SeepShaver doesn't work after OS upgrade

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Wayne3604
Student Driver

SeepShaver doesn't work after OS upgrade

Post by Wayne3604 »

I recently upgraded my OS to Sierra (10.12.6) and now SheepShaver will not start. I never had trouble before when upgrading OS. Can someone help me?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SeepShaver doesn't work after OS upgrade

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Upgrade from 10.11. to 10.12.6?
Probably depends on how you did the upgrade, in place or with migration from a backup. An upgrade in place should not affect an already installed and working SheepShaver.

If you use a regular SheepShaver installation (not COI or such), you may need to do the workaround for a new SheepShaver installation in 10.12 and later as described in the download topic:
There is an issue with macOS 10.12 Sierra (in fact with an additional new security feature in Sierra) that prevents a newly installed SheepShaver to run. The procedure to get it running is simply to copy the program (only the SheepShaver application itself!) to the desktop, remove the old program in the SheepShaver folder and move the new copy from the desktop to the SheepShaver folder.
Wayne3604
Student Driver

Post by Wayne3604 »

I upgraded from 10.9 to 10.12 from a flash drive I got on EBay. Everything else in the upgrade seems to work OK.

I tried to do the workaround, but I must be doing something wrong. I have always had SheepShaver in a folder on my desktop. Dragging the SheepShaver application from the folder to the desktop does not produce a new copy, it just moves the application out of the folder to the desktop itself. Duplicating the application, either inside the folder or on the desktop itself then moving the original to the trash, removing "copy" from the name of the copy, and then doing the new copy back to the folder still does not work.
Wayne3604
Student Driver

Post by Wayne3604 »

It seems what I thought was the program (the SheepShaver application) was only an alias. For some reason, when I move the application back from the desk to the SheepShave folder it becomes an alias!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Are you sure it wasn't an alias to begin with?

Copying is done by dragging while pressing the option key. Normal dragging from a folder on the desktop to the desktop or from the desktop to a folder on the desktop should just move it. But if that folder on the desktop is an alias from a folder in the Applications folder, then dragging the file to the desktop will create an alias.

About SheepShaver not running after the upgrade: Maybe you had SheepShaver run in 64-bit mode? In OSX 10.10 and later it will only run in 32-bit mode. Select the application icon and hit Command-I. In the Info panel select the box "Open in 32-bit mode".
Wayne3604
Student Driver

Post by Wayne3604 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Are you sure it wasn't an alias to begin with?

Copying is done by dragging while pressing the option key. Normal dragging from a folder on the desktop to the desktop or from the desktop to a folder on the desktop should just move it. But if that folder on the desktop is an alias from a folder in the Applications folder, then dragging the file to the desktop will create an alias.

About SheepShaver not running after the upgrade: Maybe you had SheepShaver run in 64-bit mode? In OSX 10.10 and later it will only run in 32-bit mode. Select the application icon and hit Command-I. In the Info panel select the box "Open in 32-bit mode".
First of all, thank you for your time in trying to solve this frustrating problem.

I tried everything that you said and it still didn't work. I even restarted the computer after setting to 32 bit mode. There was definitely an application in the SheepShaver Folder. The finder says SheepShaver.app 3.7MB size. After restarting I then option dragged the application to the desktop, moved the application in the folder to the trash, and then moved the application on the desktop to the folder. Trying to open it, it acted like it was starting to open, then immediately stopped.

Thanks again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Check again if the application is set to open in 32-bit mode. If it is, run the "Zap PRAM" script that was included in the SheepShaver download.

If SheepShaver still does not work, please post here the contents of your prefs folder:

Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/) and typ at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The prefs file will open in your default text editor.
Select all content, copy and paste it here in your reply.
Wayne3604
Student Driver

Post by Wayne3604 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Check again if the application is set to open in 32-bit mode. If it is, run the "Zap PRAM" script that was included in the SheepShaver download.

If SheepShaver still does not work, please post here the contents of your prefs folder:

Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/) and typ at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The prefs file will open in your default text editor.
Select all content, copy and paste it here in your reply.
I don't have the Zap PRAM script in my folder. The only script is something called Delete Prefs File.app.

