Installing games

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Installing games

Post by Hardback247 »

Could someone please give me instructions as to how to get Sheepshaver to read discs I have in my superdrive, and install games from those discs?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Installing games

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Next time, please give more information. Your host system is apparently a version of MacOSX/OSX/macOS

If you would have read the setup manual by now, you would have known that OSX 10.8 and later prevents mounting of physical CD-ROMs in SheepShaver.

You can make disk images out of the CD-ROMs with Disk Utility. Choose "DVD/CD Master" (.cdr) for the format. Then add the needed images to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences.

The manual describes workarounds for use of CD-ROM disk images, but if you use the recent SheepShaver test build, you can simply specify which of the volumes in the list should be mounted in SheepShaver as CD-ROM. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9613

As always: After any change in SheepShaver preferences, quit SheepShaver and launch it again.

And read the manual!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

With "Superdrive" you are referring to some external DVD USB device from Apple presumably.
On my side its impossible to read/install anything from CD/DVD from inside SheepShaver on macOS. :(
Windows users are lucky, as SheepShaver has been patched to read from optical devices on 64it OS again.

On macOS, the only known workaround is creating an ISO image of the CD in question and
mounting that one via the SheepShaver GUI (volumes tab).
Mounting the image in SheepShaver from a emulated HDD with http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility is another option, as is Toast.

You may also consider running SheepShaver in a virtual machine OSX 10.8 or lower.
Apple did not cut out CD support on earlier OSX flavours - not sure about the exact version though.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

On my side its impossible to read/install anything from CD/DVD from inside SheepShaver on macOS.
Not strictly advisable, but try to run SheepShaver as root ;-)
Used to work after mountain lion? prohibited non-privileged access.

Best,
Cat_7
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

I'm sorry, but I wish I could get someone's help with a phone call or Skype, to guide me through the steps as I'm doing them.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. Install the new test version of SheepShaver that I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9613 You can simply replace the old application with this newer one.

2. Mount the CD you want to use in OSX and use Disk Utility to create a disk image from the CD. Choose "DVD/CD Master" (.cdr) for the format.

3. Launch the new SheepShaver, open SheepShaver preferences, add the disk image to the volumes list and check the CDROM checkbox after the image entry. Save the changes.

4. Quit SheepShaver and launch it again. You will find the image volume on the desktop with a CD icon. You can use it as you would the CD on a real old Mac.
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:1. Install the new test version of SheepShaver that I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9613 You can simply replace the old application with this newer one.

2. Mount the CD you want to use in OSX and use Disk Utility to create a disk image from the CD. Choose "DVD/CD Master" (.cdr) for the format.

3. Launch the new SheepShaver, open SheepShaver preferences, add the disk image to the volumes list and check the CDROM checkbox after the image entry. Save the changes.

4. Quit SheepShaver and launch it again. You will find the image volume on the desktop with a CD icon. You can use it as you would the CD on a real old Mac.
I did what you said, and I saw an Audio CD 1 icon on the Sheepshaver desktop. I opened it, and it showed an audio track that says "Track 1." I double-clicked it, and all it opened was the AppleCD Audio Player. There has to be something wrong, because there should be a game on that disc.
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

Never mind the previous message, but I'm getting another problem when playing the game. Not only is there no sound in the game, but when I select something, it won't go through, and it shows me an error message of #-1856.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. The Audio CD issue is a bug in SheepShaver that can happen when you try to remove/eject a CD from within SheepShaver. Only add or remove CD images in preferences and always quit SheepShaver after any change is made and saved in preferences.

2. Did you enable sound in Sound control panel? (See the setup manual.)

3. Which game are you trying to play in SheepShaver?
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: 2. Did you enable sound in Sound control panel? (See the setup manual.)

3. Which game are you trying to play in SheepShaver?
I thought I enabled the sound, because I clicked on "Built-in" under "Output," but when I select different alert sounds, I still don't hear anything!

I tried playing 3D Dinosaur Adventure, and a message popped up saying:

"An error occurred while attempting to allocate a sound channel. This may be due to a shortage of memory. You might want to try disabling some system extensions to free up more memory."

I have 776 MB out of 999 MB available, so I don't think the memory is the problem.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. When you open Sound control panel, shows the Built-in line as selected, highlighted? If not, try again to select it and see if the selection sticks between restarts.

