Mac OS X 10.1 not booting after update

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Punio
Space Cadet

Mac OS X 10.1 not booting after update

Post by Punio »

I had a PearPC Virtual Machine with Mac OS X 10.1, and it was fully working. Today I decided to install the 7-18-02 Security Update for 10.1, Installer update 1.0 and Combo Update 10.1.5, but, after the reboot, the broken folder icon appears every single time after bootup. I am on 256MB of memory.

Does anyone know how I can get my machine working again?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mac OS X 10.1 not booting after update

Post by adespoton »

I know that I had that config working, but it's not officially supported, and I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it to work. I believe I could only use 128MB RAM and a max 2GB HD. Earlier versions of 10.1 didn't have those limitations.

However, I eventually switched to QEMU for 10.1 emulation, and the support is now MUCH better.
Punio
Space Cadet

Post by Punio »

Then what is the latest combined update I can install with my specs?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You may have to go with trial and error. Although it's officially unsupported, I was able to get it working stably tweaking config values; this means that you should be able to do so as well. Since I tossed my PearPC config and switched to QEMU before recording that info, I can't tell you the exact config I used to get it functional.