Can't get the Unix Shared folder

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mac-chatter
Space Cadet

Can't get the Unix Shared folder

Post by Mac-chatter »

Hi all,

long time haven't been here with a login. I tried to get Basilisk2 running. Everything cool so far. However for some reason I can't get the Unix Shared "Drive" on the desktop.

This is my entry: " /Applications/Emulatoren/Basilisk2/Shared "

I use the 1MB PERFORMA ROM (630). I installed System 7.1. Host system is OSX 10.6.8 on a 2010 Macmini. I rereread the instructions again and again. I tried with and without " /Users/myname/Appl.../.../ " My HDD pathes also start with " /Applications/Emulatoren/Basilisk2/xy.img " and work fine. My only way to communicate between Basilik2 and the OSX is via a .dmg drive. This is how I indroduced the System 7.1 into the Basilik2.

I succeeded with the Unix Drive on Sheepshaver.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading and thinking!

Mac-Chatter
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Can't get the Unix Shared folder

Post by 24bit »

A known obstacle - the shared folder is not available with MacOS 7.1.
I recall a patch for it, but can´t tell where to find that.
What about 7.5.3? http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The patch is that you need to copy the File System Manager extension from System 7.5 to the 7.1 (or 7.0) extension folder. This is required to make the shared folder visible.
Mac-chatter
Space Cadet

Post by Mac-chatter »

Thanks for your quick reply. Was a "difficult birth" to get the File Syst. Mgr. Ext. into Basilisk, because Mac OSX Snow Leo Diskutil doesn't support <Mac OS Standard> disk images. Made it via Disk Copy within Sheepshaver. Finally it works and I can connect the Unix Drive!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Mac-chatter wrote:because Mac OSX Snow Leo Diskutil doesn't support <Mac OS Standard> disk images.
Next time you could use HFS Disk Maker. It creates HFS (standard) disk images from any file or folder. See: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=8337
seirios-1.4
Space Cadet

Post by seirios-1.4 »

adespoton wrote:The patch is that you need to copy the File System Manager extension from System 7.5 to the 7.1 (or 7.0) extension folder. This is required to make the shared folder visible.
Sorry, I cannot find "File System Manager" in a newly installed System 7.5.3 folder.
The topic seems quite interesting for System 7.1 is neat and snappier than the ones that followed.

Best regards
seirios
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It should be in the Extensions folder. I've been doing that swap for over 15 years, and it's always been there for me....
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not see a "File System Manager" extension either in a 7.5.5 installation in BasiliskII.

Looked it up in InformINIT 8.1:
• File System Manager (v1.2.4): File System Manager (FSM) is an obscure part of the Macintosh operating system that was proposed for System 7.0 but didn't officially ship until System 7.5.1, when it was part of the System itself. Providing support for external file systems, the extension was used on earlier systems by developers to support FSM functionality and to utilize its features without having to rewrite the entire Macintosh File Manager system. It is used by the System for cross-platform exchange with ProDOS and PC systems and is used by Macintosh PC Exchange. It also supports "plug-in" file for different types of media/file systems.
seirios-1.4
Space Cadet

Post by seirios-1.4 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I do not see a "File System Manager" extension either in a 7.5.5 installation in BasiliskII.

Looked it up in InformINIT 8.1:
• File System Manager (v1.2.4): File System Manager (FSM) is an obscure part of the Macintosh operating system that was proposed for System 7.0 but didn't officially ship until System 7.5.1, when it was part of the System itself. Providing support for external file systems, the extension was used on earlier systems by developers to support FSM functionality and to utilize its features without having to rewrite the entire Macintosh File Manager system. It is used by the System for cross-platform exchange with ProDOS and PC systems and is used by Macintosh PC Exchange. It also supports "plug-in" file for different types of media/file systems.
Thanks Ronald!
I searched it in Macintosh garden, found it, copied in Sys 7.1, restarted, and now it does work indeed.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/file-system-manager-12

Best regards
seirios