HELP A NEWBIE PLEASE

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: HELP A NEWBIE PLEASE

Post by adespoton »

As per your desktop background, you still appear to be booting off the CD. Have you followed the instructions on the Wiki to install OS 9 and remove the installer image from your list of mounted disks?
crodriguez
Student Driver

Post by crodriguez »

I believeI have not followed the instructions on the Wiki. Are the instructions these:https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup ?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Those are the instructions :) You may find that you're currently somewhere around "Booting SheepShaver and installing the system" or shortly after in the process.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Judging by the desktop image, you are still booting from the installer disk. You need to remove the .toast installer image from the volumes list to enable SheepShaver to boot from the installed system.
crodriguez
Student Driver

Post by crodriguez »

hello again, I've deleted the .toast installer image from the volumes. This is what I get when I relaunch SheepShaver, does it seem correct? Im also confused on how to add a shared folder to the Sheep Shaver Desktop, advice would be appreciated. I need this shared folder because I need to copy the MacDiff installer on there, any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

On the OSX host, create a folder in a convenient place. I would suggest on your desktop.

Launch SheepShaver. Open preferences. Where it says "Unix Root", add the path to your shared folder using the "Browse…" button to find and "Open" the folder you created to be the shared folder. Click Save, and quit SheepShaver. The next time you launch SheepShaver, the shared folder will appear as a disk "Unix".

Read the setup manual carefully about how to use the shared folder:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... _unix_disk
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You've also currently got a disk called "Disk" that you're booting from, and a second disk called "Mac OS 9". I'm guessing that second one is an unlocked copy of the install CD? Or was that the one you intended to install to?

In either case, you've still got an extra disk image loading in the preferences.

The rest looks to be good as far as it goes, but you don't have the unix disk set and likely don't have networking enabled either.
crodriguez
Student Driver

Post by crodriguez »

I have created the Unix. Now im able to get the program on the SS desktop. However I Got an error (error-39)when I tried to run the program. Any ideas what the error is about and how it can be fixed ? thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I wrote in my previous post:
Read the setup manual carefully about how to use the shared folder: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... _unix_disk
Maybe you did not fully understand the instructions there.

More clearly: Do not try to open application files when they are still in Unix and do not move files from Unix to the desktop! Ever!

First drag files from "Unix" to "Disk" so they will be copied to "Disk".
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Forgot the essential "not" in my reply.