Here is the contents of my prefs folder:

disk /MHD.dmg
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Users/Shared
screen win/0/0
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom /Users/waynearmbrust/Desktop/SheepShaver/mac_oldworld_rom4mb.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 2
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether
keycodes true
keycodefile /Users/waynearmbrust/Desktop/SheepShaver/keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true

Thank you.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It's probably not affecting your boots, but I'd replace "rom /Users/waynearmbrust/Desktop/SheepShaver/mac_oldworld_rom4mb.rom" with "rom Mac OS ROM" and stick a new world ROM in that location, if you're running OS 9.

Also, you can remove the cdrom line, as /dev/poll/cdrom doesn't exist under your current OS. Also, change ignoreillegal false to ignoreillegal true, or you're going to have random lockups of SheepShaver.

[edit] Oh, and I'd also recommend moving MHD.dmg from your drive's root -- that might be causing issues. Stick it in /Users/Shared/ if you don't want it in your own userland.

[edit2] I just noticed that your ROM and keycodes files are hard-coded to a SheepShaver folder on the desktop. This will break if you move that folder. Better to just name them without the hard paths so that when you move the folder, the paths are still correct.
Wayne3604
Student Driver

Post by Wayne3604 »

adespoton wrote:It's probably not affecting your boots, but I'd replace "rom /Users/waynearmbrust/Desktop/SheepShaver/mac_oldworld_rom4mb.rom" with "rom Mac OS ROM" and stick a new world ROM in that location, if you're running OS 9.

Also, you can remove the cdrom line, as /dev/poll/cdrom doesn't exist under your current OS. Also, change ignoreillegal false to ignoreillegal true, or you're going to have random lockups of SheepShaver.

[edit] Oh, and I'd also recommend moving MHD.dmg from your drive's root -- that might be causing issues. Stick it in /Users/Shared/ if you don't want it in your own userland.

[edit2] I just noticed that your ROM and keycodes files are hard-coded to a SheepShaver folder on the desktop. This will break if you move that folder. Better to just name them without the hard paths so that when you move the folder, the paths are still correct.
I am running 8.0 The exact same SheepShaver setup, as far as I can tell, that I have on my installed disk (10.12.6) works fine on the 10.6.8 disk.

I do appreciate your time in this.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If the setup and location of files and the name of your home folder did not change with the upgrade, I see no reason to make changes.

Edit: I notice, though, that your startup disk image "MHD.dmg" is at root level on your host's disk. Why did you choose that location?
Wayne3604 wrote:I don't have the Zap PRAM script in my folder. The only script is something called Delete Prefs File.app.
Do a new SheepShaver download from this topic: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360
The Zap PRAM script is in the SheepShaver scripts folder.

If your SheepShaver application happens to be older then the 2014 build, replace the application (only the application file itself) with the newly downloaded one. Then run the Zap PRAM script.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason:  
Wayne3604
Student Driver

Post by Wayne3604 »

First of all, I than you for your time on this. You and one other person have suggested a number of things, some of which I have tried, some I haven't yet.

1. I have moved the SheepShave folder into my Applications Folder.
2. I have set the application to open in 32 bit mode.
3. I have copied the SheepShaver application to the desktop, deleted the original copy in the SheepShaver folder, then copied the application back to the SheepShaver folder.
4. I have not changed any of the prefs, including the ones that hard-code ROM and key code files to a folder on the desktop. Do I just edit the file in my default text editor (TextEdit), then save it? I have saved a copy of it on my desktop just in case I have to go back to the original.
5. MHD is at the root level because that is where it has always been when I first downloaded SheepShaver in about 2010. Where should I move it? "adespoton" recommends moving it to /Users/Shared/
6. I have not done a new Sheepshave download, therefore I have not run Zap PRAM.

I would appreciate it if you would suggest a logical order to do these things, and how to modify the prefs. Thank you very much.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I think you best set up SheepShaver again. Setup is easiest when all files are together in one folder. You can use your existing rom file and disk image file.

1. Download the the 2014 SheepShaver build from this topic: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360
You can rename the folder to simply "SheepShaver" if you prefer that.

2. Run both scripts that are included in the download to be able to do a new setup.

3. If you are the only user that will use SheepShaver, place the folder in a convenient place somewhere in your home folder.

