Desktop folder location?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

BobS
Space Cadet

Desktop folder location?

Post by BobS »

I have two separate boot images. One for MacOS 9 and the other for MacOS 7.5. It seems that the desktop items from my MacOS 7.5 image appear in my MacOS 9 image, even when I move the 7.5 image into another folder and deleted it from the volumes list in the preference editor. While booted into MacOS 9 the items from my MacOS 7.5 image can be moved around but not deleted. Strangely when I remove the MacOS 9 image from the volumes list and replace it with the MacOS 7.5 image, I find that the items (files on the desktop) show the new locations from the move I did while booted into the MacOS 9 image. Confusing. So I was wondering if there is a desktop folder that is outside the images that is being shared.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Desktop folder location?

Post by adespoton »

Each disk has its own Desktop folder, including the Unix drive. So it's likely that some of the stuff is in the Desktop folder in your shared folder.
BobS
Space Cadet

Post by BobS »

found it. there is an invisible "Desktop Folder" (without quotes) on the root of the unix (MacOS 10.12.6) boot drive. It seems that this to this folder that each boot image--MacOS 9 and MacOS 7.5--points. Strangely, files made in one image are not usable in the other image and cause errors.
BobS
Space Cadet

Post by BobS »

Also within this "Desktop Folder" is a ".finf" folder with a copy of the contents of the "Desktop Folder". I think it is this ".finf" folder that the second--MacOS 9--image is drawing to display as items on its desktop. This files seem to only be placeholder of some type, while the "real" working files reside in the invisible "Desktop Folder" at the root of the unix drive. weird.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

In the old MacOS there is no one location "Desktop". Each volume has its own desktop (a folder "Desktop Folder" that is invisible in the old MacOS). What you see on the desktop is the combined desktops of all mounted volumes.

The Desktop Folder in Unix is visible on the macOS 10.12 side in the folder that you made the shared folder. Files in "Unix" and on the Unix desktop cannot be trashed on the MacOS side. If you want to delete them, you will need to do that on the macOS 10.12 side from the shared folder.
See also the use of Unix/shared folder in the setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... _unix_disk