Apeiron mouse problem

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Tooncinator
Student Driver

Apeiron mouse problem

Post by Tooncinator »

Hello again.

I am running a version of Sheepshaver acquired from columbia.edu, and I am running it on Windows 7, 64-bit. I think the version from there is mostly a standard installation with some scripts to make file transfer lazier.

The link for that download is here: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9win.html

Anyway, I, once again, have a problem with Apeiron, a game I wish to run. The game launches fine, and it runs perfectly except for one "small" problem. When actually *playing* the game, the mouse will no longer move your ship around. It will still fire, and you can clear some waves that way by just being a little stationary turret, but it's not as much fun as playing it. In addition, the mouse does not work properly when adjusting the controls. I can't actually click anything in the controls interface, it will just verify that I am indeed pressing the mouse one button, but it won't adjust any sliders or tick any boxes. I have to use the keyboard to get out of that screen. Keyboard works fine, by the way.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated! This game is crucial to my grandmother's continued (happy) survival.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Apeiron mouse problem

Post by adespoton »

Did you ever try it under Mini vMac II as suggested? That mouse glitch is going to be hard to get past on Windows SheepShaver.

Although you may also want to use the versions of the emulators linked from this site, as they tend to be the most tested/documented.
Tooncinator
Student Driver

Post by Tooncinator »

Do you know of a guide to getting Mini vMac II to work? I downloaded it, but I'm kind of lost on getting it to actually work. Sorry about that.

Edit: Did some serious detective work and discovered a guide right here on Emaculation.
Last edited by Tooncinator on Fri May 18, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I think I can put something together later.
I´ll have a look at my MEGA cloud too, if you may use something there.
MiniVMac just needs the app, ROM and boot disk.

Fusion PC either in DOSBox or on real hardware (Pentium III, Windows 98) may be worth a try too.
Tooncinator
Student Driver

Post by Tooncinator »

Ooh, Fusion PC. I'll look into that, too. Man, how many Mac emulators are there? Thanks!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Seems this is an oddball really.
I tried game sprockets 1.7.5 and MacOS 8.6 and there is a controls button on the main screen.
However, I can´t seem to configure anything.

If the keyboard settings could somehow made working, that might be a solution.
Why the mouse is misbehaving just with this game is a mystery to me.
Tooncinator
Student Driver

Post by Tooncinator »

It certainly is odd... works everywhere else except in-game and in the controls. I hope it can be fixed! Otherwise, I might have to acquire an old Mac somewhere.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

From a short look, the mouse issue persists with MinIVMac II, unfortunately.
BII Build 142 and Fusion are still to try.
I´m afraid the game is not using mouse system calls as recommended,
but wants to talk to the ADB mouse directly.

Edit: The obvious combo DOSBox/Fusion30 fails sadly.
Not sure if anybody is willing or able to configure DOSBox with 12MB RAM or so.
DOSBox default RAM is 4MB.

Edit2:
Basilisk II Build 142 shows the same unmovable mouse problem.
FusionPC 3.0 handles the mouse for Apeiron correctly!
I only have a Virtual Box installation to try right now where sound is not working.
As mouse is working, I´m positive Apeiron will be fully working with Fusion on matching hardware,
e.g. a Pentium III or Pentium 4 rig with Windows ME or lower running in DOS mode.

If somebody would fix the non working SoundBlaster output in VirtualBox with the VBox instance here,
it would be much appreciated: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/fusion-pc (6th DL)

Here is a screenshot, please note the black square. :)
Apeiron/MacOS6/FusionPC/DOS/VirtualBox

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I got Apeiron 1.02 working with mouse in Mac OS 9.2 using the qemu screamer build and the 256 colour vga driver.
The usb mouse and keyboard should not be used.

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Great!
I thought that someone should try Qemu.
Much better than tinkering with DOS.
Last edited by 24bit on Sat May 19, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tooncinator
Student Driver

Post by Tooncinator »

Thank you!
brklyn.ellie
Student Driver

Post by brklyn.ellie »

Many apologies if this is in the wrong thread but I was having the same issue with Apeiron, on SheepShaver for OS X, not Windows. Trying to sort out downloading Basilisk II presently but wanted to know if it was ever resolved for SheepShaver?
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

I recall having a discussion on Mac Garden about Input Sprockets and mouse controls in Mars Rising. For that game, the strategy of locking the mouse to SheepShaver with control-f5 seemed to work: https://macintoshgarden.org/forum/workaround-mars-rising-control-screen. Does that improve mouse performance in Apeiron?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

brklyn.ellie wrote:I was having the same issue with Apeiron, on SheepShaver for OS X,
Which SheepShaver build do you use on which OSX host? There is a difference in the way the cursor is handled in v2.4 vs v2.5 SheepShaver builds. The way the cursor is handled in window mode in v2.4 builds with the cursor grabbed (Control-F5), is the default in the v2.5 builds.
CptZaphodB
Space Cadet

Post by CptZaphodB »

Elyus wrote:I recall having a discussion on Mac Garden about Input Sprockets and mouse controls in Mars Rising. For that game, the strategy of locking the mouse to SheepShaver with control-f5 seemed to work: https://macintoshgarden.org/forum/workaround-mars-rising-control-screen. Does that improve mouse performance in Apeiron?
Hey, that was me! I just came here to mention that the same fix worked for me in Apeiron, too. Mouse grabbing + Software Mouse = Mouse fixed. The only drawback is not being able to use hardware mouse, but that's okay. I hope that helps!