4. Apply the workaround for macOS 10.12 and later:
Copy the application (only the SheepShaver application itself!) to the desktop, remove the original application in the SheepShaver folder and move the new copy from the desktop to the SheepShaver folder.

5. Rename your "mac_oldworld_rom4mb.rom" rom file to "Mac OS ROM" and make sure no file name extension is left after the name. (You can check this in Finder Info for the file.)

6. Put the rom file in the SheepShaver folder.

7. Put your MHD.dmg image file in the SheepShaver folder.
Note that in 10.12 you have no write access to the root level on your harddisk. So, dragging the file from that location may result in either an alias or a copy. You can force copying the file by holding the option key while dragging. The original file can probably be removed by trashing it. An administrator password will then be asked.

8. Now you can launch SheepShaver. It will show the floppy icon with blinking question mark in its window.

9. Choose Preferences from the SheepShaver menu to open the preferences (Virtual Machine Settings) window.

10. In the setup window, add the ROM file name using the "Browse…" button to find and "Open" the ROM file.

11. Use the "Add…" button to find and "Open" your MHD.dmg disk image file. The file will appear in the Volumes list.

12. Now follow the remaining steps in the setup guide, starting half-way in "3. Configure preferences in Setup tab" where it says "Unix Root". (You can create a shared folder in a convenient location, like on your desktop. It needs not necessarily be the /Users/Shared/ folder.)

13. After you followed all steps and finished setup with quitting SheepShaver as described in "7. Quit SheepShaver", you can launch SheepShaver again and you should be back in business.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added the workaround for macOS 10.12 and later
Wayne3604
Student Driver

Post by Wayne3604 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I think you best set up SheepShaver again. Setup is easiest when all files are together in one folder. You can use your existing rom file and disk image file.

1. Download the the 2014 SheepShaver build from this topic: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360
You can rename the folder to simply "SheepShaver" if you prefer that.

2. Run both scripts that are included in the download to be able to do a new setup.

3. If you are the only user that will use SheepShaver, place the folder in a convenient place somewhere in your home folder.

4. Rename your "mac_oldworld_rom4mb.rom" rom file to "Mac OS ROM" and make sure no file name extension is left after the name. (You can check this in Finder Info for the file.)

5. Put the rom file in the SheepShaver folder.

6. Put your MHD.dmg image file in the SheepShaver folder.
Note that in 10.12 you have no write access to the root level on your harddisk. So, dragging the file from that location may result in either an alias or a copy. You can force copying the file by holding the option key while dragging. The original file can probably be removed by trashing it. An administrator password will then be asked.

7. Now you can launch SheepShaver. It will show the floppy icon with blinking question mark in its window.

8. Choose Preferences from the SheepShaver menu to open the preferences (Virtual Machine Settings) window.

9. In the setup window, add the ROM file name using the "Browse…" button to find and "Open" the ROM file.

10. Use the "Add…" button to find and "Open" your MHD.dmg disk image file. The file will appear in the Volumes list.

11. Now follow the remaining steps in the setup guide, starting half-way in "3. Configure preferences in Setup tab" where it says "Unix Root". (You can create a shared folder in a convenient location, like on your desktop. It needs not necessarily be the /Users/Shared/ folder.)

12. After you followed all steps and finished setup with quitting SheepShaver as described in "7. Quit SheepShaver", you can launch SheepShaver again and you should be back in business.
Thank you for all your help. I will try this later when I have time to give it my undivided attention and will report back the results.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Note that I edited my instructions by adding the workaround for macOS 10.12 and later.
Wayne3604
Student Driver

Post by Wayne3604 »

Everything seems to work ok except I don't seem to be able to increase the screen size. I have it set to
Video Type: Window
Refresh Rate: Dynamic
Width: 800
Height: 600
with Enable Quick Draw Acceleration checked

When I try to increase the window size nothing happens, and when I restart I get an error message saying that the Unix folder can't be used because it can't be found! What is going on here?

I really appreciate your help and patience.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Any changes you make to the prefs aren't applied until you quit SheepShaver and re-run it. Just rebooting OS 9 instead of quitting the app generally returns the results you're experiencing.
Wayne3604
Student Driver

Post by Wayne3604 »

To everyone who has assisted me in this, thank you very much!