problem lies. Somebody had suggested to me to delete a file called .sheepshaver_nvram, but that file does not exist in /Users/Scott (my home directory). Could that missing file be the cause of the problem? How is that file created? What is its purpose?

More suggestions to try, please. Maybe these fits of non-progress are helpful in some way.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

alcazar84 wrote:The OS9.img file did come from redundantrobot. I have since downloaded disk images from MacintoshGarden.org. I do not know what the .hfv file is, only that my first iteration of using Sheepshaver created it. I do not think that it is even being used any longer. Is it safe to delete it?

At this point, I have downloaded disk images of 8.5, 8.6, 9.0, and 9.0.4. None of them have sound. The Monitors & Sound control panel in 8.5 and 8.6 do not have anything listed under Sound Output. There isn't a way to assign anything to it either. I double-checked the .sheepshaver_prefs file, and it does indeed have a line that says "nosound false", so that's not where the problem lies. Somebody had suggested to me to delete a file called .sheepshaver_nvram, but that file does not exist in /Users/Scott (my home directory). Could that missing file be the cause of the problem? How is that file created? What is its purpose?

More suggestions to try, please. Maybe these fits of non-progress are helpful in some way.
hfv files are the same as img or dmg files; they're the virtual disk that the guest OS is saved on.

the .sheepshaver_nvram file is the NVRAM (non-volatile RAM) file that represents the battery-backed RAM of a real Macintosh computer. It stores the date/time, hardware configuration, video settings, etc. between reboots. This sometimes became corrupt on real macs, and sometimes does in the emulator too; deleting it should cause a new version to be generated on next boot, and you may lose a few settings such as key repeat rate and menu flashing on select.

However, I think your real issue lies elsewhere.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

alcazar84 wrote:At this point, I have downloaded disk images of 8.5, 8.6, 9.0, and 9.0.4. None of them have sound.
Did you actually install each system?
The Monitors & Sound control panel in 8.5 and 8.6 do not have anything listed under Sound Output.
From the setup guide:
In Mac OS 8.5/8.6, and sometimes in 8.1, the Sound control panel is installed in the “Apple Extras” folder. You can use it there to select the built-in output device.
Somebody had suggested to me to delete a file called .sheepshaver_nvram, but that file does not exist in /Users/Scott (my home directory).
The file is hidden in the Finder. You can delete it using the "Zap PRAM" script that is included in the SheepShaver download. Best do that when SheepShaver is not running.
macplus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by macplus »

Long time no see.
I think the problem lies within your ROM file, because sound works perfectly fine for me in 9.0.4.
alcazar84
Space Cadet

Post by alcazar84 »

I will give trying to download a new ROM file a try and see if that helps anything. So far, I'm still stuck in the same place as before. However, I have recently upgraded my host Mac to High Sierra 10.13. I don't know if that makes a difference, but still it might be worth pointing out, in case anybody else is having the same problem I am.

A quick reminder where I can download the ROM file from, please? It has been a while since I have needed the download link.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The Mac ROM is not an issue here.
If you want to replace it anyway, please look at the SheepShaver DL page
for Windows and look for "To get started, always download this:"
And yes, I know you are using macOS. ;)

For the sound issue, be sure to repeat the steps Ronald suggested.
Install a pristine MacOS 8.5 to 9.0.4 on an e.g. empty 2GB volume and enable sound via the Control Panel.
Also make sure that sound is enabled in the SheepShaver GUI (or prefs file).
The flashing menu bar does tell that sound on the Mac side is not configured.
This "no-sound" setting is stored in the Mac NVRAM and is valid for all MacOS you are booting with SheepShaver.
pablodagnino
Space Cadet

Post by pablodagnino »

I had the same issue, :shock:
but solved just lowering the RAM amount in ShSh prefs to 256 MB instead of the initial 512 MB.
Sound appeared like magic. :lol:

My system:
OSX 10.6.8
MacBook 3,1 / 3GB RAM
running OS9.0.4 and ShSh version 2.3.20091025
alcazar84
Space Cadet

Post by alcazar84 »

I wish that would have worked for me. I lowered the RAM down to 256, but there was no change in anything. Still no sound. )-:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You may have to do a clean install of Mac OS 9 to get it to pick up the audio configuration. Have you tried that yet?
ganzbeitrost
Space Cadet

Post by ganzbeitrost »

Press the up cursor on your keyboard as long until it sounds right for you ;-)
alcazar84
Space Cadet

Post by alcazar84 »

I don't understand what this means. When do you press the up cursor? What will you see and hear when you do so?