Restore System Software using Performa CD

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

sheepmyshaver123
Granny Smith

Restore System Software using Performa CD

Post by sheepmyshaver123 »

When I trying to restore the system software from the Macintosh Performa CD, the message says the problem with the internal hard disk when trying to restore.

I've heard the SoftMac is works fine, but slowest.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. For which Performa model is the restore CD?

2. Please quote the exact error message. If it is not in English, quote in the original language and add a close as possible English translation.
sheepmyshaver123
Granny Smith

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:1. For which Performa model is the restore CD?

2. Please quote the exact error message. If it is not in English, quote in the original language and add a close as possible English translation.
1. It's the Performa 630 Series DOS Compatible restore CD SSW v7.5.

2. Here is the error message when trying to start restoring system software in Basilisk II:
Problems with internal hard disk.

There doesn't seem to be a hard disk to restore to.
Inside the Basilisk II has the hard disk mounted (as large floppy images with disguised hard disk icon), but the restore setup says to use SCSI or IDE hard disks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Right. Does the restore CD contain a folder "Hard disk" (or similar name)? You can simply copy its contents to a empty volume that is mounted in BasiliskII. After copying, make sure the System Folder is 'blessed' (shows the System Folder icon) by opening and again closing the folder.

(The system on the CD is intended for a specific Mac model, so it may not be compatible with the BasiliskII emulated machine.)
sheepmyshaver123
Granny Smith

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Right. Does the restore CD contain a folder "Hard disk" (or similar name)? You can simply copy its contents to a empty volume that is mounted in BasiliskII. After copying, make sure the System Folder is 'blessed' (shows the System Folder icon) by opening and again closing the folder.

(The system on the CD is intended for a specific Mac model, so it may not be compatible with the BasiliskII emulated machine.)
This CD does not have. I have the pre-loaded HFV has done using SoftMac.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Restore System Software using Performa CD

Post by adespoton »

Old thread, but I've been working on the answer.

The Apple Backup restore function requires a SCSI HD with the proper boot sector before it will restore. SoftMac is the only emulator to date that actively emulates the SCSI bus, so it's the only emulator that will recognize the HD image as a SCSI drive.

Unfortunately, SoftMac appears to emulate specific hardware, so the Performa CD images, while they boot, will either not recognize the HD image, or will claim you're not booting off the Performa CD.

Regular Apple Backup restores work just fine from SoftMac though.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Basilisk by neozeed can also do SCSI:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cockatrice/
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

FusionPC does SCSI very well too.
I doubt that any of the emulators may be set to such a specific Performa model, restoring would work.
Either way a working SCSI HBA on the PC side will be obligatory methinks.
Plus the SCSI HDD of course.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've also done some hacking,and have modified the "Restore All Software" application so that it will now restore all software to the first volume in the volume list -- this means that you need to rename your system folder before running the restore, but it'll restore to the boot volume flawlessly. I had to NOP out the SCSI check AND NOP out the check for the Performa CD. I did it on one of the latest versions of the software, so it should work with any AppleBackup files, as long as they're all in the same folder as the hacked application and named appropriately. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that the resulting system folder will actually boot on an emulator; eg, while I've got a bare-bones 7.1P6 to boot on BII with the the Quadra 650 ROM and MachineID, this doesn't work with the Performa 630CD restore CD. But it at least allows you to make an image with all the software, and then you can replace the system file with a universal version (it doesn't appear to be a System Enabler issue, as they've both got the same enablers, and I've already removed the hardware-dependent extensions).