2. SheepShaver cannot play 3D games. The needed graphical hardware is not emulated.
Edit: Apparently I interpreted the "3D" incorrectly. Later 3D games cannot be played in SheepShaver but this game is only 3D insofar as it can be viewed with special glasses. As 24bit notes below, it can be played in SheepShaver.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon May 07, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Is it this game? http://macintoshgarden.org/games/3d-din ... ry-edition

If yes, the game plays fine on my side in SheepShaver MacOS 8.6.
Host OS is Sierra 10.12.6.
The game runs from the ISO image - with sound - after mounting the ISO via SheepShaver GUI.
As I don´t have green/red 3-D "glasses" the 3-D effect is not visible for me. ;)
Except for that, running 3-D Dinosaur seems to be one of the easy ones for SheepShaver.

As for the sound issue, I had more luck enabling the built in sound for SeepShaver from 8.6 than 9.0.
Maybe just flaw on my side. I usually prefer 8.6 or 7.6 anyway.

@Cat_7: Thanks for the reminder about super user!
Funny thing, "sudo /Applications/ApplicationName.app/Contents/MacOS/ApplicationName"
does not work for me, but crashes the emulator - maybe an issue with my Lenovo T420.
In the rare need of reading from CD, I may always switch to Windows or Snow Leopard.
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

24bit wrote: As for the sound issue, I had more luck enabling the built in sound for SeepShaver from 8.6 than 9.0. Maybe just flaw on my side. I usually prefer 8.6 or 7.6 anyway.
In that case, where can I find the ROM for Mac 8.6, and what do I do once I download it?
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:1. When you open Sound control panel, shows the Built-in line as selected, highlighted? If not, try again to select it and see if the selection sticks between restarts.
Yes, it was highlighted. No, it still doesn't work.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

For 8.6 there are a few DL sites available.
MacOS 8.6 is a operating system, not a ROM.
You may use the same Mac ROM for it as for MacOS 9.0.
Maybe try DL No. 9 here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os- ... cd-library
If you should want a non US localised flavour, the Macintosh Anthology DVDs cover a bunch of languages.
The DVD images are hosted on Max1zzz´s server - nobody did feel the need to add the files to the Macintoshgarden server so far. (lots of work, few merits :) )
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-anthology-99
http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/max1zz ... mac-server

Once you DL MacOS 8.6, inflate with The Unarchiver, lock the file on your host OS (El Cap) and add the .toast file at the top of the volumes tab in the SheepShaver setup GUI.
Add a new empty volume below the toast file too.
If you wish, yo may pick one here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators
(Note that some old apps won´t work well on disk images larger than 2GB.)

SheepShaver should boot from the 8.6 toast file and you may run the installer targeting at the new volume.
If MacOS asks to initialise your new (empty) volume beforehand, do so.

Lets hope you´ll have more luck enabling sound from 8.6.
Once sound is enabled in SheepShaver, it will be working regardless of the MacOS booting.

I case you are using a VM, you should also make sure that sound is passed through from your virtualisation engine to your main OS.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If he uses the new download from the SheepShaver download page, there's no longer a need to lock CD images: it sets them correctly now.
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

adespoton wrote:If he uses the new download from the SheepShaver download page, there's no longer a need to lock CD images: it sets them correctly now.
What do you mean? Did that download just appear? What is it called?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ronald linked it further up the thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9613 -- it lets you check the CDROM checkbox for the format instead of selecting the format based on whether the file is locked.
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

You mean what's on the link in that first post? That's what I'm already using. My problem is getting the sound to play.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Please try the DL from Macintoshgarden I pointed to above.
Make a clean install onto a blank volume.
Boot from your 8.6 installation - quit the config assistants.
See the stand alone sound CP in the screenshot.
That did the trick for me. HTH

Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

Is it MacOS_86.toast_sit?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thats the one, exactly.
Best of luck with your missing sound!
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

Okay, I currently have the yellowish background with the "CD" icons all over it. The MacOS_86.toast file is checked under "CDROM", while Mac OS 8.hfv and Apple MacOS 8.6 (PowerPC).iso aren't. What do I do now?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Run the installer found on the installer CD you booted from to install onto your Mac OS 8.hfv volume. You shouldn't need the .iso loaded into SheepShaver at all, as it's presumably just another installer CD.

Once your install is complete, you can remove the MacOS_86.toast file from your SheepShaver volumes list and boot normally onto the hfv volume.
Hardback247
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Hardback247 »

I tried to do exactly what 24bit said and I went to the Sound section under Sound Control Panel, but when I select Built-In, the rate only goes up to 22.254 kHz, not 44,100, and then I'm getting a -225 error, and I can't change the Size or the Use.

I went to Volumes, and noticed that Built-In box was unchecked, but when I checked it, it immediately unchecked it again.